First UK embryos to US are Limousin

Help Support CattleToday:

Tod Dague":37jk75cm said:
Wewild":37jk75cm said:
Scotty":37jk75cm said:
Sorry, crap is 10 to 20 per cwt.

Scotty

You know with lims being the number 3 or 4 breed out there, there must be alot of folks just scraping by because they like the look of their cattle.

Around here the terminal breed of choise is the Charlais. The tan and gray calves top the market.

Maybe year after next for us. I hear the Char's make a yellow calf on Lim's all day long.

dun":3nlq7q2c said:
farmer rich":3nlq7q2c said:
cowboy13":3nlq7q2c said:
They are double muscled. This makes them too tight wound.

Limis arn't double muscled, just well muscled. They are a terminal sire breed after all.

Could you explain what you mean by tight wound? Thanks.

The only tight wound I can think of is that too many of them, even with the touted improvments, are still too nuts

dun

We only had one act a fool the first of this month when we got them up. Probably cause she had been on the bad end of a roping last year.

That would be less than one percent.

cowboy13":f4edt0l2 said:
Tight wound means tight in their movements. They don't move very well. You know what they say about Corona. It's Mexican be nice in a bottle.

Is that all Lim's or just the one you think are double muscled?

I've never seen a double muscled lim and I wouldn't say limis have poor locomotion compared to any other breed. Certainly large mature bulls of all breeds can appear ponderous or sluggish, that is just the nature of their size and weight.

farmer rich":fyqjoyi2 said:
I wouldn't say limis have poor locomotion compared to any other breed. Certainly large mature bulls of all breeds can appear ponderous or sluggish, that is just the nature of their size and weight.

I thought the same thing. Most folks say they got a little to much locomotion.

Beefy":113psj7y said:
baby got back.

I guess your talking about the athletic nature and I once saw 5 lim heifers change pastures 15 to 20 feet apart with touching wire. It was a sight to behold. One of the most graceful sights I have ever seen.

There have been many good post on handling cattle. It is best to practice them with any breed.

We still got Lims and as I stated earlier in this post and others, they ain't that bad for us. It's all we got but a few Red Polls.

Less than 1% fools in a group of cows/calves may be better than the human population ... just our yearly results.

Edit. I ain't saying your a fool or anyone on this board. I enjoy and respect your post.

Limo's arent that crazy. at least not the ones ive dealt with. i think they get a bad rap. some bloodlines may be more highstrung than others but thats to be expected. if you go to a sale, make a note of what breed(s) the crazies are. i'll bet most of them are black and/or eared and i like both black and eared cattle.

Well folks, heres one commercial cattleman that would love to have some of those heavy muscled bulls. I cant find em very easy anymore in the Limi breed. We have too many seedstock producers that are trying to make everything look like an Angus. Of course as it was reported in some of the cattle publications, carcass yeild grades are in the crapper. I think that is because many producers are chasing that CAB status... That makes no sense, as the market wants quality select carcass. that is high yeilding...... The very thing that a Limi, or Char, brings to the table, and in large numbers.

Latest posts