Fix this worn out pasture?

Help Support CattleToday:

CrzyOldMan

Reaction score
Just bought small 26 acre farm in hills of Kentucky. Former owner did nothing last several years but lease it for hay, they cut and never limed or fertilized. In 2018 they didn't cut the hay and it has been fallow. I just bush hogged it. It's mostly broomsage, and briars, but some fescue and occasional clover. Waiting for the soil test and I'm sure it will need lime, but then what? What should I seed? Leave it fallow another year? Mow it a couple times this year? It has no fence so I planned on spending this year fencing and cleaning the place up anyway.

Takes about 6 months for the limestone to begin to affect the soil. So, not a rush there on expensive seeds. Briers would either be a choice of spot spray or total spray. I would wait at least 3 months between limestone application and any fertilizer application from what I have read about the binding process of the two too close together.

If you have any in your area, and it's in a place you won't choke out any neighbors look into chicken litter for your p and k. Around here it's really not much cheaper and it's a pain to spread, but it really does seem to be good for the pastures.
I would put it on every farm field and pasture if it wasn't for my neighbors. You would find me hanging in a tree if I were to spread some spots.

I would try to add to what you have. I would keep the fescue not spray it down. Probably start with getting the ph right and drill more fescue in it.

You'd be surprised what regular bush hogging can do. Spray with remedy, pasture guard, or chapperal for the briers and broadleaf weeds, don't overgraze, and bush hog three times the first year and a lot of the sage will go away. It will come back stronger some years and other years you won't have much. Don't ask me why some years are worse. Also broom sage is not a sign you need lime that's an old legend. Do the soil test and follow recommendations. You probably don't need to reseed just spray and fertilize.

I'd lime to the soil test, and as mentioned 2 tons or so of litter if available mid to late summer. If you can't get litter, then the commercial equivalent in early fall. If you get it right for the fescue and clover, and keep it mowed in the meantime, I'd think the briars would go away on their own.

I would put half the lime recomendation down now, then let the fescue go to seed before I brushhogged it again, put the rest of the lime down this fall. Get a sack and sweep the seed off the hog for future use.

I'm heading up o Princeton, KY next week for a 1 day class on updating/replacing/managing the old fescue that is so infected and hopefully pick up some new tips. results....?????

BlondeD said:
I'm heading up o Princeton, KY next week for a 1 day class on updating/replacing/managing the old fescue that is so infected and hopefully pick up some new tips. results....?????

Any links to info you can get would be greatly appreciated.

All the above thoughts are on target, just depending on the level of inputs available. I'm hoping for some little tid bits that will add to the regular ones.....will definitely post a summary or link to the class.

If you can not graze then bush hogging is the best way to go. Do not worry too much about a soil test, or using chemicals. Getting the soil back into health is the best method to ensure you have a good pasture and will be economically viable. Briars even will be controlled by cutting this year, then if you can rotationally graze it you will be able to control them going forward. I would be looking to add some legume seed to help the nutrient cycle. Chicken manure or any other sort of manure or compost is ideal. If you can raise the organic matter in the soil then the Ph will self regulate.

Maybe also try putting down some brassicas with deep tap roots this fall then graze it or roll it. The tap roots will aerate the soil and the leaf litter will build organic matter. If you're able, rolling the grasses (assuming you're not grazing) will be better for the soil than mowing.

Spray with Remedy and you will only brush hog once. Lime always reduces the sedge on our farms. If I had to choose between spray and fertilizer I would take spray, nothing cleans a place up faster.

Spray it - lime it - fertilize it - seed it. After a year or two you can sell the brush hog.

Kinda stumbled into a potential 37 acre lease place that is in need of work myself. My uncle bought as a investment and asked me if i wavy to run cows on it Got a natural spring supposed to have water year round. 16 acres of grazable pasture grown up since it didn't get bishhogged this year 16 acres of woods/cutover/small grass openings and 5 acres of restricted land. It's supposed to have 2 good sides with fence and will need 2 sides fences. I'm
Thinking about buying a herd of brush cows to run on it it's about 35 minutes from
My place now. But it won't cost me a yearly note in lease just build the fence and maintain the fence that's there already. Just need to look labdbover real good see if it be worth the trouble of running cows on for me

DCA farm said:
Kinda stumbled into a potential 37 acre lease place that is in need of work myself. My uncle bought as a investment and asked me if i wavy to run cows on it Got a natural spring supposed to have water year round. 16 acres of grazable pasture grown up since it didn't get bishhogged this year 16 acres of woods/cutover/small grass openings and 5 acres of restricted land. It's supposed to have 2 good sides with fence and will need 2 sides fences. I'm
Thinking about buying a herd of brush cows to run on it it's about 35 minutes from
My place now. But it won't cost me a yearly note in lease just build the fence and maintain the fence that's there already. Just need to look labdbover real good see if it be worth the trouble of running cows on for me

Whereabouts?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
DCA farm said:

Whereabouts?

Southwest Louisiana

TennesseeTuxedo said:
I ask because it has a lot of bearing as to what will work best in your area.

Yea I run Herefords and red angus type cows at my place with a few cheap bought solid color Longhorns. Watching how the longhorns act at my place now I think think they may be best fit for this lease place them suckers will eat anything

Latest posts