FIXING TO START

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.":3r7w3omy said:
Cattle in the South don't need barns for shelter. Assuming you've got a few trees on the place, they can find enough protection from wind and sun in a grove of trees. Build a pole barn for hay and equipment storage.

Furthermore, if you have a barn to house cattle, they won't use it.

Do a search on the subject....many great posts on file.
Read posts from Bez in his various forms.
Facilities first
Get a mentor
knowledge
then cows
never met a mean herf.
DMc

Perimeter fence

Water and shade

Facilities to catch the cows for medical purposes and loading

Hay and equipment storage

You need to find a mentor in the area. Find out if there's someone close who does AI. You wouldn't need to keep a bull if you have a good AI person. Get to know your vets in the area...it's inevitable you will need one someday.

If you don't get your facilities right before you buy cows you WILL wish you had.

You're not gonna make a lot of money on 15 acres worth of cattle even if you do everything right. You can dang sure lose a whole bunch of money doing it wrong though.

Your vaccination requirements will be a regional thing and you're best to ask local farmers, vet's, and your ext office.

I raise Herefords and they have never given me any reason to consider switching breeds. I have nothing against any of the other popular breeds though.

All advise is good.

In your part of the world eared cattle seem to do okay.
Not sure what part of the state you're in, but Cypress, lives in La. and I'm sure would be glad to help with questions.

Ok, I'm really not lookin to make any money if so than great, i have (2) tractors bushog plows etc.... So lets say i have my corral /catch pen, fences & stoage barn all in place, and i know what breed i want. what next ? what do i need to buy first? mama cow? or ???

richardt

RICHARDL":1q3wpqaj said:
Ok, I'm really not lookin to make any money if so than great, i have (2) tractors bushog plows etc.... So lets say i have my corral /catch pen, fences & stoage barn all in place, and i know what breed i want. what next ? what do i need to buy first? mama cow? or ???

richardt

Ok, now you look at and evaluate your forage base for qaulity and quantity. Correct any difficiencys first. Check around and see what type of animals sell the best in your area for the method you choose to market. Look at different breeds and see which one of those that sell well in your area appeal to you. To get your feet wet you may want to start with a few stockers, just to learn the ins and outs and determine if this is really something you want to pursue for the long term.
If things work out, get a few good quality cows. Either with a calf at side or bred to calf in the timeframe you want to calve.
Then hang on for the ride!

dun

I still think you will need a bull even if you plan to AI your cows. AI is great if you want to produce seed stock or get better calves from your heifers but it is not the way to run a cow calf operation. Nor is it 100%. The top priority in a cow calf operation is a calf from every cow every year.
As for cows. I think the best way to start is with some cows that know what they are doing. Some about 4 or 5 years old should be able to take care of them selves with little cattle knowledge from the owner. Calving out heifers and raising young cattle will require more knowledge as the culls will not have been sorted out. Buy your cows from a good seed stock producer that will be around to help you.
I will be glad to put you in contact with a good breeder in your area if you would like.

You can AI again if it doesnt take. He would probably use a service anyway, many of the ones I know of will come back a second time for free, just to keep your business. Even if he has to do it several times he will only be out the cost of the stem.

If AI is done right and the semen is viable you will have just as high a rate as if you used a bull. If you get it right in front of the horns the bull isnt going to do any better.

If I was that worried about it I would rent a clean up bull.

Now renting a cleen up bull may be the best way to go. Youy can keep a short calving season and you don't have to keep a bull in another pin.
Try to find a way to rent a bull.

