FIXING TO START

Help Support CattleToday:

You can castrate them or band them, get some experienced help either way.

If your neighbor has 20 cows and a bull right now I would make him my new best friend.

Assuming he has at least a fairly good idea of what he is doing, mirror everything he does and ask a lot of questions.

This is a good thread, guys. Sort of a "beginners guide to raising cattle". A lot of quick questions and answers covering a lot of ground in a short space. Keep up the good work everyone.

And thanks.

Well don't just lop em off. You have to do it right.
Cut the bottom of the sack off without geting the seed. Then pull the seeds out without cutting. If you cut the seed off he will bleed too much so pull the seed out.

SO I GUESS THAT'S WHERE THE CATCH PEN COMES IN AND A VERY SHARP KNIFE. WHEN IS THIS DONE RIGHT AWAY OR AFTER WEINING FORM MAMA.

You may be better off banding them.You could put them in your chute while they are only a few days old.Have a helper to push them up in the corner so they can't move then reach down and feel for both testicals and then slide the band over.
They make a tool that you put small thick rubberband type deals on(or cheerio's some folk's call) the tool spreads them open.Easier and less messy than cutting, if you have no experience.

RICHARDL":14eoyop6 said:
SO I GUESS THAT'S WHERE THE CATCH PEN COMES IN AND A VERY SHARP KNIFE. WHEN IS THIS DONE RIGHT AWAY OR AFTER WEINING FORM MAMA.

The sooner the better.
Listen to Alabama - he's on the right track but personally, I think you should avoid AI. For the following reasons:
1) At this point, you don't really have the facilities or knowledge for AI. You'll have to pay a service.
2) The bull is not going to be major expense - for three or four cows you can get a decent $800 - $1200 bull, I assume you're not looking to go into the show calf business.
3) When the bulls work is done - there's your beef ! Some will disagree but that home- raised, well -fed bull will far exceed anything you're buying in your local store right now.

'Bama is right about the Angus thing. Go to your local stockyard and watch closely. Blacks and baldies are selling better in almost all areas.

SO YOU THINK I SHOULD GET A DECENT BULL FOR MY COWS? THAT'S ALRIGHT WITH ME. I'D RATHER DO THAT THAN HAVE TO DEAL WITH RENTING OR AI. OK SO LETS SAY I'M READY FOR STOCK. WHAT DO I GET FIRST, CATTLE WISE? MAMA COW W/ CALF OR JUST A MAMA COW 3-4 YEAR OLD & A GOOD BULL SAME AGE OR A YOUNGER ONE. AND BREED THEM FOR SOME STOCK, DEPENDING ON WHAT SHE BRINGS ME?? I'M ONLY LOOKING TO KEEP ABOUT 5-6 ON THE 15 ACRES. SO ANYTHING AFTER THAT IS FREEZER OR SALE CALF. AN OH SHOULD I JUST LEAVE EM ALONE TOGETHER IN THE GRAZING PASTURE? SEEM THAT'S WHAT I HAVE SEEN AROUND HERE. AND WHEN THERE READY TO SEP. TAKE EM AWAY FROM MAMA. CUT EM. IF ITS A YOUNG BULL WHAT IF ITS A HEIFER?? DO THE SAME EXCEPT FOR THE CUTTIN PART?? I'M FULL OF QUESTIONS TODAY
RICHART

If you could find some good cow/calf pairs, I'd get them. This shows what kind of calf she'll raise. Then start looking around for a good bull.
Need to think about when you want to have calves. Most want early spring so they can sell a nice 5 - 600 pound calf in the fall. The choice is yours.
We have two bulls running with our cows all the time. Yes, they are in the same pasture bulls, cows, calves, etc.
Don't get too caught up in when to wean but definitely castrate your bulls when they are a few days old - it has always seemed less stressful to me. Less stress on the person doing it too !

OK, COW CALF PAIR. GOTTCHA. OK, FIND A GOOD BULL WHAT AGE WOULD I BE LOOKIN FOR? YES ,EARLY SPRINGS HUNTIN SEASON IS OVER. SOUNDS GOOD TO ME. BUT HOW DO I CONTROL WHEN I GET CALF's. Ahh

Build good fences, corrall and chutes and get a good head gate for these will save you more trouble than you can ever imagine. You will need LA200 ,a good antibiotic, B-12, needles, syrenges, feeding tube, milk bottle, colostrum, milk replacer, bollices, calf puller , a good hose for bloating, hot shot, and a few cattle prods. Get a good barbwire stretcher and fencing pliers for you will need them, and keep a roll of barb wire and wire around as well. Hay rings will save you alot of hay unless you prefer to unroll your hay. With 15 head you could get by with 3 feeding trouths taking their calves into account and it would give the docile ones a chance to feed as well. A good tractor with a front end loader will make life alot easier for you and so will a stock trailer so you can move them around when you please(sale barn,vet,etc.)

