Fescue in NE Texas?

Help Support CattleToday:

Eugene66, I am interested in how your fescue performs. It could fill a gap in forage production. Most producers here in East Texas won't manage it right. Need to stay off and give it a rest in the summer to build its reserves.

I have mostly sandy soils so the fescue is not as applicable in my situation.

BC":235cmfdg said:
Eugene66, I am interested in how your fescue performs. It could fill a gap in forage production. Most producers here in East Texas won't manage it right. Need to stay off and give it a rest in the summer to build its reserves.

I have mostly sandy soils so the fescue is not as applicable in my situation.

On 20 acre upland (loamy top soil) test plot: I added one ton per acre lime in spring 2016 for a projected 6.2 pH. Grazed Bermuda/Bahia pasture really short in October with 150 head of cattle. Rotated cattle out. Sprayed with Glyphosate at one pint per acre.
My research on Prosper recommended no-tilling it 3/8" average depth in October (in NE Texas area), fertilize in Dec or Jan, no grazing until the next spring (I began April 1, 2017), never graze below 4" tall, no grazing when wet (might be pulled up by young roots), NO grazing ever in June, July, or August.
Rotational graze beginning each September, keeping a minimum height of 4". NO grazing in June, July, or August.
Add clover once Prosper is established.

Eugene66":89z0w3xg said:
Texasmark":89z0w3xg said:
I have perennial (I guess) long stem Fescue. Just went to the local feed store and bought what they stocked years ago. I got it started on a pool bank after a new one was dug. Now it's everywhere and stays green most of the year except July and August. It turns brown and quits growing but when the weather cools off in September and get some water on it back it comes. I'm NE of Dallas in Houston Black Clay. Really I hate it because it clumps and I don't have it 100% so mowing over it is a PIB....not PIA, well yes a PIA too.
Did it survive 2011 or did you plant later?

Planted years ago, over 15 I'd say. Never replanted. It's a hearty grass no doubt. Reseeding is quick if you lay off mowing in the spring for a couple of weeks. If I were going to plant it today, I'd broadcast it heavy, like 50#/acre....yes I know the seeds are light and lots to 50# but what you may desire is a smooth turf; I wish I had one but not going to replant at this late date. Heavy applications, broadcast should get you elbow to elbow plants and much smoother on your behind when rolling anything across it, mower or what have you.

Texasmark":2ty0v1zd said:
Eugene66":2ty0v1zd said:
Texasmark":2ty0v1zd said:
I have perennial (I guess) long stem Fescue. Just went to the local feed store and bought what they stocked years ago. I got it started on a pool bank after a new one was dug. Now it's everywhere and stays green most of the year except July and August. It turns brown and quits growing but when the weather cools off in September and get some water on it back it comes. I'm NE of Dallas in Houston Black Clay. Really I hate it because it clumps and I don't have it 100% so mowing over it is a PIB....not PIA, well yes a PIA too.
Did it survive 2011 or did you plant later?

Planted years ago, over 15 I'd say. Never replanted. It's a hearty grass no doubt. Reseeding is quick if you lay off mowing in the spring for a couple of weeks. If I were going to plant it today, I'd broadcast it heavy, like 50#/acre....yes I know the seeds are light and lots to 50# but what you may desire is a smooth turf; I wish I had one but not going to replant at this late date. Heavy applications, broadcast should get you elbow to elbow plants and much smoother on your behind when rolling anything across it, mower or what have you.
K31 Tall Fescue is a bunch grass; however, I have not seen any as rough as you have. I am sure K31 could not have survived past 2011. Is it possible yours is Idaho Fescue or something similar?

Did I just mess up? We are north of Interstate 20 in Smith County Texas and just bought 150 pounds of Tall Kentucky 31 endophyte free seeds. We have 8 acres, partially to mostly wooded that we have fought green briars off several acres and now I want grass! We have hair sheep, not cattle. Hope ya'll don't mind, but there is a wealth of information here on grass and pastures. I plan on planting the fescue in the lightly wooded areas that gets dappled sunlight to help it survive the summer heat. Our soil is white sugar sand. We also bought white dutch clover seed and white arrow leaf clover seed to mix with the fescue, but plan on planting the clover mostly in the sunnier areas.

Bahia and a nice bermuda grows in the ranch pastures across the road from us. I sprigged some Bahia and bermuda last fall in a 1 acre pasture, then put 3 pigs in there in February. They dug up every Bahia rhizome and ate it. After slaughtering the pigs and letting it rest, the Bermuda came on like gangbusters. We turned the sheep in, they ate all the weeds and turned up their noses at the Bermuda. I've been taking my wagon down the roadside, digging Bahia and sprigging it in this pasture. Now I am sprigging Bahia in a second 1 acre pasture. I know eventually it will take over, since my sheep love it, that's a good thing.

I was looking for a cool season grass for winter grazing. I've seeded Gulf rye the last two fall seasons and will probably mix it with the fescue this fall. Or should I skip the rye grass this fall?

Will the fescue live through the summer? We bought seed at East Texas Seed Co. in Tyler. The salesman was very helpful and advised that it would die out in the summer. He recommended overseeding it in the fall for best results. Bahia/fescue might make a good combination. Any thoughts?

