Fighting scours

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
With this lousy cold, wet weather, we have been fighting scours for a week. Lost one in spite of intensive treatment and bringing it into the house for warmth. Now there's another big front coming in with 30 mph winds. Looks like another week before we catch a break. How's everyone else holding up?

We're looking at severe storms coming in this afternoon...high wind, possible hail, possible tornados (oh joy).

When we were raising holstein bull babies we had much more luck with them in the cold weather than the heat. For 2 years running we didn't lose any in the winter time. That's when those white house/hutches were worth their weight in gold.

It was the summer and the heat that made them drop like flies...they'd dehydrate in a heartbeat once they scoured. We had those little white hutches scattered all over the place...anywhere we could find trees to shade them. And when it got really hot and dry we'd use the homemade hutches with hog panels and tin more than the white hutches.

A change in weather will, however, play havoc on the really young bottle babies, that's for sure. Heck, a change in weather would play havoc on the weaned holstein bull calves. Something about holstein bull calves...arghhhhhh!

Alice

We have been having rain, snow, wind. The mud has been awful and I haven't even been able to feed in their normal shelter areas because I'd get stuck if I tried to get there. I was sure we would have lots of scour and pneumonia problems. We had one that had scours and was kicking at her tummy. Gave one scour tablet and two days of Banamine and she is fine. Had one that had a snotty nose for one day and now is perfect. I can't believe we came out of it so well. We are now having sunshine and things are drying up! :D

Rain, snow and wind also. Enough mud to choke a calf or cow.
Almost lost some boots in the corral. Today is the first nice day, I can't remember the last one.
No scours. We vaccinate for them before birth. Have had none since we started.

Victoria":1irasvo3 said:
We have been having rain, snow, wind. The mud has been awful and I haven't even been able to feed in their normal shelter areas because I'd get stuck if I tried to get there. I was sure we would have lots of scour and pneumonia problems. We had one that had scours and was kicking at her tummy. Gave one scour tablet and two days of Banamine and she is fine. Had one that had a snotty nose for one day and now is perfect. I can't believe we came out of it so well. We are now having sunshine and things are drying up! :D

Thank goodness... :)

Alice

What a Friday the 13th. Dumped 2 inches out of the rain gauge tonight. Creeks full. Rain all night, turning to snow at 4am, rain the rain of the day. Lows below freezing.

We have been vaccinating newborns with Calf-Guard [orally]and Nasalgen [intranasally] along with bo-se, vit. A&D,Twin-pen and a dose of nutri-drench. Does it work? Seems to work for me in this part of Ohio.
We haven't seen any scours since we started this protical.

I have been reading an awful lot about giving your calf a shot of selenium if they look sick "oh no dificiency".If you are in an area where there is a selenium deficiency then you need to make sure that you have a good mineral program and that cows in calf get that shot of selenium before they calve.Giving a shot of "Bos Se" to a new born calf probably doesn't make a difference at all.If the calf is deficient then it is a longgg--- recovery of meds and therapy.Just had that same speach given to me by buddy and very good Vet.

I have been reading an awful lot about giving your calf a shot of selenium if they look sick "oh no dificiency".If you are in an area where there is a selenium deficiency then you need to make sure that you have a good mineral program and that cows in calf get that shot of selenium before they calve.Giving a shot of "Bos Se" to a new born calf probably doesn't make a difference at all.If the calf is deficient then it is a longgg--- recovery of meds and therapy.Just had that same speach given to me by buddy and very good Vet.

Alice":2w1au6sr said:
Victoria":2w1au6sr said:

Thank goodness... :)

Alice

Shouldn't have spoken so soon, now they are calling for showers on Wednesday... the day the vet comes out to do our AI'ing. :roll:

kslady":2173byb6 said:
yeah seen on the weather there was a big snow storm there. i dont know many who all live in that area but moocow. i dont know what to say but it sucks to all of you who live there and hope that none cattle get sick. it missed me by not very far. im so thankful. its pretty muddy here though. and there calling for more rain next week...dang it.

i hope Green Creek that all your cattle get soon well.

if you are having lots of ongoing scour problems collect a little bit from an untreated calf and get a vet to culture it so you get the right pills or treatment

frenchie":16dlrjzh said:
if you are having lots of ongoing scour problems collect a little bit from an untreated calf and get a vet to culture it so you get the right pills or treatment

Weather finally turned today and sun is out so things are on the mend. Thanks.

Latest posts