First calf of the year.

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
My 99 Gelbvieh heifer calved tuesday. A bull calf that clocked in at 89lbs. It took her a little over an hour from the waterbag coming out to deliver him unassisted.
I will admit that I was about 5 min from giving her a hand but she really never looked tired so I let her go. The calf also never looked in trouble. She amazed me when she got him out half way she jumped up and finished expelling him and before he bounced she was all over him cleaning him up. I have seen so many heifers that had to work pretty hard just ignore their calves or worse, that when I get on like this it really made me smile. She is one heck of a momma and he looks like he came through with flying colors.

cows_dec_2010_0111.jpg

Nice lookin pair 3way. Funny thing is I can't remember being at your place. But apparently I was. Looks like some of my master carpentry work on your barn in front of the heifer. :lol:

A natural "mother". Great looking cow and the calf looks like he's off to a good start as well...a few months and we'll expect follow up pics.

snickers":23g23pby said:
long legged little feller, and mom looks pretty proud. how old is the momma? I'd guess alittle over two.

Yes he's a big boy he is also pretty long bodied. She was 2 on the 6th of Feb.

Finally a calving experience this year with a happy ending, seems like all I've been reading about is calving nightmares this year on CT. My season should start in three weeks.

Congrats on the nice pair.
Alan

3way good for you for restraining your self. I hate watching heifers calve when they have to work at it a bit. If everything is presenting normally just a little slowly it is always a bit of a hard call when to intervene. That was a fair size calf for a hiefer also. I prefer the 70 lb calves from heifers. Some though can have 90 lbers with no trouble though. But the risk of requiring assisitance certainly increases as the weight goes up. Getting up before the calf was all the way out is a sure sign she wasn't played out. Good heifer! :cboy:

Dylan Biggs":1he75yll said:
3way good for you for restraining your self. I hate watching heifers calve when they have to work at it a bit. If everything is presenting normally just a little slowly it is always a bit of a hard call when to intervene. That was a fair size calf for a hiefer also. I prefer the 70 lb calves from heifers. Some though can have 90 lbers with no trouble though. But the risk of requiring assisitance certainly increases as the weight goes up. Getting up before the calf was all the way out is a sure sign she wasn't played out. Good heifer! :cboy:

Thanks Dylan, one of the main reasons I chose this heifer was her width. She was at least 2 in wider at a year thru the hips than any other heifer there and she was not the biggest at all. For the record the CE # on the sire was 110 when I AI'd her it has since dropped and the corresponding BW has increased but I thought from day one that she would calve unassisted and God bless her she proved that my faith in her was correct.

The thing about Calving ease that a lot of folks don't give enough credence to is structure. This calf was heavy but long and ropey and boy did he ever come out like a snake.

Congrats! She looks like she has taken to motherhood like a champ. I would have guessed that calf to be 10 pounds lighter by just looking at the picture.

Alan":3i1m7c4h said:
Finally a calving experience this year with a happy ending, seems like all I've been reading about is calving nightmares this year on CT. My season should start in three weeks.

Congrats on the nice pair.
Alan
:nod: :clap: Yes! Good to hear the good stuff!

Latest posts