First time and hopefully last

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Went out at 5:30am to check herd. As I was approaching, I could see a few cows circling & looking at the ground. As I got closer, I could see a leg flopping around. Got a sinking knot in my gut. There on the ground was our best heifer, with ALL her guts hanging out. She had jumped a 1-strand fence (for whatever reason??) and had slit her stomach wide open on a little 3' steel post.
I was sick.
Called vet to see what probability of saving - about 0%.
Had her butchered.
She was a 3-29-07 born, weighed 320# on 6-10.
I'm still sick.
Just thought I would vent a little.
Anyone had this sort of accident? Been raising cattle for 35 years - this is first.

Impaled on a t-post??? THAT is a new one. With the price of steel what it is I can certainly see using as small a t-post as you need for a post especially on temporary fence, but after hearing THAT story, I think I will keep buying the old 6 to 7 footers.

It wasn't even a T-post. Just one of those single round rod, that's maybe 3 ft tall with the little triangle on the bottom to push into the ground. Post was bent over, had little bit of hair on it. Bellie was sliced like you took a knife to it. Just deep enough to go through all layers, without cutting into the guts. They were completely intack. Virtually no bleeding.

Not a good way to start your day. I'm sorry for your loss and hope the rest of the day is better.

Like Dun said, "That sucks!"

Every now and then a freak accident would happen on the dairy. Each time my Daddy would get sick over it...I guess you never get used to stuff like that. Thank goodness things like that very rare.

Talk about a day buster. I'm sorry, Jeanne.

Alice

There are two good things that come to mind. The animal didn't suffer forever and die on her own. You were able to get her out of her misery sooner, having found her when you did. Secondly, you were able to butcher so it wasn't a total loss. Even with those two positive attributes, it is a negative experience. So sorry this happened to such a good person as your self.

backhoeboogie":3senv3a7 said:
There are two good things that come to mind. The animal didn't suffer forever and die on her own. You were able to get her out of her misery sooner, having found her when you did. Secondly, you were able to butcher so it wasn't a total loss. Even with those two positive attributes, it is a negative experience. So sorry this happened to such a good person as your self.

Good points but it still sucks. Sorry for your loss.

cfpinz

I would have fully expected one of those little rods too bend under the weight NOT do that kind of damage. Live and learn.

Yeah, I use the h_ck out of those things. Im sitting here wondering what I can do to prevent the same thing from happening to one of mine. They have bent then up, but never hurt themselves on one.

Maybe up the Jules so they dont even try to get over.

I know what you are talking about Jeanne. That sinking feeling deep down in your stomache, when you look out across your pasture and realize something isnt right.

On one of my sons construction jobs an inspector tripped and hit his head in one of those little rebar pipes that(of course) the pcp cover had fallen off of. Killed him.. Stuff happens.
I'm sorry..

These freak accidents are always the most sickning, sorry you lost a good heifer. I am using the plastic 'step in' posts for my moveable electric fence, would this be a safer option?

When my husband and I were dating, he had one get down into a little creek and had a stick in the side of her belly. I hate to hear that for you. You put all your time and money into them and some of the best still get lost.

Thanks for all the nice comments. It's just "one of those things" but sure is hard to swallow.
We're in the process of getting the site ready to put up our new barn - so everything is torn apart. Fencing is down & we've been "re-routing" the source of "hot" supply. Fence between fields was not hot. They had plenty to eat, but you know - it's always better on other side. Other calves had slipped under the fence & she must have decided to jump it. We mostly use the step in plastic posts. This was a "permanent" hi-tensile division fence, single strand, with all steel posts. She did bend the post, it must have just "slid" across her bellie as she went over - slicing it as neat as I would gutting a deer. Just cut through the two layers, not cutting open the inners.
I think it happened maybe 10-15 minutes before I got there. $hit happens! but to be that unicque an accident and to my best - yuk!
We're having heart & liver tonight! (that's usually our "victory" dinner after a deer kill)

Sorry to hear about your loss. We had a similiar thing happen with a horse. First animal I had to shoot on the place and it was not fun. It was a colt that my daughter raised for 2 years from her horse. And was very attached too.

Latest posts