Fire?

Help Support CattleToday:

tjmdo

Reaction score
I just bought a red snapper 200 mike fencer. I have about 100 acres split with poly wire and using a solar charger. Some of the weeds have grown up and it's hot here in east Texas with no recent rain. Should I worry about causing a grass fire with my new fencer? Should I wait for it to rain?

I still see fires from older chargers but have been told that with the newer ones the spark is so brief that it won't set a fire. Maybe some of the fence experts here will chime in.

I worried about that with chargers.

My humble take on it is that the quantity of heat....energy in spark x time of occurrence aka power has to exceed the combustion temperature of the grass touching it, be it via a single whack or repetitive whacks in a given amount of time.

One might take combustion temperatures published on wet hay combusting for a temperature. Considering your domestic, home, how water heater (gas at least as I use gas) set to Normal puts out 140F water and you (I) can't leave my hand under the faucet.

That's below combustion temps and I have had the unfortunate experience of sticking my hand in a smoking round bale of SS (that I baled a little too wet and immediately stacked the bales together trapping the heat) and it didn't stay in there but a second.

I can't imagine a charger getting a stalk of JG or such smoking hot. I have been at it 40 years and never heard of anyone starting a fire with a charger, around here or anywhere else, but the theory exists.

what Kenny said is correct. although right now, right here I wouldn't run either. we are in very extraordinary conditions right now. several new fires started yesterday. vehicle exhaust, glass bottles , and combusting hay are examples of things ive heard blamed.

I don't know about fence chargers but I do know what will happen if your help sits down a hot weedeater in a pasture with thick grass when it's dry while he walks to the truck to get gas. You get to the the red lights and the pretty D6s that the forestry commission runs!

JMJ Farms":2s37uiin said:
I don't know about fence chargers but I do know what will happen if your help sits down a hot weedeater in a pasture with thick grass when it's dry while he walks to the truck to get gas. You get to the the red lights and the pretty D6s that the forestry commission runs!

JJ...the same dam thing happens when a cedar stick gets wedged up in the exhaust on a atv. Except they bring a helecopter with a big bucket as well.

callmefence":1mkzjj1p said:
JMJ Farms":1mkzjj1p said:

JJ...the same dam thing happens when a cedar stick gets wedged up in the exhaust on a atv. Except they bring a helecopter with a big bucket as well.

Hahaha. I don't wish anyone any property damage or anything but I would like to see one of those choppers in action one time. I'd really like to be in the chopper. If we have any close I'm not aware of them. This bunch around here loves to tear stuff up when they are putting out a fire with the dozers. I mean I understand what the objective is but I swear they try to tear up roads and fences and trees for spite. They dam sure ain't cutting no fence. Catch another gear and full throttle right in through :lol2:

unless the grass is wet, it won't conduct worth a darn to make the spark, and if it is wet, it won't burn. I think it's pretty much impossible to catch something on fire with a fencer.. well, unless it's like a fuel vapor.

Well. I'm going to wait until I cut or it rains!
Thanks y'all!

callmefence":2hzyfs81 said:
JMJ Farms":2hzyfs81 said:

Do they charge you for that or is it a free service?

sstterry":2gakx6mg said:
callmefence":2gakx6mg said:
JMJ Farms":2gakx6mg said:

depends on the circumstances I think..

callmefence":368p89gj said:
sstterry":368p89gj said:
callmefence":368p89gj said:
depends on the circumstances I think..

Same here. Supposed to get a permit for a controlled burn. Relieves you of liability from the forestry dept. Still liable for any damage to landowners. This however was an accident. No liability to forestry dept. Still liable for property damage. Thankfully there was no damage in my case. This happened on a rented farm and I "borrowed" my landlords tractor and pretty well had it control before forestry got there.

My dad started a 10 acre field fire when I was a kid by burning trash outside in a burn barrel. The local fire department had to come out and put it out with all of their off road equipment. And the best part......my dad was a volunteer firefighter for that department. Imaging the razzing he got!

I have never seen a fence box set a fire but I have seen many a catalytic converter set one. My grand father bought a brand new D250 extended cab in spring of 96 in fall of 96 it burnt to the ground in a peanut field . he parked over a wad of picked peanut vines and it went up in flames .

I've seen fence chargers start several grass fires and a hay stack one time also. It was a real dry, hot summer with very low humidity. The hay was baled very dry. We figured the wind blew a bale off that propably wasn't stacked well. The bale caught on fire but all we had was shovels, no water close by and the old water truck was empty. So by the time the fire dept got the stack was basically gone. All the fires I've had were with chargers made before 2005. Some a lot older. Have never had one with the Gallagher I have now. The old Holdem 57's were bad about it. And some of them around here were super charged.

Latest posts