first cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Have a vet check them out, have them wormed, keep the feed and water to them, and give 'em lots of love. They will turn around for you......

What'd you have to pay for them? Anything you can do yourself without Vet bills will help in the long run. A good worming will really help.

rc":2q4oixgo said:
What'd you have to pay for them? Anything you can do yourself without Vet bills will help in the long run. A good worming will really help.

Their cost is the first thing that came to mind for me too. If you bought those right, you can do something with them. There is not a lot of nickels to be made, but you could come out okay. You have to ask what your time is worth with a project like this and you have to calculate the risk of losing something. A person with only 4 head has more time to invest (and go through learning experience) dealing with them.

One positive I see in the second pic is that they don't have a huge flight zone. Won't be much problem to pen and work them by yourself or if you have a vet come out.

Glad to see at least they are in the hands of someone who cares enough to bring them throught this.The person you purchase them from are they known for sellling cattle or even cattle like this ?

i have been using pour on agri-mectin for a wormer. and there is a differance in them allready. i should have posted a better pic. and they are full of spunk i was out there today walking down the fence line and anytime i got more then 50' away from them they would run full speed towards me and stop about 2' away and look around like why you looking at me.. i will post some new pics in a few weeks.

Turn them in that turnip patch back there by that fence.

They'll enjoy that. :lol:

not sure how it is else where in the country but i see a lot of thin cows coming off large swampy ranches in s. fl. i have bought a few first calf heifers where the calf was left on to long and the cow had worms. pulled down real bad but they recover on good grass and some wormer. as mentioned before if you buy them cheap enough themn u can make out a right.

aquajon":2c4820gh said:
i have been using pour on agri-mectin for a wormer. and there is a differance in them allready. i should have posted a better pic. and they are full of spunk i was out there today walking down the fence line and anytime i got more then 50' away from them they would run full speed towards me and stop about 2' away and look around like why you looking at me.. i will post some new pics in a few weeks.

They like you ! No, wait, they LOVE you - big daddy with the food bowl . :D

Good luck. It will be fun to see them improve .

Actually, they look better than my little sick calf!
Whats the deal with 'culls'? My brother said my calf may have been somones culls. Now, I am wondering about the meaning of the guys comment, 'I wouldnt eat them'. Of course you wouldnt now, and I wont eat my pet cow later as well. But why Wouldnt a person fatten up a steer that was a 'cull' and eat it?

pat

To me they look like a dairy calf, probably jersey. If they are jersey steers don't expect them to gain very well. When my wife and I were in college, our cattle were at her parents farm and their jersey bull got in with the beef cows and bred one of ours. That jersey/maine cross was fed for about a year and a half and when we took him to the locker we only took home about 450 lbs. of beef. Just feed them well and hopefully you didn't pay more than $125 for them. That's the going rate around here for dairy steers that young.

I agree with shorty...worm them put them to feed...

look like jerseys...but i am sure they are better beef than the grocery store or mcdonalds...donna

I have to say, when the pics finally "loaded" on my computer, it made me sick. But, I agree, they look healthy -emanciated, but healthy.
I have to ask. Can you SEE how THIN they are? I think the normal "city" person just doesn't look at animals the way we do. Many newbies will post an animal that they are sooo proud of, and most on here would hide them if they were on their farm.
It has been mentioned, but I will say it again. They need to be fed grain very carefully - slowly - BUT, they should be getting it DAILY, preferably twice a day, each morning & evening. This is much easier on their system.
Make sure your dewormer takes care of liver flukes.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Latest posts