fencing cost

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":3ottvx34 said:
JRGidaho`":3ottvx34 said:
upfrombottom":3ottvx34 said:
Sounds like you may have paid for a few siestas too.
I dunno, that's right at $1/ft for 6-wire barb. There aren't many places I know anywhere in the West where you could get fence built that cheap.

Installed 5-strand (material & labor) was running $2.20 to $2.70/ft in most areas last year. I had quotes from CA, UT, NV, ID, & MT. That is also about what BLM and FS allocate for projects on grazing allotments.
I wish I could get that around here
I charge $.65 per ft labor for a 5 wire fence with corners and I still have people under cut me

for just putting in the T-post and stretching wire they are charging $.33 per ft

I do some fencing for NRCS and Local SWCD programs and their scale right now is $1.75 pr ft labor and Materials

There are probably some pretty hungry people in your part of the country. With the higher population and smaller farms, there are also likely to be more people willing to build fence. They also get to stay closer to home.

A Forest Service fence job out here would likely entail having to camp on site, build up steep rocky slopes, and, of course, just getting the material to the jobsite. One of our neighbors had to build some jack fence for a riparian exclosure at the edge of a wilderness study area and they brought the posts and rails in by helicopter since there weren't any roads. That'll sure add to your cost. ;-)

My nephew and I fenced off a 100 acre pasture last summer using schedule 40 pipe as corners 40 inches in the ground in concrete (about 90 lbs of concrete per post) ---1 of these posts ever 800 ft. After we set the corners we spent 4 days driving fiberglass posts (with a 8 lb sledgehammer-- 18" in the ground) (18 ft apart) (we did about 70 posts an hour- taking a few breaks) and another 4 days pulling the wire (5 strands w/ 10 inch spacing)(we built a roller that would roll out 5 strands at a time) -- we did it for just under $8000.

high tensile is the way to go

Around Amarillo, TX the average cost is $8,000 per mile for: 5 strand barbed wire (12-1/2 ga. OK wire), 400 (+/-) T-posts, 3-1/2" steel corners, extra stretch post on the 1/2 mile and one steel pipe gate opening (2 steel H-braces with a short "stinger" brace on each end. This is for flat land, no brush to clear, no old fence to remove. All labor, concrete & transportation included.

well the suit said they would not pay to run 1 fence.so we can pen the cows up.he said they would pay 3 months pasture lease an all the feed hay an other things it would take to carry them.an even pay for the trucking to an from the lease pasture.an theres no pasture here for lease.so we told them no deal once again.an they want all the right away leases signed by the end of match.an that aint happening here right now.the sad thing is the boss has no idea what it takes todo what we have todo.

We've done several miles of fencing and cross-fencing on our 2 places since 2002.

2009 materials cost about double what they were in 2002.

We do 6 strand barb wire with T-posts set 10' apart. Welded brace units with stinger 10' from "H" part.

Current rate with our present fence people is $1.00 ft labor (no brush clearing, sandy/clay soil). Brace units about $250 with numerous welds, posts set in concrete. Gate installatons about $65. for labor. Fence is so tight you could "play a tune" on wires...lol.

Labor rate for Repair Work is $15 per man hour. Welder use when needed is extra $15. an hour.

Lot of fencing work around here...we often have to wait 2-3 weeks till the crew can schedule us...try to plan in advance...lol.

I think cattle that are "trained" to electric fence that 1 2 or 3 strands is plenty. Holding pens differ and I would make that oil company build me a fence with schedule 40 corners goat wire with a strand of barbed wire on top and bottom and even perhaps a high tensile hot strand on a stand-off about mid way down on a 50 inch tall fence...

thats the prob the fence is prolly 2000 to 3000ft long.an when its built itll be done with drill stem corners an H braces every so meny feet.plus good double 12ft steel gates.an he is screaming at what that will cost so now we are just waiting on them.because to get the deal done a fence will have tobe built.an i dont trust a 3 wire hotwire fence to keep cattle out of their work areas.they gonna dig a trench 5ft wide by 4ft deep about 3000 or 4000 ft long.plus have trucks an riggs going in an out bringing in pipe.

Two strand high tensile electrified is all ya need for most trained cattle, at least in my case. At those prices I just would not be able to afford it. I notice some terminology that I am not familiar with - what is a stinger? Also, what are the advantages of using the steel braces rather then wood?

what is a stinger?

Concerning fences, it's local terminology (probably wrong) indicating the shortened third leg of a brace or corner. It's sunk 4' into the ground as all the posts are, but only sticks out above ground 6" to 12" in height. Just past the second leg the top rail is notched on bottom with a cutting torch and allowed to drop down onto this short piece of pipe before being welded tight. The short piece of pipe (stinger, end, short-post, whatever) is often notched, or saddled, so the dropping down piece of pipe top rail can be smoothly welded in place. (This is if the corner or brace is built with a top rail vs. an H-brace type construction). Some people say this makes a stronger fence; others say it's a little cheaper this way; and others say it's just another way you can do it if it pleases your eye. Personally, I like it because it seems as strong as any set up I've seen, and the d*** grackles can't perch on it as easy.

a stinger comes off the corners or H braces an goes in the ground.if you put in steel corners an H braces you dont have to worry about fire taking them out.the reason i wont use a hotwire is because my beef cows would ripp it all out as it was popping the devil out of them.an they arnt used to hotwires.

bigbull338":1d9jluvx said:
thats the prob the fence is prolly 2000 to 3000ft long.an when its built itll be done with drill stem corners an H braces every so meny feet.plus good double 12ft steel gates.an he is screaming at what that will cost so now we are just waiting on them.because to get the deal done a fence will have tobe built.an i dont trust a 3 wire hotwire fence to keep cattle out of their work areas.they gonna dig a trench 5ft wide by 4ft deep about 3000 or 4000 ft long.plus have trucks an riggs going in an out bringing in pipe.
What is the widith of the right away the pipline company requires. Just interested in how much. Also are they wanting a single use right away. Is this the 36 inch pipline or is it smaller. 12 inchs is not much cover over a 36 inch line. Does the pipline company have the right of eminent domain. At some point will they get tired of negoiating and go to court with you.

hurleyjd":2c8e0wm5 said:
bigbull338":2c8e0wm5 said:
What is the widith of the right away the pipline company requires. Just interested in how much. Also are they wanting a single use right away. Is this the 36 inch pipline or is it smaller. 12 inchs is not much cover over a 36 inch line. Does the pipline company have the right of eminent domain. At some point will they get tired of negoiating and go to court with you.
the wideth of the pipeline rightaway is 50ft wide.an itll be in the contract that they can only run 1 pipeline.yes its a 36in pipeline.yes they have the right of eminent domain.but that really would cost them alot of time an money.an heres why.they are dealing with 5 family members.1 has turned his over to well known high powered lawyer.so they want to really work with that lawyer because he can deal them misery.1 place is in partnership.an 1 partner wants the place devided before they sigh.then us an all we are asking for is a fence to pen the cattle.the last 1 is waiting to see what happens.

Latest posts