fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

D.R. Cattle":3b32nb7m said:
TX funny you should say that, I was just thinking I could use the bucket on a bobcat to do it faster than driving by hand. Done deal. Thanks for the help guys.

depending on your type of soil, you may have to wait until after a rain when the ground softens a bit or you'll bend the t-posts.

Since manual pounders are getting too heavy these days, I bought a phneumatic one from an outfit I think in Oregon. I use a gasoline compressor and can drive posts all day long and not get tired. If you're interested I'll go look at the pounder and get the name. Seems like it ran about $450.00, but it's paid for itself already.

dun

paying 4.27 for 4" X7' wood line posts, there is no fence cheaper than Hi ten- I'm a fencing contractor! steel posts last as good as wood if you get less than 20-25 inches of rain/yr and your soil isn't acidic. hi-ten isn't a fence if it isn't hot! 100' spacing on posts wellllllllllll?might work where pasture are so big the sight of a fence scares the cows. I spread em about 18 to 25' and don't use stays, stays are a pain and need to be maintained. most of my customers won't maintain a fence so it pays to pull the spacing on posts closer.

6 feet is about optimum, but frequently only 3-4 is possible. We dig the hole as deep as we can with the post auger then drive them from there. Sometimes they will go in another 3 feet, sometimes only a couple of inches. We fill the hole with as good of dirt as we can find. We try to avoid the normal rocky stuff for backfilling as it's a lousey conductor for the ground.

dun

quote="D.R. Cattle"]How far apart would you guys spread your grounding rods?[/quote]

DR: I have a five strand hi tinsel fence around my place and I have never had a cow get out. In fact, If a tree falls on the fence all I do is cut it off and fence will pop up in its orginial position. Barb wire will not do that. I feel safe puting my T post about 50 feet apart and even place a 6" round wood about every sixth or seventh post on the highway. On leased land I would not use the wood post. I also use Push-A-Post braces for the corners. They are strong, removable and easy to install. I do recommend using a good fence entergizer sized for the amount of fence you are going to build. My fence runs about 6 - 9,000 volts. I made the second strand from the botton and second strand from the top hot. Hi tinsel fencing is fast and much easier to install than any other type.

Latest posts