THANKS BAMA, IF YOU COULD PUT ME ON A BREEDER I WOULD BE VERY GRATFUL. I LIVE IN ST. MARTIN PARISH, LA. I THINK I'M STARTING TO UNDERSTAND A FEW THINGS. THE PASTURE LAND THAT I HAVE IS BASICLY ALL BERMUDA GRASS. I'M GUESSING THAT WILL DO. WHAT I HAVE IN MIND IS FENCING OFF AT LEAST TO SECTIONS AND ROTATE GRAZING. IS THAT I GOOD WAY TO GO OR JUST NOW WORRY ABOUT THAT RIGHT NOW????
RICHARDT

RICHARDL":w8vo8cm4 said:
THANKS BAMA, IF YOU COULD PUT ME ON A BREEDER I WOULD BE VERY GRATFUL. I LIVE IN ST. MARTIN PARISH, LA. I THINK I'M STARTING TO UNDERSTAND A FEW THINGS. THE PASTURE LAND THAT I HAVE IS BASICLY ALL BERMUDA GRASS. I'M GUESSING THAT WILL DO. WHAT I HAVE IN MIND IS FENCING OFF AT LEAST TO SECTIONS AND ROTATE GRAZING. IS THAT I GOOD WAY TO GO OR JUST NOW WORRY ABOUT THAT RIGHT NOW????
RICHARDT

Check your PM in a bit. I will get you up some info.

Thanks for the info alabama. it really means a lot to me. Ok new question. lets say i purchase a mama cow with a calf. get them home put them in the corral? or turn them loose in the pasture? How long do we leave the calf with mama? what if it's a young bull? what if it a young heifer. or just let them be after turning them loose?? Than what's next if i want to build a little ole herd of 5 head?

I think it is best to put them in a pen for a week or so till they get used to you.They might try and go back home :D .I usually leave the calves on the cow till around 6 to 6.5 mos depending on the conditions.

You can decide if the heifer calves are worth keeping and you can sell the bull calves.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN WORTH KEEPIN?? FOR BREEDING LATER ON?? AND SELL THE BULLS FOR SLAUGHER OR KEEPEM, PUT WEIGHT ON AND SLAUGHTER FORM MYSELF? SO AFTER 6 1/2 MONTHS HOW DO I SEPERATE MAMA COW FROM THE CALF? GET HIM TO THE HOLDING PEN. JUST AWAY FROM MAMA AS YOU CAN TELL I'M PLAYING WITH THE IDEAL OF DOING THIS NOT SURE YET.

Yes,worth keeping for brood cows.You could take the bulls to the salebarn and they would be gone and your done with them or you could steer the bulls and feed them out and have them slaughtered for your freezer but then you would have to buy hay and grain for them because you may not have enough grass for them and the cows.To wean them you could fence off a section next to the cows where the can see each other,so there would be less stress on the calves.Just make sure the fence is good enough so they can't get back together.

OK, I SEE, EVERY BIT OF INFO AND EVERY QUESTION I ASK MIGHT SEEM STUPID. BUT NOT TO ME. I'VE NEVER ACTULLAY HAD HANDS ON EXP. BEEN AROUND ALL THIS BUT JUST WASN'T INVOLED. OK WHAT DO YOU MEAN STEER THE BULL?...SO I GUESS IF I WANT TO HAVE A SMALL HERD I SHOULD KEEP HER.?? AND SHOULD I GET A BULL, OR RENT ONE ETC.. IF THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO DO. FROM DIFFERENT STOCK FOR BREEDING. OR KEEP ONE AND BREED BACK TO MAMA???

By steer he means cut. I personally wouldnt breed back to Momma, but it has been done. Again, I would go with AI. You can rent bulls easy enough though. Just let producers in your area know you are looking and you will get all kinds of leads. I wouldnt buy my own bull for the size herd you are talking about. It will be more problems than its worth.

SEE THERE YOU GO. FEELING LIKE I KNOW EVERYTHING NOW ha ha!! THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT. BUT JUST CHECKIN. AND YES I AGREE BOUT THE BULL. THAT'S ONE THING I CAN REMEMBER IS "THAT &*% $ BULL ". ha ha. UNLESS I COULD GET A "NICE" ONE. BUT THE GUY NEXT TO ME HAS 20 OR SO HEAD OF CATTLE WITH A BULL SO MIGHT BE PROBLEMS THERE. IS THERE ANY OTHER QUESTION THAT I NEED TO ASK?? OR IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I REALLY NEED TO KNOW. HOW DO I "STEER" THE BULL?? VERY CAREFULLY he he

Latest posts