Fishing Question

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Was a gorgeous day out her Sunday. Our son helped his Dad to get things done and we knocked off early and went fishing down on the Missouri River.

Had a few nibbles I did catch a fish but it got off before I could land it.

Now my son was complaining about the 6# line he had on his reel. So I picked him up some 25# line.
Well he was trying to get it on his reel and not listening to my suggestions. I finally took it away from him when he went to throw his pole. He got it as a Christmas gift along with a new reel.
I got the line on. The trouble he was having was the line would unwind from the reel.
It is an open face reel.

I would keep the line snug and reel like I was reeling in a fish.

What do you guys do?

I luv herfrds":3p9f9etc said:
Was a gorgeous day out her Sunday. Our son helped his Dad to get things done and we knocked off early and went fishing down on the Missouri River.

Had a few nibbles I did catch a fish but it got off before I could land it.

Now my son was complaining about the 6# line he had on his reel. So I picked him up some 25# line.
Well he was trying to get it on his reel and not listening to my suggestions. I finally took it away from him when he went to throw his pole. He got it as a Christmas gift along with a new reel.
I got the line on. The trouble he was having was the line would unwind from the reel.
It is an open face reel.

I would keep the line snug and reel like I was reeling in a fish.

What do you guys do?

;) The six pound test was probably adequate......smaller is better. This year on the river the fellows really catching white bass
were using 2lb and wishing they had lighter. Your 25lb test is not suited for that particular reel and spindle. Look on the spindle
and it should tell you how many yards of each acceptable weight line for that particular spool. I hope that helps.

It is also posible to spool the line on the reel backwards. Make shure that the coils are comming off of the new line in the same direction as they are going on to the spool.
Mac

lilmac":2sjga4o3 said:
It is also posible to spool the line on the reel backwards. Make shure that the coils are comming off of the new line in the same direction as they are going on to the spool.
Mac

This is correct. The best way to accomplish it is to lay the spool on the floor and start winding the reel. If the loops coming off the spool are right they will just roll off in big coils. If it is backwards they they will kink. If they kink just flip the spool over, and keep reeling.

BTW get him back on 4 to 6 lb test that 25 pound stuff has another use altogether.

I agree with all that has been suggested, the 25lb test is way to big. when I went after salmon and steel head I used nothing bigger than 8lb test... no need to fish with a rope. A trick I use to do when putting new line on a casting reel (open face) was to have one of my sons put on a pair of gloves and stick a pencil through the spool hole. They would use their hands to put pressure on the spool to help keep the line tight while I cranked the reel to load new line... the gloves were to help with the burn factor. :D Also remember that new line will tend to "rat nest" a little easier than line that is "broke in" a bit.

I miss fishing!
Alan

I've used 6# at a different place we are going to go fishing at and you need the 25# line because when you hook those fish they fight hard and break 6#. Had them break 15# too.

Will check his spool.

I luv herfrds":39im4s0b said:
I've used 6# at a different place we are going to go fishing at and you need the 25# line because when you hook those fish they fight hard and break 6#. Had them break 15# too.

Will check his spool.
That's what properly adjusted drag on the reel is for. Cheap line or that which is more then a couple of years old loses strength because of decomposition. If you get what chalky stuff on your hands when you pull the line through them it's time for nw line. You might also want to learn to try proper knots for the type of hook you're using. The knot is usually the weakest part of the line.

How much do these fishes weigh? And of what persuasion are they? Or, have you ever gotten one out of the water?

I think maybe your equipment is mismatched. Heavy line on a light reel and rod don't work well at all.

I luv herfrds said:
Good morning. What kind of fish are you trying to catch?

I've done a little fishing ILH with open faced reels, to put the line on do as Alan suggested. As far as the test weight, 25lbs is for jumbo, fish. I have caught 15-20 lb northern with 6 lb test. Maybe it's the way he is setting the hook? Heck even when I have caught a snag with 6lb on it has taken everything I had to break that line.

