Fencing Question

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
This is probably a very bad question, but when putting up a barbed wire fence do you
start at the bottom and go up or the top and go down??

I pull a bottom strand tight to make sure the fence is straight before I set my post. If you unroll one strand at a time it really does not matter if you attach each strand before the next strand is pulled.

X2. I start at the top to help keep from loosing your bottem strands when you tighten your top strand. I always stretch the top strand first and then use it to line up my metal t post to drive them. Then work my way down.

I'm in on the top down vote. My posts these days usually don't pull but why take a chance?

M5farm":2nqiqnr3 said:
Aaron":2nqiqnr3 said:
Top down to take any remaining slack out of the braces. Bottom up will leave you with sloppy bottom wires.

Not if your corners are right.

Other than steel and concrete, all braces and corners have some degree of give in them, especially when first set. The very fact that they do, is why we are having this discussion.

Start from the top and work down. Barbed wire can and will get tangled real quick, if you try to pull it past one another.

wacocowboy":12ai2ban said:
I work from the bottom up and all the fence building companies I have seen around here works from the bottom.
Fence companys have more then one person doing the job

dun":33msqj72 said:
wacocowboy":33msqj72 said:
I work from the bottom up and all the fence building companies I have seen around here works from the bottom.
Fence companys have more then one person doing the job

That is true and usually I have someone helping me, but I can do it alone, and all my new fences are tight as guitar strings.

I run from the bottom up. Set the t posts after the bottom strand. Use dead man's behind the corner post. Corners and braces are your fence regardless of how you run it.

Its best to start in the middle an rotate from top to bottom
like on 5 wire #3-#2-#4-#1-#5

I was taught bottom first. H brace with rail at the top of the posts, strainer wire from top of brace post to bottom of end post with end post pushed back about 2 inches at the top will hold most stretches of fence. Do not drive staples fast on wooden posts; let the wire be able to move with temperature changes. Tie off ends and leave those staples out enough to pull them if you need to tighten later. I recommend hi tensile barbed wire.

m5,s got it right, bottom first then layout and drive post. stretch and clip top wire next. Raise or lower post to get straight or nice rolling top. (no sharp peaks or valleys in top wire.bend awire or welding rod for wire spacing.ex. 10 in. strech remaining wires and clip using w ire you bent to space them nice and even.they cant really tangle unless you cross the Ends. if braces pull at all pull them up and start over. You will set them deep enough the second time.

Latest posts