First UK embryos to US are Limousin

Help Support CattleToday:

farmer rich

Reaction score
The first bovine embryos have been exported to USA following extensive negotiation of health conditions. Hexham based company Eggs-Port has recently exported the embryos, all sired by top Limousin bull Nenuphar and collected from Glenrock Riverdance and G. Riviera, twin daughters of Glenrock Juniper, the best breeding cow in the Glenrock herd of Stephen & Helen Illingworth.
The embryos are destined for Linda Fabiola, Dallas and Bob & Betty Anglani of Cedarcreek Ranch, Missouri. Both breeders have used Marquis semen from Glenrock in the past, and have been so pleased with the calves that embryos were the next logical step forward to progress their herds.

Glenrock Juniper
juniper_.jpg

Nenuphar
[/img]
nenuphar.jpg

cowboy13":cbs3kpp5 said:
Thats great, the only thing is they will only hit off with the fullblood breeders. That style of limousin has been out for a long time.

Help me understand the style you are talking about.

cowboy13":1bwcf9gp said:
Nothin, buta commercial cattleman will not pay for embryos like that. Pure limis don't do good at the sale barn. That huge but is out of style.

How bad do they do at the sale?

There are a lot of avg muscled (often black) American Limousins that probably could use an infusion of those "out of style" bloodlines. It is awfully difficult to make lite muscled cattle into heavy muscled cattle. IF you have heavy muscled animals in your breed it is probably a good idea to keep those genetics handy for when you have gotten too extreme in breeding for easy keeping, feminine, heifers with eye appeal and have lost too much muscle in the process and need a quick fix.

cowboy13":1pi1vgbc said:
A pure limousin does not do any good around here. Only moderately muscled animals sell any good. Do yall like the old time limousins?

I think the question was "how bad?".

Scotty":3nuf1g70 said:
Not good looking animals to me.

Scotty

I agree!! But how much would embryos like this cost. Not interested just wondering how much someone would pay for a cross like that. Limos dont do very good here lucky to get dollar or so.

cowboy13":htvsp57q said:
A pure limousin does not do any good around here. Only moderately muscled animals sell any good. Do yall like the old time limousins?

No, I would not want to be breeding a herd of old style straightbred Limousins to run through the stockyard but as somebody who likes crossbreeding I do like to have extremes floating around out there. In an ideal world, I could easily find big, thick butted Ang-Lim composite bulls to use on black baldie cows to pump up the muscle on the calves I was selling. My problem with some purebreeders is that instead of doing what their breed does well, they are too busy breeding their cows to do what another breed does well.

SCfarms":mh8ba8cy said:
400-500 pound calf black calves that are that big will bring 1.25-1.85

Up to $1.85 huh? $1.62 for the 240 range was highest here this week. Dang he must of been a lim.

cowboy13":2oi9u3xo said:
I'm not trying to down limousins. I RAISE THEM! We also have a commercial herd that we take to the sale barn. They are thick, black and black baldies. I do like thick Lim-Flex bulls, they are nice. I just don't like old time limousins. Not only is it the muscle, but thier structure is horrible.

I didn't say you were downing them. Wouldn't care if you did. It's your opinion. We put the check in the bank and the pure Lims seem to do OK here. Some at the top .. some at the bottom .. and a lot in the middle to higher once you review the sales reports. I think we can do better and will in the next year or so.

Around here also the fulls and halves sell like crap. I had a guy tell me one time that he used 1/4 blood bull with Angus and Herefords went good. Just showed a little more muscle. Bred them against his blk baldies.

Scotty

Scotty":3svp86cf said:
Around here also the fulls and halves sell like crap. I had a guy tell me one time that he used 1/4 blood bull with Angus and Herefords went good. Just showed a little more muscle. Bred them against his blk baldies.

Scotty

How bad do they sell? Crap is hard to convert into dollars.

I haven't seen commercial cows breed to lim bulls do bad.

Scotty":2bc8n4j2 said:
Sorry, crap is 10 to 20 per cwt.

Scotty

You know with lims being the number 3 or 4 breed out there, there must be alot of folks just scraping by because they like the look of their cattle.

Wewild":3ipa015a said:
SCfarms":3ipa015a said:

Up to $1.85 huh? $1.62 for the 240 range was highest here this week. Dang he must of been a lim.

A couple of weeks ago my uncle (the one that raise F-1) sold a hereford cow for $0.60 a pound this cow weight no more than 700 pounds had pink eye and was limping. The prices are high down here in April we were selling 350 pound calves for $2.00 a pound :shock: then when th summer hit it kinda fell down. I personally dont like Limos because they dont bring much money and cows cost the same to feed and keep up. I like Brangus, Herefords, F-1's, Angus and Brangus/Angus crosses thats what bring in the paper here.

Crap is crap. Right next to me(kick) was crap. The wifes cat. I have seen some limos look rally good. Even calm. I don't set prices just observe.

Scotty

SCfarms":33cs4x0a said:
Wewild":33cs4x0a said:
SCfarms":33cs4x0a said:

A couple of weeks ago my uncle (the one that raise F-1) sold a hereford cow for $0.60 a pound this cow weight no more than 700 pounds had pink eye and was limping. The prices are high down here in April we were selling 350 pound calves for $2.00 a pound :shock: then when th summer hit it kinda fell down. I personally dont like Limos because they dont bring much money and cows cost the same to feed and keep up. I like Brangus, Herefords, F-1's, Angus and Brangus/Angus crosses thats what bring in the paper here.

I can't put much stock in yesterday. I live in today and tomorrow. I thought we were trying to talk about current prices

Latest posts