Rainbow trout.
I have lost fish with light lines in several different places. Had one fish hooked, good drag, was set just right and that sucker made such a fast dash through the water it raised a rooster tail with the line and snapped it. Never saw anything like that in my life.
No I do not have a weight on these fish.

Son is also getting into fly fishing this year.

dun gave you the answer to why fish are breaking your line. Set your drag before you make the first cast. Test your knots by pulling hard on the line with one hand on each side of the knot. Also, you should put new line on your reels at least once a year.

The other thing that most kids and alot of adults that should know better so is to keep reeling in when the fish is pulling line off the reeel. With an openface spinning reel that's the easiest and quickest way to get twists in the line. Twists uptimately lead to snarls and not being able to cast weel, loops falling off of the spool and weak/broekn line.

Son is also getting into fly fishing this year.[/quote said:
No ofence but if he cannot land a fish with 6# test line he will not make it with a fly rig using a 2# leeder. :shock:

ga.prime":2lfd4bwl said:
Also, you should put new line on your reels at least once a year.
And DISPOSE OF THE OLD LINE PROPERLY! Not in the river. You should also retie it after catching several fish or after getting it hung-up. If your fishing in a river with a lot of debris ( especially rocks) your line will become frayed and week after a just couple cast.

UFB i am not an idiot. My old line goes into to the burn barrel.
I hate tripping over line that is left on the banks and cuss the jerks who leave it there every time.

lilmac not a good day for me so yes I will take offense. i used to flyfish with my dad years ago going after trout and white fish. Now it is my sons turn to learn to not snag his line in the raspberry bushes.

Sorry if I wanted a heavier line to deal with the river currents. We have gold eye, sauger, sturgeon, catfish, trout and several different fish in our area and you never know what is going to hit on which bait. the paddle fish are down river below fort peck.

I just wanted to know how you guys re set line on your reel. I didn't ask for a lesson in how i have such a poor choice in line test weight.

I luv herfrds":8wzrcg4g said:
UFB i am not an idiot. My old line goes into to the burn barrel.
I hate tripping over line that is left on the banks and cuss the jerks who leave it there every time.

lilmac not a good day for me so yes I will take offense. i used to flyfish with my dad years ago going after trout and white fish. Now it is my sons turn to learn to not snag his line in the raspberry bushes.

Sorry if I wanted a heavier line to deal with the river currents. We have gold eye, sauger, sturgeon, catfish, trout and several different fish in our area and you never know what is going to hit on which bait. the paddle fish are down river below fort peck.

I just wanted to know how you guys re set line on your reel. I didn't ask for a lesson in how i have such a poor choice in line test weight.

I for one was NOT trying to offend you and I gave you my technique for loading reels. As far as using 25lb test. I use that (25lb Mason) for leader when I fish for pike with a flyrod. it's as stiff as wire. If you can fish with it then go ahead. It just doesn't work for me.

I dont know what kind of sturgeon you have, but if it is the white sturgeon I fished for in the columbia in Origon/Washington you need all the line you can get. I used 100lb test. Caught an 8 footer that drug my boat over a mile down river before I got her to the boat and got my hook back. Now that is fun but I wished I had a camara instead of a tape measure.
Sorry about the previous post.
Mac

Sounds like you have a great variety of fish ILH. Good luck I am sure you will figure out the reel and weight of line to use, and posts pics of the great catches.. :)
I haven't gone fishing in years , sure miss it ;we have beautiful rainbow trout here. I used to go with dad all the time, but I bet he hasn't fished himself in at least 5 years.. :(

I'm sorry if you took offence to what I said. It was not aimed directly at you, or anyone for that matter, that is responsible enough to cleanup after themselves. Seeing that this thread has had 250 or so hits the thought was more or less to spread the word that people do take offence to others that believe the best place to dispose of refuse is right where they are standing at the time. I volunteer my time and labor, and that of a helper, to try and keep refuse picked up at our local public boat landings, and though it seems no one I've ever come into contact with has ever thrown down anything, there is always plenty to pickup.

Latest posts