Few pictures of the calves

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
April Bull Sired by Pusher 804

April Bull sired by Old Joe

December Yearling Heifer

Did the heifer escape to the land of infinite food? Perhaps it's because she has her head down that she looks short, but she looks pretty deep chested.

That 2nd calf is nice, and the heifer. Actually all 3, I don't think the pose of the first one does him any favours.

I really like that roof over your yards.

Ken

Here are pictures of the first bull and the heifer from summer. May be better shots.

u4411clb,

The Pusher bull is scurred and out of a cow I really like. She goes back to Resistor and Clarendon 740. Calf weighed 812 lbs this weekend and is an April calf. I also have a Sherman Tank bull calf that is coming on.

greatgerts,

Thanks for the comments on the heifer. She has lost off a little after the cosmetic dehorning. I plan on breeding her at the end of February, but picking a bull has been tough.

I'm not a brahman kinda guy, but that heifer seems pretty nice :)

I think the bull might have a bit excessive sheath, and I don't think that'll get better as he gets older

midtncattle":tsn0z75l said:
u4411clb,

The Pusher bull is scurred and out of a cow I really like. She goes back to Resistor and Clarendon 740. Calf weighed 812 lbs this weekend and is an April calf. I also have a Sherman Tank bull calf that is coming on.

greatgerts,

Thanks for the comments on the heifer. She has lost off a little after the cosmetic dehorning. I plan on breeding her at the end of February, but picking a bull has been tough.

What is her breeding? I might have a couple of bulls in mind.

midtncattle":104d7w8o said:
https://www.livestockgenetics.net/sgbipub/output/asearch_view.php?editid1=20144796

Here are a couple of thoughts:

Harris 15/3 #20132380. He has a .1 BW EPD, but in top 1% for WW, YW, HCW, and Ribeye.
Briggs 072/13 (Roberto) #20132309. BW is 1.7, and has excellent growth numbers.
Last but not least, is my new bull 518/14 #20143202. Excellent EPDs across the board.

I have liked all of these bulls on their phenotype, but their performance speaks very loud too. All of these bulls are polled, but of course if you had a bull like Hatchet in your tank, that would definitely work too. (I just lost all of mine a few weeks ago when a tank went bad).

A scurred bull that could work well would be John 316 #201201004853. He's pretty moderate, but very good.

Thanks greatgerts,

I used Roberto Briggs 072/13 last year and have cows to calve to him this spring. I also have one straw of Hatchett left in my tank, but don't know about him on heifers. I am going to look at your bull and harris 15/3. What do you think about Red Hott? I know Delmo likes to mix Red Hot and Pusher genetics.

I would love to see some pictures of the Roberto calves if you have any. If it is easier you can PM them to my facebook. Santa Gertrudis Ryan Keaton or Circle H Santa Gertrudis. Thanks

midtncattle":2ifaytvh said:
Thanks greatgerts,

I used Roberto Briggs 072/13 last year and have cows to calve to him this spring. I also have one straw of Hatchett left in my tank, but don't know about him on heifers. I am going to look at your bull and harris 15/3. What do you think about Red Hott? I know Delmo likes to mix Red Hot and Pusher genetics.

I would love to see some pictures of the Roberto calves if you have any. If it is easier you can PM them to my facebook. Santa Gertrudis Ryan Keaton or Circle H Santa Gertrudis. Thanks

Ryan, I will work on getting you some pictures of the Roberto calves. I had thought about Red Hot, but I haven't had luck with his daughters and their first calves. Granted the sample size is 2, but each one we had to pull their first calf because mama couldn't do it on her own. Second calves were fine. Might have just been a fluke thing with us. Now, I will have a calf that will be this cross come in the spring. A Pusher daughter bred to Red Hot.

Thanks for your input. I have a small group of cattle, so every breeding decision is important. I am trying to get my match ups right!!!!

Latest posts