FIXING TO START

Help Support CattleToday:

RICHARDL

Reaction score
I THINKIN ABOUT STARTING TO RAISE CATTLE. I NEVER HAVE BEFORE. I HAVE 15 GOOD ACRES TO DO SO. AND I WANT TO RAISE FOR BEEF & ALSO TO KEEP THE GRASS DOWN AND IF I CAN MAKE A LITTLE MONEY THAN GREAT. I KNOW I CAN'T HAVE MANY, BUT ANY IDEALS ABOUT SIZE OF HERD & A GOOD BRED TO RAISE OR ANY THING THAT WOULD HELP ME START WOULD BE GREAT.
RICHARDT

Build a place to catch them so that you can vet them when needed is the first thing you need to do. And please put the catch pin in the shade.
Then Angus Angus Angus.

The best thing that I can tell you is to read this forum.

Read all of the questions and most of the answers - ignore the banter - most of it is in good fun and entertaining

I am new to cattle as a full time business (joined father) but I've learned so much that he sometimes gets annoyed at what I've learned so quickly what has taken him a lifetime. (although I don't hold a candle to what he knows :roll: )

welcome and remember the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask ;-)

I WAS THINKIN 2 SMALL BARNS ON ON NORTH SIDE (for winter winds) AND ONE ON THE SOUTHSIDE (for summer heat) WHAT SIZE CATCH PEN ARE WE TALKIN. 30x30 OR SO. MADE OF WOOD OR WIRE OR BOTH? AND WHY ANGUS?? WHAT ABOUT FEED? GRAZING, HAY & GRAIN

There are others that can help more than me and there are old post with lots of info. But to take a stab at some of your questions;
Catch pin: With 15 acres to graze I would not try to do more than 10 pair until you see how it works for you on your place. So Make a pin that you can feed in so that they are easy to catch. 30 X 40 might do with a smaller pin on one end that you can sweep them through into an ally with a head catch at the end. Have the head catch dump out into the first pin with a gut gate so in case you miss the catch the won't get away but when you are finished with them you can let them out.
You can buy a nice little sweep pin with an ally and a head gate to install on the end of your pin. The pin needs to be at least 5 feet tall or more. I would make it out of wood and fence panels. It needs to be strong enough so that the don't push one another through it. A barbed wire fence will not work.
Buy some young angus cows that have had a calf before. I would recommend some three and 4 year olds and make sure that they are gentle cows. Walk with them before you buy they should be use to having people around them not nervous when you walk in the pasture. Visit a few herds. You can tell the difference.
You will need hay for winter-feeding so buy it. You won't have enough cows to buy hay-rolling equipment. You will need a tractor with a hay spear. I loader that will lift a round bail will be much better but a tractor that is at least 55 horsepower in a minimum. The 55 horse is almost too small for a loader so if you get a loader get about a 75-horse tractor min.

Angus is the standard by which other cattle are measured. Others will differ but I like angus. Get in touch with your area angus rep to help you find the cattle you need. He can be found at www. Angus.org. His name is Richard Dyar at 256 659 6305

IMO, the suggestions you have gotten are fine, but for your size of operation a tractor isn't a viable purchase, it will take you 5 years worth of calves just to pay off the tractor. I think in your situation you are better off with square bales. Just my opinion though..... I do think the catch pen and alleyway are important to, but at the same time if you never have any intentions of running more cows, only build what you will need to operate.

RICHARDL, Thats good advice from alabama. I think the most important thing, even more then the breed is the disposition, buy something thats easy handleing, not that hard, there's lots of cattle out there that are tame. But on the other hand there are some awful ones also. Good Luck!

mnmt

RichardL.....all good advice....I'll add....lie down and really think about what you are getting into. As mentioned...before you buy any animals...get your infrastructure in place...fences...water...shelter...handling area...etc. Take it from me...I did it all wrong....and still playing catch-up...although it is an interesting way to learn things!!!! I bought my first cows (3) at sale barn...needless to say I didn't walk amongst them...got them back to my place and put them in my handling area...within 30 minutes they had broken through the fence and out in my pasture....fortunately my perimeter fence (5 strand barb wire along with electricity) kept them in. Needless to say I've learned a great deal since them but still just scratching the surface....I never claimed to be the brightest light in the harbor!!!!! I could go on and on with all the mistakes I've made but don't think there is enough space. But will add...after retiring from 32 years in the military...it was a good decision and enjoy waking up every day...amazing how much you can learn from a cow! Cheers and good luck...Bill

Well, if you are raisin them for slaughter, you'll want the calves to be 51% black+. I would say probably Angus or Angus Cross cows. As for bulls they can be a HUGE problem, so I'd say a Hereford. If you are willing to travel a little farther, I'd much rather a Pinzgauer Bull on some nice Angus, Angus X cows. You'll get some nice overally black calves and the heifers will have the milk and make nice replacements.

HEREFORDS...ALL THE WAY!! You'll love 'em the have personalitys of there own and are great with kids (don't know if you have any) They are wonderful cows, and have a wonderfull association, don't know about it in Lousiana but we have a good one here in Texas.

