Fencing Question

Help Support CattleToday:

From the top down here--been doing it that way since 1966, and have never had a problem.
I do always, set one post deep on each end of the fence, stretch a temp wire just tight enough to have a straight guide line, then add the braces to the corners, any mid fence H brace setups, gate posts, then slack off the temp wire and move it to the top--put in a few tee posts just to keep the wires up off the ground to better see how tight and how much sag you might have, then stretch the other 4 or 5 wires. I put all the Tee posts in after all the wires are stretched. Never had a problem with the corners giving much at all. I just did one wednsday and thursday this week in a cold pouring rain and ended up with a nice straight tight 770' long fence right down on the river- mostly in sand. Corners and H braces set 3 1/2-4' deep.
(I work alone 99.9% of the time.)

LRTX1 is right--the corners are your fence, whether you do them the traditional 2 vertical post with a horiz brace between or the floating brace--if they aren't right, you don't have a fence. They gotta be able to hold the strain of a tight wire X5 plus any pressure the cows put on it--and do it for years and years.