Fencing the KIWI Way

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
David Krider from PowerFlex Systems was kind enough to share these photos with me.
David took the photos at a Farm Expo in New Zealand where they were having a fence building contest.

As you can see, one design shows a 9 strand HT fence. That's some serious corner post bracing!

nz1.jpg

nz2.jpg

nz3.jpg

nz4.jpg

nz5.jpg

intresting

was it just the 9 strand one that had the post so close together

Those aren't posts...they're battens to hold the spacing on the wires. David told me they have plenty of lumber over there.

JH

Some of those battens are better than some of my post im ashamed to say

That looks like the competition area at the National Fieldays in the Waikato last month. Bear in mind that in a practical situation you'd have time and machinery to level off ground rather than use so many posts over a small hill area. These guys are fencing fast and with enormous attention to detail for the judges. Normal post spacing is five posts to the chain (22 yards) and then five battens between each post. Around here we rarely use more than seven wires, although a couple of weeks ago put in an eight-wire boundary fence - I'll get a picture uploaded when I can. The battens don't do much to the construction of the fence, but create a stronger structure so that animals are less able to push their heads through the wires. Often we'll put an electric outrigger or two on the fence to stop such pushing - don't like using barbed wire, which would be the former method of discouragement.

We might have a lot of timber trees growing here, but presently most of them seem to be going for export and getting hold of fence posts is like looking for the proverbial hen's tooth!

Thats funny. I was talking to my brother the other day about hosting lawn mower races.

In a few months I sure wouldnt mind a plowing and planting demonstration either. :lol:

Latest posts