Fencing Question

Help Support CattleToday:

JWGrant

Reaction score
Have some fencing to do and was talking to a guy who suggested I wait till it warms up some to do it. He said it would be easy to get the fence tighter if its stretched in warmer weather. I get what he is saying on the expansion and contraction of metal due to temperature but do you think this will make that much difference or is he splitting hairs? Am using high tensile barbed wire.

Thanks in advance.

Corner post are hard to get right when the ground is soft, but steel post are easier to drive.

High tensile works fine in the winter. Dont want to get heat stroke putting in the fence. I put mine in the colder months and have had no problems

I agree. High tensile seems a lot different than that soft wire. Least that's what I've seen. I hope I'm done fencing. I think I've become allergic to it.

Jogeephus":361rvmzp said:
I agree. High tensile seems a lot different than that soft wire. Least that's what I've seen. I hope I'm done fencing. I think I've become allergic to it.

I know what you mean. I've developed numerous allergies as I've gotten older. I'm allergic to moving furniture, pulling calves, and fresh concrete, and the list keeps growing.

Wire stretched in cold will tend to get loose in hot weather. If you stretch it really tight though it wont be a issue. Build good braces and stretch it near the breaking point, even break it and splice it and stretch it again then you've got all stretch out. High tensile wire doesnot contract and expand near as much.BUILD GOOD BRACES( DEEP HOLES)

If you was going to build a new fence to keep in cows weaned calves and bulls what kind of fence would you say would be best?

I used to think woven wire but Iam having second thoughts.

I saw a fence I liked at the experiment station. It was a combination woven and barbed wire fence only the woven fence was short. Maybe 3' tall tops. Then the rest of the fence was barbed wire. I thought this was a good idea in that it would keep the cows from sticking their heads through like woven wire but it was low enough the cows wouldn't be rubbing on the woven wire to scratch.

Jogeephus":19241xlj said:
I saw a fence I liked at the experiment station. It was a combination woven and barbed wire fence only the woven fence was short. Maybe 3' tall tops. Then the rest of the fence was barbed wire. I thought this was a good idea in that it would keep the cows from sticking their heads through like woven wire but it was low enough the cows wouldn't be rubbing on the woven wire to scratch.

That sounds like a good idea wonder where u find short woven wire. That's the problem I have with woven wire is the cows have been rubbing on it and in places it's getting loose. Iam a picky kinda guy and hate having loose fence looks awful.

I do new fencing this time of year. The ground is softer and most years I have time now that I won't have later on.
The key is to stretch from brace to brace and then go grab it right in the middle with your billy's and yank it back hard and then wave it up and down until it's loose and then stretch it tight again before you hang it. If it's more than a hundred yard stretch do it twice before you hang it.

Oklahoma and Sheffield both have decent net wire in 39 inch hieght 9-39-12 or 9-39-6 = 9 gauge top and bottom wires 39 inch high, last number is vertical wire spacing 6 or 12 inch. Net wire is fine, but if one of the smaller inside wires breaks now you have a large hole. Always put a couple of barb wire s abouve net, i like to also put one flush with top wire of net and put a hog ring about every 18 inches , keeps deer etc from beating it down.i build fence for living have for 27 years and for cows ill take a 7 wire barbwire fence built really tight over net wire.

Thanks for input. Still trying to get things in order before I buy some cattle. Not in any hurry due to the price.

pricefarm":at3pggbl said:
Jogeephus":at3pggbl said:

That sounds like a good idea wonder where u find short woven wire. That's the problem I have with woven wire is the cows have been rubbing on it and in places it's getting loose. Iam a picky kinda guy and hate having loose fence looks awful.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/g ... _vc=-10005

JWGrant":3kx1fjpk said:
Thanks for input. Still trying to get things in order before I buy some cattle. Not in any hurry due to the price.
very smart jw. Get your fences in order and grass well established. Wait on prices to get right to buy in. You wouldn't. Believe how many people we see( especially with horses) buy stock before they even have a fence. Have them in the yard and worse. Thars starting behind the eight ball. Give it a year and work on your place.it will pay you for years to come.

Latest posts