Fertilizing pastures today

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
The weather liars are calling for rain on Saturday so we slung out some fertilizer out on a couple of pastures this morning. We don't generally fertilize much besides the hay meadow but we're renovating a couple of pastures this year. I don't want to graze them much if any this year so we bit the bullet and fertilized some bermuda grass pastures. Bring on the rain this weekend!

Hear you on your skepticism. Really, recent weather reports have been pretty accurate around here. Course when they talk about "scattered" Tsms. all bets are off. I have been standing at my fence, mostly bone dry and raining so hard on the next pasture (somebodyelses) that you couldn't see through it. Good luck.

perfect time yesterday but spreader broke! hand shoveled 2 ton in my little cone spreader still has another 2 ton in it! rain here now.. still have lots more to put on. missed the best day though.

I think it is too early to fertilize Bermuda here in East Texas. It was 41 degrees here yesterday morning. Night time temperatures need to average 58 for several days before it is time.

BC said:
I think it is too early to fertilize Bermuda here in East Texas. It was 41 degrees here yesterday morning. Night time temperatures need to average 58 for several days before it is time.

Until night time temps get to 60 and stay there your wasting your money.
Now is the time to be liming to correct ph, so when time temps get right Grass has maximum uptake.

Watching the sky here. Outside, it just 'feels' wrong. Warm, breezy, heavy air, but not like a summer hi humidity. It just feels 'wrong'.
Map shows worse yet to come.
TORNADO WATCH
ISSUED: 11:24 AM APR. 13, 2019 – NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
TX
. TEXAS COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ANGELINA BRAZOS CHEROKEE
GRIMES HARDIN HOUSTON
JASPER LIBERTY MADISON
MONTGOMERY NACOGDOCHES NEWTON
PANOLA POLK RUSK
SABINE SAN AUGUSTINE SAN JACINTO
SHELBY TRINITY TYLER

greybeard said:
Watching the sky here. Outside, it just 'feels' wrong. Warm, breezy, heavy air, but not like a summer hi humidity. It just feels 'wrong'.
Map shows worse yet to come.
TORNADO WATCH
ISSUED: 11:24 AM APR. 13, 2019 – NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
TX
. TEXAS COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ANGELINA BRAZOS CHEROKEE
GRIMES HARDIN HOUSTON
JASPER LIBERTY MADISON
MONTGOMERY NACOGDOCHES NEWTON
PANOLA POLK RUSK
SABINE SAN AUGUSTINE SAN JACINTO
SHELBY TRINITY TYLER

Pretty ominous looking here.

Fertilized some hay grazer I planted on Thursday. We might have got an 1/8. Was supposed to rain all day today :roll:

Fertilized the hay fields today, took off work yesterday, but couldn't get a buggy. Called a new supplier, he said he'd call me back when he had one,at 9am. Got busy, but didn't want to start a big project, called him back at 1pm and left a message, still nothing. He finally called me back and left a message expressing apologies about 630, I called him back and had a buggy at 7am, spread, took the buggy back and when I left to go feed it was raining, woohoo!

Fertilizing was in the back of my mind yesterday, but thought I'd be better off just spraying Grazon since storms were predicted for today. Glad I did because we've had 2.61" so far today with lots of it being hard and fast this morning, so granular would have washed into the tank.

i put out 150 lb / ac of K and P and 200 lb / ac of N.. got it done and that night it was pouring.

sstterry said:
Dixie2542 said:
How soon can u spray weeds after fertilizer? Planning on fertilizer soon but getting weeds cming up too.

As long as the weeds are in an active growth stage, I don't think it matters.

Only restriction I know of with 2-4D is being careful about spraying newly planted, emerging crops.....have to give them time to get established, usually dictated by a specific plant height. Timing fertilization and weed eradication I never paid any attention.

Latest posts