Fire Pit Ideas and Hernia Symptoms

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Found a big skidder rim in the woods the other day and thought it might make a good fire pit. My idea is to cut the center plate where the lugs fit out of the rim which will make the depth of the rim roughly two feet deep. Was thinking about mounting a swivel grill on a metal rod on the side of the rim so I can cook on the fire. Also been considering constructing something I can hang a big wash pot on for when we make stew and such. Anyone have any ideas or have any pictures of fire pits made from skidder rims? Also, anyone know the symptoms of a hernia as I think I pulled my gut loading this big sucker in the back of my truck by my lonesome. :oops:

If you have a hernia, you will have a bulge in your groin when you stand, one side or the other. Husband has had hernia surgery twice and it's no picnic. They put a plastic patch in there.

Picking that thing up probably wasn't the smartest thing I ever did - not the dumbest either. Not as young as I used to be but don't seem to want to acknowledge this fact. I guess when the ole buzzard comes out in me I'm thinking with a bird's brain. :oops:

Thanks MPR, I'll do that. I got to go see him again this Friday to get some stitches taken out from some surgery I had a Friday a week ago. I can ask him to check it out. Probably nothing but a pulled muscle as I feel I'm on the mend.

I think the firepit idea will work pretty good. I saw one one time that was made out of a couple old rims stacked and welded together, making it a little deeper than 2 feet. Seems to me that the guy had to do something to get air in at the bottom, but I may be wrong about that. My CRAFT syndrome is kicking up real bad the last couple days. :tiphat:

Jo, my husband heard about this site on PBR. It's a website for people who think of things to do and make and then post for everyone to use. It's really a big site so there's no telling what you can find.....maybe even a firepit!

http://www.instructables.com/home

P.S. Jim sounds like it's right down your alley too.

We made a burn pit out of an old 8ft round metal water trough that rusted out. Just cut the bottom out and there you go. Not near as heavy as that thing you loaded either. LOL! Don't forget to post pics when your done with it too.

I made a burn pit out of a hole in the ground. dug it out with a back hoe and been burning trash for years. When it gets about full dig another one and cover the old.

Green Creek, thanks for that link. There is a lot of neat stuff there. Can't wait till halloween as we are going to have fun with the fake blood and cuts they show you how to make. I'll be spending a lot of time there for sure cause they show you how to make a bunch of neat stuff.
Here is my progress so far. I cut the inside of the rim out and made some stands out of it to insure air flow like Jim62 said. Took a piece of water pipe and welded this to the side of the rim to serve as a stand for a grill. Cut two pieces of larger pipe and drilled holes in this and welded nuts on them so I could use these as set screws so the height of the grill can be adjusted and it can be removed as well. Was thinking about taking the two pieces of iron I have left over and welding them to the sides to use as a warmer for coffee or whatever. As it stands now, the wood will basically be sitting on the ground. I can't decide if I need to put a grate insided it or not. Might just try it out and see how it works. I think the heavy metal should radiate heat a little better than a regular fire plus you can cook on it. Plan on sticking down by the lake so when we have campouts or bonfires I won't have to drag a grill to the site. Don't think anyone will be stealing it either.

IMG_2040.jpg

That looks super. :clap: Made me remember a tractor rim behind the shed. I think that will be my next project. Thanks for the pictures

Just be sure the rims aren't painted with lead paint. Some older rims were. You don't really want to cook over or breathe that. Galvanized metal either.

One of the best fire pits I have ever seen was built using a skidder wheel. It really gave off good heat for a long time after the fire burned down. I've been on the lookout for one since to make my own.

If you had a hernia, you would see a slight bulge when standing. It could be anywhere from below your belly button on down...You may have pulled or tore a groin muscle. Ouch.

fourstates":k4izui3z said:
One of the best fire pits I have ever seen was built using a skidder wheel. It really gave off good heat for a long time after the fire burned down. I've been on the lookout for one since to make my own.

If you had a hernia, you would see a slight bulge when standing. It could be anywhere from below your belly button on down...You may have pulled or tore a groin muscle. Ouch.

Found this one after we burned some woods off. Have found two in the last two years. This one is the largest yet. The heat radiation from the thick metal is what I'm after. Hoping it will be like a pot bellied stove. Plan on giving it a try next weekend as my son will be returning and I don't think Uncle Sam cooks him steaks very often.

Wasn't a hernia, just pulled muscle. Doc checked me out when he pulled my stitches. Shook his head a little and said I wasn't a good patient. I think I'll invite him for a steak and maybe then he'll be more understanding.

Jo glad your son is coming home, and tell him thanks for serving.

As far as your burn pit goes it sure looks nice. But I do think it would work better if it was moved over here in Texas.

Cal

i'm like an ant pulling a loaf of bread, always lifting and carrying more than one my size should. i always feel like i've ruptured something. but if you are feeling pain, more than just a days soreness, i'd fork out an go see the doc. i got a cool fire pit for mothers day last year and our bull got out and tore it to pieces. so if your idea will work (with some help) i think its a very good idea. 8)

Central Fl Cracker":3tbczyvx said:
fourstates":3tbczyvx said:
Glad it wasn't a hernia. Very glad your boy is coming home.

Ditto
I hope he does not have to go back.

My son is still at the Air Force Academy with one more year to go. After this he hopes to get in flight school. I think he's leaning toward search and rescue but the idea of large explosions still interests him. (I don't know where he got this from. ;-) ) Don't get to see him but maybe two times a year. He will be stationed in Germany this summer. I don't know how he got this but he must have buttered the right person's bread for this assignment. I'm jealous.

The maiden voyage of the pit worked better than I could have hoped for. Only problem was getting my youngest son to understand it is not the size of the flames that matters and fatlighter shouldn't be used when cooking. Once we got all the fat out, it worked great.