first time putting up hay all by our selves

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3cyqciud said:
Caustic Burno":3cyqciud said:
I haven't put a pencil to it this year, but I bet its close to 25 bucks, fertilizer at 300 a ton diesel at 2.50 a gallon not counting bailing twine and maintainence. Custom bailers are getting 25 a roll here and they have no fertilizer cost in the operation and that is a 20 roll minimum on a field.

The only field we baled that I can actually figure the cost on produced 44 1000 lb bales and used 47 gallons of diesel for cutting, tedding, raking, not sure about the baling because the neighbor came in and baled while I went and raked his field. The other fields are small odd shaed things that don;t take refueling to do several of them so I can;t figure out what they fuel costs are. I've got to be missing something here, seems like it used to run around 6-7 bucks a bale to bale it. Sure beats the $38 a bale I paid to have stuff shipped in last year, even it they are 1500 lb bales.

dun

Dun,

Quit trying to apply logic to this, CB said it wasnt worth it and its not worth it. lol
As another post said about hay, when its dry beggars cant be chosers. You take what the lord gives you or you sell your cattle. Poor is better than none, I wonder how many people in this drought didnt bail "poor" fields because you could buy it cheaper and ended up paying 60 bucks a roll for sorry hay? Hindsite is ALWAYS 20/20

MD

redfornow":1kgwcoyo said:
As another post said about hay, when its dry beggars cant be chosers. You take what the lord gives you or you sell your cattle. Poor is better than none, I wonder how many people in this drought didnt bail "poor" fields because you could buy it cheaper and ended up paying 60 bucks a roll for sorry hay? Hindsite is ALWAYS 20/20

MD

A guy up the road baled 30 acres of queen anns lace and sold every bale.

dun

also one must keep in mind that i have mules and donkeys, and now highland cattle, the higher the quality the hay the less thay like it! i dont want to feed out trash, but i dont have to have the best either but if there is a few weeds, that's icing on the cake for the donks..the other field has lots of good grass,we are setting it aside for the cows. it would be too good for the donks. hope every ones has a good hay season, Rose :)

msscamp":1bo3jxf5 said:
Brownmule, I applaud your effort and determination, but I have to agree with Caustic. You're burning more in diesel than it would cost to buy hay.

Your doing fine Brownmule. Eith the lack of rain around here there won't be any to buy. So here anyway you may as well Bale what you can get.

dun":1c7jgpuy said:
msscamp":1c7jgpuy said:
Brownmule, I applaud your effort and determination, but I have to agree with Caustic. You're burning more in diesel than it would cost to buy hay.

That depends on the availability of hay in that area. The last time we bought hay, last summer, the trucking ran twice the cost of the hay. Even at todays fuel prices, it costs a lot less then $25 per bale to put it up.

dun

Very good point and one I failed to take into consideration. :oops: Another factor I failed to take into consideration is the cost of trucking hay in. One of these days I will get this regional difference thing down, I hope. Thanks for pointing those things out, Dun, I appreciate it very much! :)

It costs me about $27/acre to bale in materials and fuel. This does not include wear and tear on equipment or any repairs that might come about. Depending on how many bales per acre you get would vary the cost per bale. Some years I spend a pretty penny on replacement parts for the equipment and others I spend very little.

Just a word of advice if you are rolling hay with an old bailer. I have used old worn out equipment for years and the one thing that will put you out of business quick is a failed bearing in a round roller. The ones on the bottom seem to take the most wear and when it goes, it will get very hot very quick. This heat will catch the hay on fire and burn down your bailer and your tractor if you are not ready for it.
Try to get off the tractor, walk around the turning bailer, and listen to the sounds it makes often. Check your bearings and feel for heat every few rolls until you get familiar with your bailer. I take a small drill bit, make a small hole in the side of bearings, and grease then with a sharp pointed end in the grease gun before every days use.
Listen and watch for trouble and always carry a water fire extinguisher and plan way to get unhooked from the bailer quick.
Good luck your hay will get thicker when it rains.
PS. Short hay bailes better in a squear bailer than a round bailer.

