Fertilizing clover

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Seeded some clover and got a decent stand looks like , how much nitrogen should I apply for the other grass at this time ? Didn't sample this year but have p and k up to snuff as of last year , hayfield . I'm thinking about 50lb /acre , and sample midsummer , what do you think ? I certainly don't want to hurt the clover but I definitely need a good first cutting . I'll add , it is a 15% alfalfa mix, mostly fescue /bermuda established grass field . Tkanks ahead of time .

Texasmark

Reaction score
If you follow the Ag. school's train of thought, you replace what you take off. If you remove a ton of a crop and it tests X % N, you just removed that many # of N from your soil. Replace it or suffer the consequences next year.

Since you said you do soil samples, just look at what you added/removed since your last test, throw in the added clover contribution and you have your answer.

I plant Austrian winter peas and use the N from the nodules to get that part for my crop. I did kick in some extra N this year because the available bag fert. was not per a test result and was an even blend. I had originally planned to till in for soil humus and didn't pay attention to the numbers but now I have a new customer that might be wanting the crop so it may come off after all. Now that we got some rain and temps staying above freezing, adequate sunshine, the rye-pea combo is bursting at the seams.

Ebenezer

Reaction score
Anything over 30 pounds per acre shuts down nitrogen fixation of legume roots but does not hurt legumes. They just use the N you apply, too. The issue is whether you get so much grass from a N application of N that it smothers out the legumes.

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
The resident expert advised me to not fertilize the grass until after clover seeds , I am not looking to produce a soild hay crop of clover either and only want the clover to reseed and build the soil.

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
snoopdog":2cm7lg4q said:
I'll add , it is a 15% alfalfa mix, mostly fescue /bermuda established grass field . Tkanks ahead of time .

A pro would require a grass yield target before giving any input. I am not a pro:

- Recommend no N applied with over 30 to 40% legume. Some will still reccomend N becasue they are going for maximum yield, and there will be a response to N, but it may not be profitable.

- Treat 15% alfalfa as a grass stand. Now we are back to the grass yield target....

Ebenezer

Reaction score
Stocker Steve":2ip81tek said:
Ebenezer":2ip81tek said:
Anything over 30 pounds per acre shuts down nitrogen fixation of legume roots but does not hurt legumes.

Where does 30#/a max come from?
Standard Extension comment. Seems it is on the soil test reports or reference sheets.

OP
snoopdog

snoopdog

Reaction score
Ebenezer":18eqmsj7 said:
Anything over 30 pounds per acre shuts down nitrogen fixation of legume roots but does not hurt legumes. They just use the N you apply, too. The issue is whether you get so much grass from a N application of N that it smothers out the legumes.
The smothering issue was my main concern , but also my ignorance on the fixation /maturity levels of the clover stand . Do you get maximum fixation as it matures up to bloom or just how does that work ? Thanks again

ddd75

Reaction score
i had 35 - 40% cover coverage and put out 100 lb / N on my fields. I doubled my hay yields.

Ebenezer

Reaction score
snoopdog":2whravtp said:
Ebenezer":2whravtp said:
The smothering issue was my main concern , but also my ignorance on the fixation /maturity levels of the clover stand . Do you get maximum fixation as it matures up to bloom or just how does that work ? Thanks again
The pounds of N produced by a legume species in the books: full growth period for that species. Clover plus commercial fertilizer is not a sin: just getting benefit of better forage from clovers without the N fixation or at worst more grass hay as some have said with less legumes in the mix. I am extreme in that I want the legumes to produce all of the N I can get. That's just my deal.

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Pounds of N per acre varies a lot with different legumes. Google and you will see a range of what an average stand of XXX produces per year.
Pounds of N per acre available varies a lot with the soil temperature. This is why some folks fertilize early or late to extend the growing season.
Pounds of N per acre varies a lot with stand density. For alfalfa, you can count the number of crowns per sq foot and multiply that by a value to get pounds N per acre credit from PLOW DOWN.
Pounds of N per acre varies a lot between ongoing growth and plow down. Some legumes do not share a lot of N until the plant dies.

Ebenezer

Reaction score
Stocker Steve":27bvb2ky said:
Pounds of N per acre varies a lot with different legumes. Google and you will see a range of what an average stand of XXX produces per year.
Pounds of N per acre available varies a lot with the soil temperature. This is why some folks fertilize early or late to extend the growing season.
Pounds of N per acre varies a lot with stand density. For alfalfa, you can count the number of crowns per sq foot and multiply that by a value to get pounds N per acre credit from PLOW DOWN.
Pounds of N per acre varies a lot between ongoing growth and plow down. Some legumes do not share a lot of N until the plant dies.
That's why they show a range per species. For the ones which do not share N, such as s. lespedeza, the N gets to the other plants via grazing and resultant manure and urine. But not a deal with haying.

Point was, graze it down and do not allow it mature: a big drop out of the range.

OP
snoopdog

snoopdog

Reaction score
I believe I will wait . Did some research after I posted and everything ties together with your replies , should have done it before , but I didn't .

Latest posts