Fescue Poisoning in Layman's Terms?

Help Support CattleToday:

The only issue with fescue that I have to manage is that feedlots most years will pay more(right now there is a shortage so its not that obvious) for calves that have been off fescue(or heavily supplemented) for 60 days before being shipped.
Even mild fescue toxicity causes problems when added to shipping stresses. And it gives them time to build up on mineral shortages caused by the fungus.

Heavily infected fescue calves are a nightmare- I see them all the time(they go CHEAP). So even with adapted cattle you still have to manage the fescue or it will hurt your bottom line.It takes six months for a fescue calf to stop looking like a fescue calf. I have had great results with mineral max turning fescue calves around. And I won't touch them in the heat of summer- they don't stand half a chance then.

Don't forget that mature Fescue hay is a big culprit for the fungus.

Fescue fungus doesn't taint the meat- Grass/weeds/onions do. I never could understand why anyone would want to eat common grass fed beef. People 50 years ago were thrilled to get off of that stuff and get some good beef. Even then they wouldn't eat a calf that hadn't been put up off of grass for 60 days.

Latest posts