Figs - Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
The figs are coming on fast and furious here :shock: , have about 30 trees that will ripen simultaneously in about 2 weeks time all going well (just over Christmas, looks like I'll be working but have two crew that will be here as well). Have started making green fig preserve and jam at this stage and will start drying them as they ripen. Does anyone have ideas on any other preservative methods that you can share with me?

Came across two very 'different' ideas on the internet - fig and onion preserve and then fig mostarda, have never tasted either so will cook some up and let you know. From what I have read the mostarda goes very well with cold/smoked meats.
I will have to process as many figs as I can as it becomes a race against the birds, insects and the weather.

Great idea Dun, thanks.

TB - That's really headache stuff ;-) but it makes a nice gift. Now if Jo was not so scarce I'm sure he would come up with something....we have not seen much of him since he posted the pic of himself.

I am of little or no help when it comes to figs.

When they are in season I just eat them nonstop until I get the trots so bad I have to throw the rest away and quit. :shock:

3waycross":1g0ix7ue said:
I am of little or no help when it comes to figs.

When they are in season I just eat them nonstop until I get the trots so bad I have to throw the rest away and quit. :shock:
The Mostarda is of Italian origin, perhaps you know it -
http://lacucinaitalianamagazine.com/ing ... s/mostarda

Thanks Farmgirl10, that does look interesting. I tried something similar yesterday, instead of port I used a little balsamic and brown grape vinegar and caramelised onions. It is tasty but will only really know in a week or so. It will be great served with cold or hot meats.

bigbull338":bsh2rhgx said:
well fig preserves is all i know of todo with them.

My grandmother made some wonderful preserves. That's about all I know too unless you make something to drink with em.

3way - that's sounds tasty, have saved the recipe for a cold winter night :D . Am I being thick or what, I always refer to a head of garlic as in all the cloves. Is the recipe talking about the top (stalk) or what when they call for 'a head of garlic + 1 clove'?

Jo - will PM you sometime, perhaps you can share some of your mead brewing knowledge with me ;-)

Bigbull - If you fancy preserve on toast you should try fried Halloumi cheese with green fig preserve, it's addictive.

It is storming here and the wind is howling....don't know how many figs will be left on the trees by tomorrow.

I subscribe to a neat little weekly paper The Farmers Advance, the December 7 issue had of all things in it....FIG RECIPES! Here is one that looked good:
Fig Caramel Bars
1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
2 1/3 cup all purpose flour, divided
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1.2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter melted
1 1/2 cup chopped figs
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup caramel ice cream topping
In small bowl combine cranberries and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, set aside.
In a medium bowl stir together 2 cups flour, oats, brown sugar, remaining granulated sugar and baking soda. Stir in butter. Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture.
Press remaining crumb mixture in bottom of 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Bake in 350 oven for 15 min.
Stir figs and walnuts into cranberries and sprinkle evenly over crust. Stir together caramel topping and remaining 1/3 flour, drizzle over fruits and nuts. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake for additional 20 min or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on wire rack.

3waycross":1tnpgc17 said:
Never heard of it Ali. But then we are Calabrese from the south. Not tuscan elitist snobs from the north.....haha

Anyway a little hijack here. This is a recipe for my favorite soup that is almost identical to the way we make it, and it's great for a cold weather soup or entree.

Pasta e Fagioli
http://lacucinaitalianamagazine.com/rec ... and-beans-

I don't have any good ideas for the figs, either. Meade, preserves & chutneys were all that came to mind for me.
Chutney's are something to fun to play around with because you can use so many different ingredients.
Not to hijack either, but, I will second 3 ways recommendation on the Pasta Fagioli.
I stayed with my Grandma for about a month when I was 3, it was right after my Grandpa died. I have this kind of snapshot memory of my Grandma teaching me how to spell my name over a big bowl of her Pasta Fagioli. Anyway...I highly recommend it!

CKC - that looks worthwhile, I suppose once wrapped I could freeze them as well. Neat idea, thanks!

Cottage - seems I will definitely have to give Pasta Fagioli a try ;-)

Your question stayed in my head and I had the opportunity today to ask one of the best cooks I've ever known in my life. She would put Martha Stewart to shame. Its sounds too simple to be good but I've never tasted anything she has made that wasn't wonderful. Before I forget, here it is.

Strawberry Figs

3 cups of fig, peeled and chopped
3 cups of sugar
1 (3 oz) package of strawberry gelatin

In heavy pot or dutch oven add sugar to figs and let stand a few minutes to melt sugar.
Stir in dry gelatin mix and bring to boil stirring often.
Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes continuing to stir.
Put in sterilized jars and seal.
The end product will be thin. Place in refrigerator before use to thicken before serving or use as a syrup.

I would never have thought about combining strawberries and figs, thanks Jo, I'll give it a bash. Another combo that may be just as interesting is watermelon and fig.

The figs are still grass green and hard so no work had to be done over this Christmas period :D

Latest posts