Alabama gave you some VERY good advice.Keep a fire extenguisher close and check the bearings.Seen it happen.

you go girl...... its kinda what we have been doing, gathering up equipment, and baling our own, it may not be purty equip. but it works, i seen an ad for hay in the shopper here while back for 50.00 a roll, the ad came out on friday, and saturday morning it was all sold, aint very many people selling any hay, they are keeping it for thier own use, we are baling what is available, on 75-25 split. people are baling places that i didnt notice being baled in the past.
not wanting to but into your business, but ya better cover up them legs, and arms if your in the fields all day or you'll burn up. which can lead to skin cancer..

samm

endebt":1zjga2aw said:
You ranchers come on here and ask for opions. Then when you are told the truth you get upset. If you do'nt want the truth then why ask for it. I always want the truth. Do'nt put sugar on it , because it will still taste like sh t. Just tell me the truth i ask for it. Hope you can understand this. You are baling you own hay good for you. But i believe you can buy it cheaper than bale it. Unless you have alot of (good) grass you can not graze.

Actually point be told, she didnt ask for opinions. She was just excited to share what she was doing as far as I could tell.

But then thats just my opinion.

Caustic Burno":1t52j0je said:
dun":1t52j0je said:
msscamp":1t52j0je said:

That depends on the availability of hay in that area. The last time we bought hay, last summer, the trucking ran twice the cost of the hay. Even at todays fuel prices, it costs a lot less then $25 per bale to put it up.

dun

Custom bailers are getting 25 a roll here and they have no fertilizer cost in the operation and that is a 20 roll minimum on a field.

Thats about the same in Central Oklahoma, Hay is still pretty expensive right now though, so It could still be worth it. IMO though; In a situation like that I am more of one to stockpile rather than bale.

Its easy enough to check and see if you are getting your monies worth out of bailing though. Dont guess, test!

brownmule":2l1z76jt said:
still got a coulpe dog legs in them LOL but i didnt get in the brush so it's all good. Rose ;-)

Didn't anyone tell you that you get more hay in a crooked windrow?

Muratic":3a44ce4s said:
Didn't anyone tell you that you get more hay in a crooked windrow?

Then I should be getting twice as much hay per acre then I am

dun

more hay from a crooked row? well that makes me feel better LOL. :lol: we have an square bailer, wish i had a round bailer.. well maybe santa will bring me one LOL. i feed both here, i buy round bails from a friend.i feed them when im gonna be at the farm for a few days, but would like to get round bails for the cows. the next field were getting ready to bail is 2 big fields, very thick hay. should of all ready been up but have had rain off and on latley, Fire extinguisher good idea! i thought about that when we was in the field, should be something we pack. i carry one on horse trailor, in case the mules decide to play with matches LOL we did really well on hay last year have 400 bails {sq} left over, but we put up extra.. i ran low one year{got 2 draft mules in feb that i wasnt counting on at the time} i never want to run low like that again, that was tight!we will help our friend put up his hay inturn we get a deal on ours. we're all waiting on a break in weather.. then it will be hay time again. hope you all need rain get it soon, iknow its getting pretty dry out west.. Rose

How do some of you figure she's using more fuel than it's worth? Looks like she's coming to, possibly, the top of an incline where hay might be little thinner. Might be thicker elsewhere.If she does'nt cut it what should she do with it? Graze it, which might take fencing? How much fuel could that little tractor use an hr? I've seen "pro's" using a heckuva lot bigger trac. than she's using and making half the windrow she is. You hafta do what you hafta do, so as "Oprah" would say,"You go girl."

thanks for the" you go gurl ", and everys one's coments, pros and cons. yeah my little tractor doesnt use half as much fuel as dougs big one, i was really suprized how long i can run mine,before filling up. i cant go a s fast as the big boys. but i get there LOL i use mine to brush hog my blue berry feild, and i can get in and out a tight places with out chopping up the plants LOL we use it last summer to clear the land we bought, we got the big tractor last fall, . i want a bucket for mine it would be the ticket for getting in and out of the barn, Rose

Latest posts