RICHARDL":21hvnt25 said:
I WAS THINKIN 2 SMALL BARNS ON ON NORTH SIDE (for winter winds) AND ONE ON THE SOUTHSIDE (for summer heat) WHAT SIZE CATCH PEN ARE WE TALKIN. 30x30 OR SO. MADE OF WOOD OR WIRE OR BOTH? AND WHY ANGUS?? WHAT ABOUT FEED? GRAZING, HAY & GRAIN

Barns? My cows have never seen the inside of a barn. Shade is more important.

I agree 100% that a good working pen is top priority.

gabby

RICHARDL, All these folks mean you the best luck in the world, but any GOOD cow is a good cow, get what you like.

mnmt

I would heartily recommend getting your facilities in place first,catch pen,fencing,and cross fencing,lane to move your cattle,chute with headgate,hay for the winter(about 6 - 7 bales per head, depending on where you are located,good water supply,shade,shade,shade, and probably most important, good dispositioned Murray grey cattle that are low maintenance,and good producers. PM me for more info on the wonderful Murray Grey cattle. ;-) :cboy: ;-) :)

I wouldnt get a tractor or a bull for the size of operation you are doing. You can use a utility trailer to move large round bales and they make spear trailers for bales that run between $500-$700. Or if you have a truck you can put the spear on the back. I used to move large round bales with a 4cyl Sanoma pickup with no problem.

A bull is just going to take up space for you and not carry his weight do to the low number of cows. Go with AI.

Id probably build a small storage shed for equipment I didnt want to lug around and a loafing shed for summer shade and winter wind. You should do just fine wihtout either.

3MR":2mpgwslq said:
A bull is just going to take up space for you and not carry his weight do to the low number of cows. Go with AI.

Whoah whoah whoah. AI can be a good tool... BUT. It pretty much sounds like he is wanting beef calves to take to the sale barn each year. You cant be for certain youll get a calf with AI. If you can get your hands on a good temperment bull (I'd go with Pinzgauer if you can find one) you should be fine.

Before I go any farther, RICHARDL- do you have any cattle experience. If you have never been around cattle before maybe AI would be a nice place to start... even good temperment bulls can be a pain SOMETIMES.

Also- As mentioned before- get all your working pens set up, do you have a creek? or do you need to drill a well? get all that set up before you ever bring any type of cow home.

Lovell92":2dhmu4li said:
3MR":2dhmu4li said:

Whoah whoah whoah. AI can be a good tool... BUT. It pretty much sounds like he is wanting beef calves to take to the sale barn each year. You cant be for certain youll get a calf with AI. If you can get your hands on a good temperment bull (I'd go with Pinzgauer if you can find one) you should be fine.

Before I go any farther, RICHARDL- do you have any cattle experience. If you have never been around cattle before maybe AI would be a nice place to start... even good temperment bulls can be a pain SOMETIMES.

Also- As mentioned before- get all your working pens set up, do you have a creek? or do you need to drill a well? get all that set up before you ever bring any type of cow home.

Water, thats a good one, and quite possibly the most important, I havent heard mentioned before.

I would try to get the hay cut off of the place this year, if any. then work on facilities. You will probably be able to buy some cheap cows late winter, this year, for lack of hay. Its sad but true {the American way} take advantages of anothers misfortunes. Many people will sell cattle this year that they don't want to, because of the drought. No hay. Good Luck. PS. don't sell the hay. unless you aren't going to buy any cows.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO. FROM ALL YOU GUYS. IT WILL COME IN HANDY. VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. I JUST DON'T KNOW YET, ABOUT GETTING A BULL OR NOT. I KINDA GREW UP AROUND CATTLE. NEVER REALLY CARE TO MUCH ABOUT THEM BUT I KNOW BULLS CAN BE A REAL PAIN IN THE RUMP. AND THE GUY NEXT TO ME HAS BOUT 15-20 COWS & A BULL. SO THERE MIGHT BE SOME TENSION THERE. SO NOT REAL SURE WHAT TO DO THERE. YES I'M THINKIN FOR SPRING TO BE SET UP. WITH FENCES AND NOW I'M THINKIN JUST A SMALL BARN JUST STORE HAY AND FEED IN ETC... AND I THINK FROM READING ALL OF YALLS IN PUT TO GO WITH EITHER HERFORDS OR ANGUS??? WHAT ABOUT BEEFMASTER??? NOT NO CATTLE EXP. HAVE TRACTORS AND A UTILTY TRALIER. AND HAY IS READILY AVALABLE HERE. I HAVE LOTS OF OTHER QUESIONS ALSO: WHAT ABOUT VACCANIES OR OTHER MEDICAL WORRIES?

Cattle in the South don't need barns for shelter. Assuming you've got a few trees on the place, they can find enough protection from wind and sun in a grove of trees. Build a pole barn for hay and equipment storage. As for a tractor, a small tractor for bushhogging, spreading seed/fertilizer, etc. is all that is necessary. Buy used equipment that has been maintained well. Of course, keeping a breeding herd is not your only option. You could purchase weaned calves, put some ponds on them and sell/eat them. That way you don't have to bother with a bull or AI. Consult with your county extension agent about plans fo chutes and corrals and build them right the first time. You'll never regret it. For the time being, forget cows. Concentrate on facilities: corral and chutes, storage for equipment and feed, gates, and stout perimeter fences. Good Luck!