Fescue nurse crop suggestions??

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas

Reaction score
I am sowing fescue tomorrow. Given this late date, would you add a nurse crop? I though crimson clover since it comes up pretty quick. I am not crazy about rye as it may compete too much. Maybe oats?
And how much would you sow per acre. thanks :???:

I would do 10 pounds an acre and not plant anything with it. My reasoning for not planting anythign with it so that in the spring you can spray for broadleaf weeds and not waste the money spent on the clover. Then next winter frost seed or after you spray in the spring no-till the clover.

dun":1y87o2wg said:
I would do 10 pounds an acre and not plant anything with it. My reasoning for not planting anythign with it so that in the spring you can spray for broadleaf weeds and not waste the money spent on the clover. Then next winter frost seed or after you spray in the spring no-till the clover.

I am concerned about erosion in a few spots. I am looking at highs in the low 60's for several days and rain saturday.

Angus Cowman":2axxxa5e said:
in those spots I would plant oats also,instead of no till clover next fall I prefer frost seeding clover in Feb or early march especially if you can turn cows in for a day or so when the ground is soft
I may need to spray weeds next summer

Douglas":1p9pd04y said:
Angus Cowman":1p9pd04y said:
in those spots I would plant oats also,instead of no till clover next fall I prefer frost seeding clover in Feb or early march especially if you can turn cows in for a day or so when the ground is soft
I may need to spray weeds next summer

wait until feb or march of 2010 sorry didn't explain that but I have better success with the clover in late winter early spring

Latest posts