fencing cost

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
shortly after the 1st of the year we will be fencing off a 15ac pasture to hold 100hd or more for 2wks to 120 days.an i need to know what the fence would cost a running foot.we will hire a fence builder to build the fence.an a oil pipe co will be paying all the fencing cost so i need a pretty good est of the cost.

around here a 5 strand barb wire fence,with steel corners and braces and labor runs around $1.38per ft

if you need more than I set of stretch post in the middle of a 1/4mile the cost goes up on materials and labor and on smaller stretches the price goes up a little also

ok hweres a little background on why im asking these qs.weve been talking to an oil company that going to put a 36in pipeline through our place sometime in 2010.thus splitting our place in 2.an our cows run on all the place that they want to put the pipeline so they all have tobe penned.the oil co is supposed to pay for the fence.as well as all the feed hay an tubbs it takes while the cows are dryloted on this pasture.wich means we should charge them damages to the drylot pasture.

bigbull338":w08rs40b said:
ok hweres a little background on why im asking these qs.weve been talking to an oil company that going to put a 36in pipeline through our place sometime in 2010.thus splitting our place in 2.an our cows run on all the place that they want to put the pipeline so they all have tobe penned.the oil co is supposed to pay for the fence.as well as all the feed hay an tubbs it takes while the cows are dryloted on this pasture.wich means we should charge them damages to the drylot pasture.

I just finished fencing 88 acres 6 wire, railroad ties for corners three post each way with the corner post counted as one of the three, ties were free. three tie as post braced every 710 feet for pulls. One gate with pipe entrance. 6 foot tee post every 10 foot. I was out around $18000 for this.
No fence contractor, Three local Mexicans that worked hard and knew what they were doing. They charged $9 an hour each. $8000 labor the rest was material bought at the co-op

hurleyjd":835wutfr said:
bigbull338":835wutfr said:

I just finished fencing 88 acres 6 wire, railroad ties for corners three post each way with the corner post counted as one of the three, ties were free. three tie as post braced every 710 feet for pulls. One gate with pipe entrance. 6 foot tee post every 10 foot. I was out around $18000 for this.
No fence contractor, Three local Mexicans that worked hard and knew what they were doing. They charged $9 an hour each. $8000 labor the rest was material bought at the co-op
I need to come build fence for you if you are paying that for labor

heres my plans for the fence.i plan on using steel corners an steel H braces an 7ft steel T post every 8ft.as well as put in 4 double gates.those 4 double gates will go into 4 differant pastures.hoping to know something monday or sooner.because itll take a while to clean the fence rows.an get the fence supplys in place.

Angus Cowman":3s9bpuj2 said:
hurleyjd":3s9bpuj2 said:
bigbull338":3s9bpuj2 said:

The labor also included removing and rolling the old wire and cutting the brush away to be able to build the fence. So do you still think the labor is to high. Takes as much time to clean the fence row and remove the old wire and roll up as it takes to build fence.

hurleyjd":2dyfx47d said:

The labor also included removing and rolling the old wire and cutting the brush away to be able to build the fence. So do you still think the labor is to high. Takes as much time to clean the fence row and remove the old wire and roll up as it takes to build fence.
You never stated that was tear down and rebuild you just stated it cost $8000 labor for your new fence
No for tear out and rebuild that isn't high as tear out usually runs the same or more than the installation of the new fence

I am going to be fencing a 128 acre piece this spring with 2 strand high tensile, using fiberglass sucker rod post spaced every 60 feet,, black locust home cut corners - floating brace, along with some standing trees used for corners, and factored in $1000 for bull dozer to clear some rows and a $800 budgeted for other labor and my estimate ended up around $4200. The fence will be energized with a $800, 15 joule charger.

Last I had done,
5 strand barbed, 6" treated wood corners, 6' t-posts every 10' runs $1.85 a foot here in so. La..
Gates and posts- cost plus over that. Any clearing extra.
If you talk to a sure enough "Fence Company" down here you can get prices of better than $5.00 a foot,-straight faced!

i already knew if you talkesd to a fence building co.that they would be real high.im really figuring $3.50 a foot or less.but i may get fooled bigtime.

bigbull338":399g19pw said:
i already knew if you talkesd to a fence building co.that they would be real high.im really figuring $3.50 a foot or less.but i may get fooled bigtime.
Around here it is $2.25 plus corners. That is a 5 wire with cedar posts. For dry lot I would go with 6 wire or 5 plus a hot. Like someone else said the grass is going to be greener on the other side.
I think there will substantial extra cost when you add in the gates and labor. I would start calling around getting prices.
On another note. Putting the pipe line down the center of your property devalues it substantially. If you could force them to go down the property line you would be much better off. You never know what the future will hold as far as your property is concerned.
Another thing is that pipe line companies are notorious for leaving you place pretty trashy. I hope you are getting paid well and have a good contract as to how they will leave it. I would make no assumptions as to what they will or will not do.

Novatech brought up a good point about what pipelines do to property. I have a few farms that a gas transmission line went through and the surface was never reclaimed correctly - bare scarified soil with lots of invasive weeds such as knappweed, a nemisis of mine in this area. So I would get them to pay for a top notch fence and make darn sure there are some stipulations mandating a guaranteed level of reclamaition.

those points will be in the contract in written detail before the contract is signed.they wanted to leave any brush piled up for wildlife habatat.an we told them no you will not leave any brush piles.an to bring in a big chipper to mulch them.plus they are paying for a custom sprigger to come in an replant 15acs more or less.plus winter grass replanting an fertalizer cost.an pay for hay losses for 3yrs.as well as pasture losses for 3yrs.

upfrombottom":1r84n6my said:
Sounds like you may have paid for a few siestas too.
I dunno, that's right at $1/ft for 6-wire barb. There aren't many places I know anywhere in the West where you could get fence built that cheap.

Installed 5-strand (material & labor) was running $2.20 to $2.70/ft in most areas last year. I had quotes from CA, UT, NV, ID, & MT. That is also about what BLM and FS allocate for projects on grazing allotments.

I paid $785 for material to run 1000 ft of fence in November, 5 strand/12.5ga/four barb wire and T-Post on 10ft centers. I used light poles for corners and stretchers. Paid another $60 for landscape timbers for center braces, staples, and wire clips. Had to put in three corners and cross two creeks. If my figures are correct it will take about 7500ft to go around 80 acres. More if cut up and hilly. I was wrong about the labor it sounds pritty close to $1 ft. The material is where I see a big difference. Around here labor runs about $1 to $1.25ft. but we don't have rocks to contend with.

JRGidaho`":1ymtt2bn said:
upfrombottom":1ymtt2bn said:
Sounds like you may have paid for a few siestas too.
I dunno, that's right at $1/ft for 6-wire barb. There aren't many places I know anywhere in the West where you could get fence built that cheap.

Installed 5-strand (material & labor) was running $2.20 to $2.70/ft in most areas last year. I had quotes from CA, UT, NV, ID, & MT. That is also about what BLM and FS allocate for projects on grazing allotments.
I wish I could get that around here
I charge $.65 per ft labor for a 5 wire fence with corners and I still have people under cut me

for just putting in the T-post and stretching wire they are charging $.33 per ft

I do some fencing for NRCS and Local SWCD programs and their scale right now is $1.75 pr ft labor and Materials