Fish Kill in neighbors pond

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
Our neighbors (really new neighborhood) has a fish kill going on. The housing additions pond spills over into ours. Do you think it will harm the cows? How to you go about getting ours tested?

What showed sickness, and began dying first, large or smaller fish, and what kind. Get ahold of your fish and game dept,(aquatic biologist), or dept of health and get water samples. May only be oxygen depletion, or may be toxins draining into the pond, from the housing , etc.Where I work, it is usually oxygen problems, or parasites. I sure wouldn't wait to long, good luck

Caustic Burno":3jfwaotb said:
Pond turned over.
i agree with burno.the pond turned over.therefore causing a lack of oxygen.thus killing a bunch of fish.turning over usually occurs in the hot summer months.

This is a new pond with a fancy fountain that sprays water all the time. Wouldn't that device create enough oxygen to keep the fish alive? After talking with my boys, they feel it was paint thinner or laquer (sp) thinner that killed the fish. The guy painting the new house has been pouring stuff down the storm sewer which runs into the pond.

I hope it was the pond turning over. If not, maybe it will be diluted enough to not harm anything before it arrives at our pond. I will be real concerned if/when our fish begin dying.

Thank you for the replies. I feel a lot better about it now.

how big is this pond?
if someone poured enough paint thinner into it - either it is more toxic than I'd have imagined or he poured an awul lot down that drain
I'd for darn sure be finding out the problem by calling some sort of authority - fish and game could probably tell you who you need to talk to... if that water is toxic enough to kill a bunch of fish - I'd really want to know if I was drinking from a shallow well :shock: let alone my pond

Gale Seddon":3r8ynigl said:
Caustic Burno":3r8ynigl said:
Pond turned over.

I've never heard that term. Would someone explain please?

The oxygen bearing layer of the pond is usually to top layer. As the weather cools the upper layer becomes heavier and sinks which forces the lower layer to come to the surface. Happens twice a year. In smaller and or shallower ponds it usually isn;t as noticable.
http://fishing.about.com/cs/fishfactsin ... 00703a.htm
http://www.ourlake.org/html/thermocline.html

dun

You should have reported this person for dumbing chemicals in the storm drain. You didn't and now your cows and maybe families health is at risk. You didn't seem to care about the environment or anything until it started to effect you. Maybe this is a big lesson about being a stand up person and doing what is right, not just what is right for yourself at the moment.

Auctionboy, for 14 yrs. old, that was a good post. I would have reported him first for dumping, then found out what was causing the problem.

dun":1seci9mp said:
Gale Seddon":1seci9mp said:
Caustic Burno":1seci9mp said:
Pond turned over.

I've never heard that term. Would someone explain please?

The oxygen bearing layer of the pond is usually to top layer. As the weather cools the upper layer becomes heavier and sinks which forces the lower layer to come to the surface. Happens twice a year. In smaller and or shallower ponds it usually isn;t as noticable.
http://fishing.about.com/cs/fishfactsin ... 00703a.htm
http://www.ourlake.org/html/thermocline.html

dun

Thank you, dun...makes sense. The first site is easy to understand (the second one was a bit over my head). Hope the turnover is the case with ffamom's pond and not a paint thinner dump.

Gale Seddon":aw4qsiss said:
Hope the turnover is the case with ffamom's pond and not a paint thinner dump.

Depending on the location I tend to lean twoards the paint thinner

dun

Auction Boy,
I agree with you that we need to take care of our environment. However, I am old school. I feel I should talk to the subdivision developer first before I call the city inspector. I know he can't control all the subs and he also doesn't want to buy some dead cows from us either. When your land is surrounded by million dollar houses, one must be careful not to anger anyone. They have a lot more money than we do if they choose to sue over the smell or the flies. We work extremely hard to keep the flies down as well as the smell, but when it rains the aroma is a little stouder than I would like. I have alerted the developer to the problem. He said he would get with check it out and get back to me. I will closely monitor our pond for any changes. Thanks for all the comments.

Latest posts