first time heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

14-15 months and weigh 700-900 lbs depending on their genetics for mature size. Generally, if they're cycling they're big enough so you just need to go by the age.

dun

hhossohh":1zvcpqdm said:
how old should they be. red angus

Pretty much. That is my dad, 80 years ago.

dun

hillbilly":t2yod797 said:
Nice picture Dun, Does that picture look as much like you as my picture looks like me??

Nope, but you know genetics do occasionally skip a generation

dun

hillbilly":22vi9gvo said:
Fine looking man........are you adopted??? ;-) :lol:

Ok Dun, and others...I held off on breeding my heifers in my starter herd until they were two. Everything I read said that letting them mature a little longer would make their first calving easier. Your thoughts? These were Hereford/Angus/Brahma cross heifers.

BREED THEM BEFORE TWO YEARS OF AGE!!!!! That is wasting 9 months or more of time that they could have a calf. If you breed them at 800 pounds you shouldn't have to worry about a thing as long as you breed to a good calving ease bull. You'd be breeding them when they should be calvin'.

I concur with Jake except on the weight part. Depends on what size these heifers would be as mature cows. If they're from smaller animals and will only mature around 1000-1100 lbs you can safely breed them at 650-700 lbs. If a heifer calves as a 2 year old it's sort of figured she will break even on her 4th calf and start making profit on her 5th. My figures show a year earlier then that, but that's still a 5 year old cow.
Get them into production, if they don't work out you've wasted less money.

dun

FLJoe":2xok368f said:
Ok Dun, and others...I held off on breeding my heifers in my starter herd until they were two. Everything I read said that letting them mature a little longer would make their first calving easier. Your thoughts? These were Hereford/Angus/Brahma cross heifers.