First time tractor buyer

Help Support CattleToday:

fourwinds

Reaction score
I need some insight into buying my first tractor. I am on 160 of basically flat ground. My intentions for this tractor are mowing pastures and pecan orchard, towing a small ground driven manure spreader, disk for fire control, tow behind pecan harvester. Move round bales w/ 3pt. All "serious" farm work like haying or tilling fields will be hired done.
Money is an issue but so is not having to fix it every time I turn around. I'm looking for suggestions of tractors to look at and those to stay far away from. At this point I think I will stay away from a bucket/loader as I don't think I'm ready to tackle that just yet.
Thanks for any input
Michelle

Don't know a thing about pecans or harvesting them, but for the other chores you might consider an older Ford 4000 or 5000. They are relatively inexpensive, simple, and easy to get parts for. The 4000 is 52 hp and the 5000 is 62. My father and I have had quite a few of each over the years and though they are getting older, around '70-'75 or so, there are still a few good ones out there.

I'd stay with the major "USA" brands of at least 40 or 50 hp. The "foreign named" brands can have service and parts problems and delays. The major brand names also have better resale value IMO.

Running Arrow Bill":1s620n6t said:
I'd stay with the major "USA" brands of at least 40 or 50 hp. The "foreign named" brands can have service and parts problems and delays. The major brand names also have better resale value IMO.

Only thing wrong with this advice is I think it is about 10-15 hp low.Otherwise spot on.

Grab a FEL to go with it.

Bez!

Bez!":2yy6ib6k said:
Running Arrow Bill":2yy6ib6k said:

Only thing wrong with this advice is I think it is about 10-15 hp low.Otherwise spot on.

Grab a FEL to go with it.

Bez!
I agree with you Bez. Always better IMO, to get a Tractor a little bigger than your anticipated needs.The Front End Loader will come in real handy Michelle.There are always good buys out there, just take your time and look around.

If you ever use a front end loader I don't think that you will ever want to be without one.

[/quote]The Front End Loader will come in real handy Michelle.There are always good buys out there, just take your time and look around.[/quote]

I have no doubts that a front end loader would be very handy...just not sure that I can find a mechanically sound tractor in my price range with a bucket. Thinking along the lines of getting started and then upgrading. My pecan orchard is over 200 trees and if it were cleaned up so it could be harvested the profits could go toward the newer...better tractor. I also have some safety concerns regarding an older tractor without ROPS and new inexperienced operator w/ a bucket....
Michelle

Michelle,

Not sure where in Oklahoma you are located, but Enlow Auction in Tulsa has a weekly tractor auction. All sizes, all shapes, all colors, many have loaders. If handy, you might swing by one night and check it out. It would give you a good idea of what can be had for the dollar. Seems like it is on Tuesday nights maybe?

Also might check out http://brinkleyauctions.com/

It's located at Idabel and as you can see in the picture, it's a big operation. Tractors sell on the Thursday before the 3rd Saturday of each month.

Yard.jpg

One note about auctions, get some help before just showing up at the sale with a pocket full of money. There will be lots of junk that looks like junk. However, there will also be lots of junk that has a really fresh paint job and may not look like junk - But it's still junk.

Without a lot more info I think your first consideration would be parts and maintenance, in other words is there a really good dealership near you. Doesn't matter what colour their iron is. I was lucky and may not have even gotten off the ground if I hadn't gone to the right dealer.

Now I bought a lot of iron and tin, but if they hadn't stood behind it I'd be hurtin. ( Except for one implement all my stuff is used, well used ).

Ask your neighbours and visit dealerships that are close. Take your time!

I don't know what you are going to mow with but even a small haybine would use 40 horse. Personally I like a minimum of 60.
Make sure you get live PTO.

If you hadn't mentioned the mowing I was thinking an 8N or 9N
type might be the ticket? Cheap, simple and reliable if you get a good one. I wish I had one around here quite often.

AngusLimoX":n7qmfck3 said:
I don't know what you are going to mow with but even a small haybine would use 40 horse. Personally I like a minimum of 60.
Make sure you get live PTO.

If you hadn't mentioned the mowing I was thinking an 8N or 9N
type might be the ticket? Cheap, simple and reliable if you get a good one. I wish I had one around here quite often.

Thanks...by mowing I dont' intend to bale just brush hog for weed and fire control. I have the word out to several neighbors. I'm sort of out in the boonies so any dealership is going to be a distance.
Michelle

When you have a pecan orchard don't you shake the trees?
Seems that would take a bigger tractor? Somewhere in the
80-90 hp range? Is a pecan harvester a tree shaker? Or something that picks the pecans off the ground?
I've seen some of the orchards east of Tulsa from the hiway
and thats about all know about pecans in the pre-pie stage.

dj":vul5y6sb said:
When you have a pecan orchard don't you shake the trees?
Seems that would take a bigger tractor? Somewhere in the
80-90 hp range? Is a pecan harvester a tree shaker? Or something that picks the pecans off the ground?
I've seen some of the orchards east of Tulsa from the hiway
and thats about all know about pecans in the pre-pie stage.

Actually the shaking part is done by a professional usually hired "on shares". They also have a deal to pick up off the ground. It is possible to buy a tow behind harvester that looks somewhat like a lawn sweeper. These are sized to tow behind ATV or like vehicle and are ground driven. If one is willing to wait nearly all the pecans will fall on their own. I have something close to 200 native pecan trees...nearly half of them in places where the pro harvesters won't want to go so I either have to pick by hand or purchase one of the small harvesters.
In 2004 I picked 600 lbs of pecans by hand...rather not do that again.
Michelle

buckaroo_bif":1bm9tq42 said:
must be a canadian term :lol:

I like your manner of thinking.

For those that do not know - when a tractor is advertised, the advertizee must pay for the advert - often by the word.

So when you see a tractor advert in a paper or magazine with "FEL" it means there is a front end loader and it also means the advertizee has saved some money by posting one word - FEL - vs three words - Front End Loader.

Might not be much when you are trying to sell one tractor - but if you are a dealer - or better - a real big dealer - you can spend a pile of money on adverts.

Have a good one! 8)

Bez!

Latest posts