Whatever breed you with be sure you get them vaccinated well as soon as you get them.

OK NOW YOU ARE STARTED TO SCARE ME. YES TO WIRE STRECTHER, HAVE 2 TRACTOR W/LOADER & BEEN LOOKIN FOR A STOCK TRAILER. TELL ME ABOUT THE OTHER STUFF.

I am not sure that you will need to have all that other stuff.

A note on calving.
Buy cows that are all calving at the same time. For the southeast, the best time to calve is October. There are several reasons but number one is that you can feed cattle that are in the same stage. That way you don't have to feed a dry cow just so you can feed a cow raising a 4-month-old calf. It will save you a lot of money and you can better manage the weight of you cows. Another reason is that you can wean or sell all of you calves at one time so you don't have to haul off so often or wean them one at a time. This will also shorten your breeding season. That way you can borrow a bull or let you neighbors bull run with your cows for 2 months depending when he is using him. You neighbor might like to let you feed his bull in February and save him the feed cost.
If you buy a bull, he should be at least 15 months old when he goes to work. So buy the youngest one you can so that he is ready at breeding time. You can buy bulls cheap right off the mammas in June in the Southeast and then sell him in April and get your money back on weight gain.

RICHARDL":285gmkyj said:
OK NOW YOU ARE STARTED TO SCARE ME. YES TO WIRE STRECTHER, HAVE 2 TRACTOR W/LOADER & BEEN LOOKIN FOR A STOCK TRAILER. TELL ME ABOUT THE OTHER STUFF.

Never buy anything until you need it. Everytime I buy something with the intent of using it "someday", a few days later I find it on sale or in an auction for little or nothing.
The only way I would buy a stock trailer for an operation this size would be if I could use it for something else - otherwise you're paying license, insurance and taxes on something you're using two times/year. Somebody in your area has one that you can rent or hire for the few times you'll need it.

Bullbuyer":g4o8bn74 said:
RICHARDL":g4o8bn74 said:

Never buy anything until you need it. Everytime I buy something with the intent of using it "someday", a few days later I find it on sale or in an auction for little or nothing.
The only way I would buy a stock trailer for an operation this size would be if I could use it for something else - otherwise you're paying license, insurance and taxes on something you're using two times/year. Somebody in your area has one that you can rent or hire for the few times you'll need it.[/quote]

That is a good reason for a very short calving season. It saves you money evey way you turn. You only havr to hire a trailer once a year to haul off calves and your culs can leave at the same time.

very good sound advice. Yall mention feeding. when do i feed. and what kinda feed or we talking?? Hay or Grain? both?
an as far as a trailer it would be nice to have my own. even if its very used. i don't like to borrow& it could be used else where. If i have a pregnet cow what are my concerns and do i need to feed her grain or just make sure she has hay & grass to graze on & plenty of water????

YOU ASK : If i have a pregnet cow what are my concerns and do i need to feed her grain or just make sure she has hay & grass to graze on & plenty of water????

You will have to watch her and feed her to keep her in fair shap. Not to fat and not too thin.
If she is nursing and got good grass she should be ok. If she is nursing and got only hay she might need a little extra.
If she is dry and long bred, hay or grass should be plenty.

Buy a book on how to raise beef cattle and ask about what you don't understand in the book. lol

GOT ONE ORDER BAMA. JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT I'M GETTIN INTO. SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS I'M JUST NEW.
AND I HAVE PRINTED ALL OF YALLS ADVICE AND ADDED IT TO MY NOTE BOOK. YALL OR ALL INVITED TO EAT STEAK FROM MY FIRST CALF.

RichardT

You keep asking and I will help if I can. Others on here should take this time to correct my post.
I think La. has a master cattleman program. See if you can get in the next class. Call your county extension.

headed of you on that one. tryin to get in touch with him . wating for reply. as far as questions TO ME ALL QUESTIONS I ASKED I JUST NEVER REALIZED OR THOUGHT ABOUT UNTIL NOW i think i know what i'm getting into. THAN AGAIN MAYBE NOT. DOESN'T SEEM ALL BAD IT WILL BE WORK TO GET GOIN. BUT I THINK I'M UP FOR IT.
IF I FAIL THAN AT LEASTED I TRIED.

I can be work. I do chores "every" morning and "every" evening. Rain shin cold hot even hungover. Yep I hit the floor every morning at day light even if it only takes a few minites and back to bed.
You have to love it.

Latest posts