Fescue Poisoning in Layman's Terms?

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
Can someone explain fescue poisoning in simple terms? I have done some reading both here and the internet on what t is, but I don't really understand it.

In my readings, it seems as if a pasture is already established (and has been grazed on for some time) then there is little chance of the cattle getting it. But if I was to re-seed (overseed) with Kentucky 31, I may introduce it just because the seeds in the bag have it?

What should/could be done to avoid it?

What type of seed should be used instead?

If I was to put down the seed in a nearby field (non grazed), is there a chance that it can still get introduced into the grazed pasture?

Am I concerning myself with something I shouldn't be? :???:

I am in SW TN if it matters at all.

If it's already established and it wasn;t established with one of the novel or friendly endophyte fescues, it is toxic. How toxic is hard to tell. The stuff that makes it toxic is also what makes it persist with years of abuse. Ky31 has the toxic endophyte, it's in the seeds.
How you deal with it is to dilute the fescue with orchard grass (if your cows will eat it) or most usually clover, red or white, your choice and depending on what does best on your farm.
You don;t have to be overly concerned, jsut realize that it's something that needs to be dealt with.

If you have fescue odds are you have the fungus.
There are some varieties that do not have the fungus- but they are not nearly as productive and eventually the infected fescue will take over.
The fungus actually helps the plant thrive.

The fungus is carried in the seed too.

Some cattle are more adapted than others to handle the fungus.
Keeping the grass low (either clipping or grazing) limits the levels of fungus
Highest levels are in the old tough blades and the seed heads.
Having companion grasses/clovers dilutes the fungus
Cattle on fescue have a higher need of minerals to deal with the effects
There are some supplements that claim to help with the effects-TASCO makes one that people around here brag about.

You shouldn't be afraid of Fescue- its not perfect but in lots of areas its the one you can count on year after year.

The Holy Graile.... "TASCO" pops up again. Amazing what a good promo job will do for a pretty useless additive.

TexasBred":3mipv2cp said:
The Holy Graile.... "TASCO" pops up again. Amazing what a good promo job will do for a pretty useless additive.
I have seen Tasco mentioned on here several times it must not be available in our area or else no ones uses it as I have never seen it or heard of it but on here
WHAT is it ?????

Angus Cowman":2r1pn0pe said:
TexasBred":2r1pn0pe said:
I have seen Tasco mentioned on here several times it must not be available in our area or else no ones uses it as I have never seen it or heard of it but on here
WHAT is it ?????
Kelp Meal....has a very minute amount of various trace minerals in it and that's about it. And these people hawk it for $30 a bag or more. Same company sells plain old "kelp meal" without the fancy name for half that amount.

dun":2jepz74v said:
If it's already established and it wasn;t established with one of the novel or friendly endophyte fescues, it is toxic. How toxic is hard to tell. The stuff that makes it toxic is also what makes it persist with years of abuse. Ky31 has the toxic endophyte, it's in the seeds.
How you deal with it is to dilute the fescue with orchard grass (if your cows will eat it) or most usually clover, red or white, your choice and depending on what does best on your farm.
You don;t have to be overly concerned, jsut realize that it's something that needs to be dealt with.

Thanks Dun. I should have noted that my pastures are mostly bermuda with a good deal of clover, so I guess I should be OK. I had gotten 100lbs of KY31 last week for a very low cost and am planning on using it in a non grazed field. I was afraid of birds and such transferring the KY31 seeds to my grazed pastures. In any event, as evidenced by your explanation I should be fine.

Howdyjabo":7hjczk0d said:
Thanks Dun.

Guess that puts me in my place

:lol: Didn't mean to leave you out of the thanks, but I didn't remember how to spell your name. Thanks to all for the info. :nod:

Here is my Fescue story in 3 pictures.

Summer of 2009 before fescue 16 month old Angus bull
DSCF0042_edited.jpg

Spring of 2010 after 5 months of Fescue
Picture_015.jpg

Summer of 2010 after 4 months off of Fescue, on good pasture
cows_dec_2010_004.jpg

No more fescue for me unless I sell out and buy cattle that are already acclimated to it.

If you are in the fescue belt and not using it you are losing money. Bermuda grass is good in the summer but spring and fall around here its about worthless.

Angus Cowman":1a3wtyj7 said:
TexasBred":1a3wtyj7 said:
WHAT is it ?????

Used it last summer and could not tell it helped.

Red Bull Breeder":gk5di20m said:
If you are in the fescue belt and not using it you are losing money. Bermuda grass is good in the summer but spring and fall around here its about worthless.
Around here if it wasn;t for KY321 there wouldn;t be any cattle. Even some of the dairys utilize fescue pasture and hay

dun":3iepo0mn said:
Red Bull Breeder":3iepo0mn said:
Around here if it wasn;t for KY321 there wouldn;t be any cattle. Even some of the dairys utilize fescue pasture and hay
the oldtimers around here say that before fescue the stocking rate was 20-40 acres pr cow

My cattle prefer just about anything to fescue, orchardgrass, johnson grass, clovers, vetch, ryegrass, etc. Last year I had a problem with the endophyte fungus. I'm starting to do more rotational grazing to knock it back. The other grasses won't get eaten anymore or less than the fescue, so hopefully it won't be as dominant, especially that I'm finishing cows on grass. The infected fescue taints the meat.

brandonm_13":2a3s5p8a said:
My cattle prefer just about anything to fescue, orchardgrass, johnson grass, clovers, vetch, ryegrass, etc. Last year I had a problem with the endophyte fungus. I'm starting to do more rotational grazing to knock it back. The other grasses won't get eaten anymore or less than the fescue, so hopefully it won't be as dominant, especially that I'm finishing cows on grass. The infected fescue taints the meat.
I have ate several killed off of fescue and I can't say that the meat was tainted

brandonm_13":l9ntlrzf said:
The infected fescue taints the meat.

I'll bite, just how does fescue taint the meat?

We have a varied mix of fescues, bermuda, field, etc. around here, so virtually all the cattle from this region are on fescue to some degree. Obviously, the cattle raised around here are much more adapted to any fescue fungus by being raised on a certain percentage, but I would imagine there are plenty going to market that have eaten "bad" fescue to some degree.

brandonm_13":w9v9760r said:

Your results are certainly different than mine regarding the cattle's taste or preference for various forages. Clovers and vetch are the first thing mind consume. As a feeder calf producer my cattle are accustomed to eating endophyte fescue and they also seem to like rye grass. Without a doubt more cattle are maintained on fescue than another grass in the USA. Fescue is the heart of my operation, I have a lush burst of growth in the Spring and I stockpile some of that growth for feeding in July and August when the fescue goes dormant. I do clip seed heads to minimize the endophyte content. Come September I again get a regrowth of the fescue which is grazed in the Fall and stockpiled to carry me through the Winter without hay. As a result, my feed costs are significantly below that of conventional producers. For me there certainly aren't any significant downside to grazing fescue 7/365. At certain times of the year fescue has more protein than alfalfa. As far as fescue tainting meat this is my first time hearing this. I would like to read regarding this occurrence if you have a link.

Latest posts