field-UPDATE

Help Support CattleToday:

BILL CLAYLAND

Reaction score
This was a hayfield few years ago that im trying to fence part in for grazing.
Problem is that there is all this devils thorn on it.
Bushhog or let cows take care of it?

field.jpg

I am going to be the odd man out. No way would I stress the grass that is growing below the brush. I use to be a strong advocate for spraying but after killing off all the red worms and the beneficial dung beetles I have changed my position. I have yet to find a plant that can survive a repeated removal of the foliage so I would go with a rotary mower. My farm is healthier and more productive than ever since I stopped using the herbicides. I have managed to rotational graze my herd for 7 full years with no hay fed and my input costs are the lowest ever. This pic was taken last Spring. When I started working on this area it was a thicket that a 50 hp tractor could not cross.
23May07002.jpg

agmantoo":3qqxphbr said:
I am going to be the odd man out. No way would I stress the grass that is growing below the brush. I use to be a strong advocate for spraying but after killing off all the red worms and the beneficial dung beetles I have changed my position. I have yet to find a plant that can survive a repeated removal of the foliage so I would go with a rotary mower. My farm is healthier and more productive than ever since I stopped using the herbicides. I have managed to rotational graze my herd for 7 full years with no hay fed and my input costs are the lowest ever. This pic was taken last Spring. When I started working on this area it was a thicket that a 50 hp tractor could not cross.
23May07002.jpg
If simple shredding will get rid of it I agree. The problem is than with some brush shredding just stimulates growth. I have even seen some brush that was root plowed and just caused it to spread. What you have accomplished is commendable but may not fit into others specific problem.

I dont have spraying equipment. what are my options?
I talked to a neighbor who said he'd mulch it up. He charging 65 bucks and hour and he said bought a half day. I was able to bushhog the top part last fall(there is stuble there and nice grass), but the remainder is pretty tough and my kubota just cant handle it.
My plan was to bushog, cut hay 1st week june and hopefully one more time this year. Then fence in entire area in fall and let the cows fertilize. I have 3 head and will be getting a 550lb hereford heif in a week.

BILL CLAYLAND":3tks12fz said:
I dont have spraying equipment. what are my options?
I talked to a neighbor who said he'd mulch it up. He charging 65 bucks and hour and he said bought a half day. I was able to bushhog the top part last fall(there is stuble there and nice grass), but the remainder is pretty tough and my kubota just cant handle it.
My plan was to bushog, cut hay 1st week june and hopefully one more time this year. Then fence in entire area in fall and let the cows fertilize. I have 3 head and will be getting a 550lb hereford heif in a week.

Immediatly after he finishes, before you write the check, it is starting to regrow........What you shredded last fall will be sending sprouts up soon.

"I don't have spraying equipment"..............Get some, rent some, pay someone to spray it. You don't have the mulching equipment either but are willing to have that done.............Spay it to kill it, after it is dead then shred. Spot spray whatever comes back.

Thanks Vett,
I just got off the phone with southern states, the fellah over there has concern about getting spray equipment over the field and suggested mulching first????

Ill have to go see the farmer next door and see if he will spray it.

As long as i can figure this out SOON!

OK, southern states suggested cutting down, letting it leaf out then hit it with Cimeron?
minimum 10 acre=$170 for man and machine and 13.00 bucks an ounce for the cimeron. Might be five acres there. he said 1 1/4 ounce cimeron per acre.

sounds like fun

Keep in mind that you won;t undo years of neglect in one year, it's a long term process.

I'm still trying to figure out how the herbicide if properly used killed the tumble bugs and worms.

BILL CLAYLAND":2x0vqjc9 said:
OK, southern states suggested cutting down, letting it leaf out then hit it with Cimeron?
minimum 10 acre=$170 for man and machine and 13.00 bucks an ounce for the cimeron. Might be five acres there. he said 1 1/4 ounce cimeron per acre.

sounds like fun

Cimeron? Devils thorn must be something other than what I think is is? Looks like brush in your picture........Hard stubble, sounds like brush.

Search came up with this....http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... .jpg/200px

If it is actually a weed instead of brush like (mesquite, water locus, thorn ect.) you are in better shape than I thought......except for it returning from seed.

agmantoo":2fzzfkr2 said:
23May07002.jpg

Nice. Any before pictures?

BILL CLAYLAND":1r6ptdyg said:
This was a hayfield few years ago that im trying to fence part in for grazing.
Problem is that there is all this devils thorn on it.
Bushhog or let cows take care of it?

field.jpg

That woody looking brush stuff?? I would turn some kids loose with a four wheeler and a chain. Next!

BILL CLAYLAND":3fl3fr18 said:
Oh its brush , hard woody thorny stuff. some one called it devils thorn.
also some multi floral rose there too.

Does it freeze off and come back from the root each year? Long white trumpet type flower?

Mom used to have the plant that Wiki shows in her yard. It didn't get a hard woody stubble till it froze off and was allowed to dry. Just trying to confirm plant ID since someone suggested spraying with Cimmeron.

This is exactly what it is.
Dormant mullberry
dormantmullberry.jpg

this is what some of the taller ones by the fence are
fruitlass mullberry
frutlessmullberry.jpg

Kingfisher
I do not have a good before pic of the area in the above pic. Look over the back of the bull at the shoulder high brush and that is the way most of the field was. I had to remove some trees in parts of the field.
IMG00258-1.jpg

Latest posts