Baymule":2oekeuxe said:
Did I just mess up? We are north of Interstate 20 in Smith County Texas and just bought 150 pounds of Tall Kentucky 31 endophyte free seeds. We have 8 acres, partially to mostly wooded that we have fought green briars off several acres and now I want grass! We have hair sheep, not cattle. Hope ya'll don't mind, but there is a wealth of information here on grass and pastures. I plan on planting the fescue in the lightly wooded areas that gets dappled sunlight to help it survive the summer heat. Our soil is white sugar sand. We also bought white dutch clover seed and white arrow leaf clover seed to mix with the fescue, but plan on planting the clover mostly in the sunnier areas.

Bahia and a nice bermuda grows in the ranch pastures across the road from us. I sprigged some Bahia and bermuda last fall in a 1 acre pasture, then put 3 pigs in there in February. They dug up every Bahia rhizome and ate it. After slaughtering the pigs and letting it rest, the Bermuda came on like gangbusters. We turned the sheep in, they ate all the weeds and turned up their noses at the Bermuda. I've been taking my wagon down the roadside, digging Bahia and sprigging it in this pasture. Now I am sprigging Bahia in a second 1 acre pasture. I know eventually it will take over, since my sheep love it, that's a good thing.

I was looking for a cool season grass for winter grazing. I've seeded Gulf rye the last two fall seasons and will probably mix it with the fescue this fall. Or should I skip the rye grass this fall?

Will the fescue live through the summer? We bought seed at East Texas Seed Co. in Tyler. The salesman was very helpful and advised that it would die out in the summer. He recommended overseeding it in the fall for best results. Bahia/fescue might make a good combination. Any thoughts?
I don;t know how fescue dos there, but the endophyte free part is wrong. Even in fescue country the endophyte free stuff is crap and doesn;t persist. Novel/friendly endophyte will work in fescue country, along with the standard KY31.

dun":3dgnvmr9 said:
Baymule":3dgnvmr9 said:

I don;t know how fescue dos there, but the endophyte free part is wrong. Even in fescue country the endophyte free stuff is crap and doesn;t persist. Novel/friendly endophyte will work in fescue country, along with the standard KY31.

I looked at the bag again, it is Kentucky 32. When you say the endophyte doesn't persist, do you mean that it will die each year like the Gulf rye does? Or will it come back a couple of years and eventually fizzle out? Oh well, if I can get a good winter graze out of it, I guess I'll have to be happy with that.

Baymule":3uh5vxdf said:
I looked at the bag again, it is Kentucky 32. When you say the endophyte doesn't persist, do you mean that it will die each year like the Gulf rye does? Or will it come back a couple of years and eventually fizzle out? Oh well, if I can get a good winter graze out of it, I guess I'll have to be happy with that.
Typically it will stay around for a couple of years but the stand will just get thinner and thinner.

Your cooler weather generally doesn't come until Oct but the same premise dun speaks of will hold true in the East Texas area.
We don't have fescue in my area except for lawns. Fescue is still a dirty word for cattle people here in deep east Texas....my neighbors would probably burn me out if I brought any on my place..

greybeard":2cf9vv1v said:
Your cooler weather generally doesn't come until Oct but the same premise dun speaks of will hold true in the East Texas area.
We don't have fescue in my area except for lawns. Fescue is still a dirty word for cattle people here in deep east Texas....my neighbors would probably burn me out if I brought any on my place..

If it won't grow there....then whats all the fuss about....why is it a dirty word?

Well if I don't like it, I can just let the sheep eat it to death. They eat right down to the roots, all I gotta do is just not move them, I'll have a dirt lot, back to square one.

Eugene66":1ls7rwkf said:
Has anyone experimented with K32 or Prosper Fescue in Dallas to Tyler, TX area?
I sowed some "Tall Fescue" 20 years ago I guess. Don't know the variety, just went to the ag. store and asked for it.

Grazed it heavily for many years and with cattle off it for the last couple it's flourishing....got to mow it at least once a week if not haying it. Seems fertilizer not that important. Some places near my pools it gets none as I don't want the nutrients in the water but it hangs in there. It's still with me with gusto and this year weathered the usual July-August dormant season due to our getting good rain through the summer including 8" in August throughout the month.

I'm NE of Dallas proper about 75 miles in Houston Black Clay, an uplander, soft, rolling hills. 10 miles from me the creeks to the N flow to the N the ones to the S flow to the S.

BC and Texasmark, we no-tilled 60 additional acres of Prosper Fescue in late October 2017. We've received only one-half inch of rain since then; however, it is about 3 inches tall. It is too early to tell how the 20 acres we on-tilled in last year will perform long term.

Prosper Tall Fescue planted in October 2017 did not perform well after last summer (2018) since we only received one inch of rain from April to September 2018 in our NE Texas area. We planted Chisolm Tall Fescue in October 2018 (received only two inches of rainfall from April to October 2019) and we have planted Chisolm on another tract October 15, 2019. Only time will tell if it can survive our brutal summers.

Thanks for update. I wish you well in your search for a fescue for our area

I have sand or sandy loam. One field has ssndy loam but is wet natured. It might work there but zi depend on it for summer graxing

Latest posts