Fencing Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Glad we don't have rocks here, those rock jacks sound like a tough cookie.

Here is a picture of my semi-completed solution.

linetree.jpg

To keep lightning from killing the tree an H brace was set back and the wire is seperate - wood post should work as insulatior - I hope.

IMG_0405.jpg

The tree will grow right over those screws and cover them up before long. Don't know if that matters to you or not.

Fred":19q6seha said:
The tree will grow right over those screws and cover them up before long. Don't know if that matters to you or not.

Shouldn't matter until someone needs to take a chainsaw to the tree. I don't want to be around for that wreck.Z

MillIronQH":1v42htm7 said:
Fred":1v42htm7 said:

Shouldn't matter until someone needs to take a chainsaw to the tree. I don't want to be around for that wreck.Z

Bad enough on a chain saw, but a blade in the mill really gets expensive.

Tree is a live oak. No one around here will saw them. Besides, if they did saw them, this tree is too big to go through any mills in this area - don't use head rigs anymore. Closest mill that will take oversized is in SC. We shipped some there last fall but they only take pine.

If the tree grows over the eyebolts, I don't see any problem - just hope to live to see it.

Arouund here you can hardly swing a cat without hitting someone with a portable mill. They'll saw almost any hardwood for blocking and pallets.

dun

We got a few wood misers around but most want you to bring trees to them. We get them to cut up cypress for boards in pens and barns. Don't think they would want any live oak though cause it will dull a saw. Did have someone from the USFS asking about live oaks for the USS Constitution.(I think that is the name) It is the oldest and only commissioned sailing ship the Navy has. They wanted limbs for the keel and such when they refurbished it a few years ago.

Jogeephus":2vyh8q1c said:
We got a few wood misers around but most want you to bring trees to them. We get them to cut up cypress for boards in pens and barns. Don't think they would want any live oak though cause it will dull a saw. Did have someone from the USFS asking about live oaks for the USS Constitution.(I think that is the name) It is the oldest and only commissioned sailing ship the Navy has. They wanted limbs for the keel and such when they refurbished it a few years ago.

Mills here will absolutely NOT buy fencerow trees of any size or species. An Oak that big has probably grown over 2/3 different fences already, so I don't see you've harmed it.

Thanks John. My main goal has been to preserve it and establish the line so the neighbor does not bulldoze the trees down. He has already suggested we do this and I said no. This tree along with several others are beautiful and can provide a lot of shade to the cattle. I just can't see pushing down trees that have been here for centuries just to get a smidgeon more land to farm.

Jogeephus":3ly1l2h1 said:
Thanks John. My main goal has been to preserve it and establish the line so the neighbor does not bulldoze the trees down. He has already suggested we do this and I said no. This tree along with several others are beautiful and can provide a lot of shade to the cattle. I just can't see pushing down trees that have been here for centuries just to get a smidgeon more land to farm.

I manage a few acres of hardwood forest. I enjoy a good tree. I used to go to great lengths to avoid harming a tree. I thought you'd kill them with fence. But I've seen oaks completely girdled with fence and they live about a normal life. And make themselves useful.

Now, a 15 acres neighbor let his horses girdle every tree on our shared fenceline. The trees were on his side, but the deadwood falls on our common fence. That sucks.

I agree. One of my main concerns has been lightning. We live near the lightning capital of the world and get quit a few hits. Don't know why but it is always the trees you don't want to lose that get killed from fence line strikes. For that matter, it is always your best cows that lightning kills as well. Hopefully, with this setup, the H brace will stop any electricity.

Latest posts