First time calvers

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
Will they typically milk as well with the first calf as they will with subsequent calves?

Thanks for the reply. I have one that dropped last night, she seems to have very little milk. The calf is trying to nurse constantly but doesn't seem to be getting much out of the deal. I'm hoping it has gotten plenty of colostrum, no way to know though I guess.

You should keep a close eye on the calf; poor milkers can quickly starve a calf. Might be worth it to rope and milk her to see if she's producing.

I'd rope her and see if she has milk atleast. If she does, and you know she is being fed well - that's all you can do for her. You can supplement the calf if you feel it needs it, sometimes heifers take a couple days to kick into gear I've seen before.

And then some calves like to bunt, and go from teat to teat quickly when they are learning to nurse too - cows that have milk, seems the calves just get over eager and cant pick just one.

I have colostrum supplement handy. Any tips to bottle feeding? This will be a first for me should it be necessary. I will be checking the calf shortly

jallen":324guhpx said:
I have colostrum supplement handy. Any tips to bottle feeding? This will be a first for me should it be necessary. I will be checking the calf shortly

put a lil molasses on the nipple. When using replacement milk use milk based not soy.. Do not use too much milk replacer than directed i always use a lil less. Do not try to make it drink too much I always start off with half a bottle then build up. I have also found if the nipple is really firm its harder to start them on a bottle. Thats just my personal experience and :2cents:

If the nipple has a big enough hole in it that the milk will drip out without being even sucked you can squirt some into their mouths which helps them get the hang of it faster.

aprille218":1on4l59l said:
If the nipple has a big enough hole in it that the milk will drip out without being even sucked you can squirt some into their mouths which helps them get the hang of it faster.

That can be done by squeezing the nipple doesn't necessarily have to be done by a large nipple hole. :2cents:

A little more in the bag this afternoon and the calf is nursing best I can tell. She goes from teat to teat a lot though. She never stays on one for long enough to do any good it seems like. At this point I feel like the calf is probably getting enough and should be ok.

I had a first time heifer that took 2 days to start producing decent milk this year. I fed a bit of replacer to get the calf going and then backed off as she came in. Now she has the biggest bag of all the heifers that have calved so far.

Checked again this morning, the heifer has more milk this morning than at any point so far. The majority seem to be in the rear of the bag and of course the calf wants to nurse the front. I feel like the calf should be getting what it needs but it won't stay on a teat long enough to do jack squat. It just punches the bag and bounces around. If its not getting milk its not because it isint there. I don't have time to babysit the stupid thing and momma is making milk so its on its own at this point. Sometimes I wish animals were just a touch smarter for the sake of my sanity.

jallen":2klwvtn4 said:
Thanks for the reply. I have one that dropped last night, she seems to have very little milk. The calf is trying to nurse constantly but doesn't seem to be getting much out of the deal. I'm hoping it has gotten plenty of colostrum, no way to know though I guess.

Good solid yellow feces from the calf is a pretty good indicator of colostrum consumption.

I've yet to see this calf defacate. Seems to have good energy and be doing ok, momma is making milk that's for sure.

I would like ask this question here since it was mentioned briefly earlier and i've been wondering about it....my uncle has a couple of bottle calves so he is having to buy Milk Replacer and I'm pretty sure the milk he has been buying lately could be Soy based not for sure. It says soy-something on the ingredients but its the third or fourth ingredient so I may not be right. Our vet says the brand is a really good brand and it is working great for him...his two calves look really good. What is the reason behind some of y'all saying the soy based is not good replacer? I can see why the actual Milk based replacer is better so you don't have to explain that I just want to know why some of y'all stay away from the Soy based.

Baby calves digestive systems have a hard time digesting plant based protien. Essentially they starve on a soy based replacer.

A few years ago, we were feeding several and to keep costs down we thought to try a bag as it was quite a bit cheaper. Within 3 days you could see the calves going downhill on it. In the end, we mixed it off with good replacer on some older calves.

Latest posts