Fertilizing Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Hay production in this region is down by almost 50%. The clovers are almost non-existent this year. The grass hays are very thin and yields are low. Most grasses here are cool weather forages. Orchard grass, fescue, blue grass, etc. I wonder if it would be a waste of fertilizer to put it on fields that have been cut in hope that one could catch some June weather that would make a second cutting that would be better?

If fertilizer would do any good is based on 2 criteria. Are you getting enough moisture for it to do any good and what kind of grass it is. If it's a CSG and your temps are running in the 0s you won;t get much growth until early fall. If you plan to stockpile it for winter grazing, it's better to wait until early fall to apply it after it has broken dormancy. For hay production, winter or very early spring is a better option to fertilize.

I didn't fertilize anything this year. Not because I didn't want to, I literally never had time. My hay looks to make an atleast average first cutting. I doubt I skip fertilizing two years in a row, but I'm pleased with the $ it saved me this year.

dun":1wfvi2iy said:
If fertilizer would do any good is based on 2 criteria. Are you getting enough moisture for it to do any good and what kind of grass it is. If it's a CSG and your temps are running in the 0s you won;t get much growth until early fall. If you plan to stockpile it for winter grazing, it's better to wait until early fall to apply it after it has broken dormancy. For hay production, winter or very early spring is a better option to fertilize.
That is what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Bigfoot":1eyv5lvc said:
I didn't fertilize anything this year. Not because I didn't want to, I literally never had time. My hay looks to make an atleast average first cutting. I doubt I skip fertilizing two years in a row, but I'm pleased with the $ it saved me this year.

Bigfoot, is there much clover down there? It is starting to grow some in the pasture, both white and red clover; but this has been a very poor clover year here. Not much bloat, so all things have a positive side.

We've all been commenting on how much clover we have. About as thick as be ever seen it.

Bigfoot":bs00ienb said:
We've all been commenting on how much clover we have. About as thick as be ever seen it.
That is a real puzzle!!! About 3 years ago we had a clover year. I lost the only cow I have lost in the four going on five years I have been in operation due to bloat. Sadly, she was a registered cow that had tons of potential. But this year, I am thinking the late cold spell when it got down in the twenties must have stopped clover growth. I am surprised it did well there.

If u don't have any clover I think spreading some N would help get you a good second cutting if it doesn't get dry

Latest posts