Few Angus pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

gizmom":27ofq0nl said:
Oldtimer

It sure looks beautiful with all that green with those black cows and calves! The cows are sure going to be in great shape going into the winter with all that grass in front of them. We have been getting plenty of rain here in Florida but the heat is taking a toll on cattle and man. Last week we had a heat index of 109 with the humidity is was just rough on man and beast. We have a lot of grass but I would be willing to bet that the quality of your grass is much better than what we can grow here in Florida no studies to back that up just a theory.

gizmom

I think you may be right on the grass... I had a good friend who had a large ranching operation- and had ran cow/calf and yearlings all over the country... He claimed that this short grass country of the high plains, north of the Milk River, in northern Montana and southern Canada was the best he had ever found.. We don't get the quantity- but it is definitely high quality..

Rotated the bulls to different pastures the other day.. Trackrunner has been with this bunch for a 30 days - so now will leave the young Cedar Cut bull to finish up the job...

Lazy Bar B Trackrunner 17506127 - Trackrunner is a 4 year old, 4 frame little bull that weighed 2000 lbs exactly when we pulled him after being with the cows for a month..

L B B Cedar Cut B1 17964615 - a 2 year old 4 frame son of Three Trees Prime Cut 0145 that will be left to finish the breeding chores with this pasture...

LRAF":2qpc8841 said:
Is a 4 frame what you aim for there?

Yep- 4-5 frame cattle in the 1000 to 1200 lb range.. In this Great American Desert country up here that can give us such harsh conditions- they seem to work best for us with the least amount of input...Momma cows that can survive in the bad years and thrive in the good ones...Cattle that work for us- instead of us working for them..
I have some 4 frame cows that don't weigh much over 1000-1100 lbs that still bring us in a 600+ lb calf in the good grass years (like this year)... Can't ask for much more then that.. :)

http://ccr2.cowcowranch.com/?p=97

frieghttrain":38mp6x84 said:
I like that Trackrunner bull !! Is that a black baldy in one of the pictures?

Yep- she's the last of the hereford X's we have.. We purchased the base of the purebred angus herd in 1998- and slowly have gone to all registered... She's a little cow that must be about 15 years old- but keeps bringing in a nice calf every year, so has got to stay around.. This year she is having some off and on lameness problems- so will go to the sale...

Oldtimer":sm0lo9lg said:
frieghttrain":sm0lo9lg said:
I like that Trackrunner bull !! Is that a black baldy in one of the pictures?

Yep- she's the last of the hereford X's we have.. We purchased the base of the purebred angus herd in 1998- and slowly have gone to all registered... She's a little cow that must be about 15 years old- but keeps bringing in a nice calf every year, so has got to stay around.. This year she is having some off and on lameness problems- so will go to the sale...
That's to bad we have a 16 year old black baldy that's going to go soon.

All the bulls waiting for their turn next year or for sale had to come over and see what I was doing at my brother's yard this morning. We were going to fix some fences, needed to get ready to plant some sweet potatoes and other odds and ends. The bulls traveled with us where they could. They were as curious about fixing fences as any other activity. We rotated them on to a new pasture which is mainly mature fescue and some scattered switchgrass. All are half brothers but one. The one is easy to pick out as he carries more hair. He grew well and is doing fine but will be sold when a neighbor needs him. I will avoid using that bull via AI again. All others are slick to the point of looking oiled. About 30 months or 18 months old.

Cattle are looking great Oldtimer. Especially the cows - nice little mamas! Hard to pick a favorite but the 017X cow with her heifer calf really stand out to me.

creekdrive":3sw99mwp said:
Cattle are looking great Oldtimer. Especially the cows - nice little mamas! Hard to pick a favorite but the 017X cow with her heifer calf really stand out to me.

Yep- she is one of my favorites- and we've put every daughter and granddaughter back into the herd.. She's had one bull calf that we sold- but kind of wish we'd kept..

This is a bull calf we are thinking of keeping and see how he turns out for a young herdsire and heifer bull -

O1X calf was sired by our Trackrunner bull #17506127 and out of the L B B Mary 01X 16744208 cow...Mary 01X is a real quiet dispositioned 4 frame cow that holds her condition well while bringing in a decent calf each year... Both the cow and calf have a ton of maternal breeding in their ancestry..She is an O C C Magnitude 805M daughter who's mgs was Bannon of Wye UMF 8420...
Here is the 01X calf and cow shortly after he was born in mid March.. Changed quite a bit from his 67 lb birthweight...

gizmom":1zmzzfup said:
Real nice pair! Love the depth of body and udder on that cow.

Gizmom

Yep- so do I gizmom.. She isn't any giant when it comes to the EPD numbers game- but also has good feet and a fantastic disposition...And with a pedigree stacked with cowmaker sires (O C C Emblazon 854E, Bannon of Wye UMF 8420, EXT, 6807) that's the reason we are looking at keeping her son- hoping he can pass some of that on to his progeny.. We put a lot of emphasis into maternal and using the dams as a valuable indicator when we go looking for new bulls- either raised or boughten.. Much like I've seen you do..

Latest posts