Fences

Help Support CattleToday:

melking

Reaction score
I jaust came back from a quick trip to Indiana and I heard something I had not heard before. "A good fence has to be cow tall, pig strong and goat tight. Anybody ever heard this or something similar?

melking":3pekv6xs said:
I jaust came back from a quick trip to Indiana and I heard something I had not heard before. "A good fence has to be cow tall, pig strong and goat tight. Anybody ever heard this or something similar?

no but thats a good one. thanks for sharing.

That old saying has been around since the 1880's with different versions, The first one was when an ole Texan rode up on that fence and said: By gosh that fence must be horse high, pig tight and bull strong. How do I know this ,well I was that Texan that saw that fence and said that. :cboy:

Yes, I have heard it and variations.

Dad always said, "If a fence will hold water, it will hold goats. "

Another oldie is "Good fences make good neighbors" with several variations to the addy.

backhoeboogie":12m0v50z said:
Yes, I have heard it and variations.

I have too. And every word of it is true.

Last winter I learned that one of my fences was, indeed, pig strong and I thought it was cow tall until a few of the cows decided they wanted the hay that I had put into the hog pen. :mad:

cowboy43":nsoikosc said:
That old saying has been around since the 1880's with different versions, The first one was when an ole Texan rode up on that fence and said: By gosh that fence must be horse high, pig tight and bull strong. How do I know this ,well I was that Texan that saw that fence and said that. :cboy:

Above is the saying I have always heard. I rented a place the other day and had to pull out the old saying, "that fence will turn an honest cow". Exterior fences are patchy at best but will work for a while.

My saying is "a fence is just a suggestion". Most of the time it works, but if one wants out or in bad enough the only thing that is going to stop it costs way more than your willing to spend.

backhoeboogie":tp6uts4b said:
Another oldie is "Good fences make good neighbors" with several variations to the addy.

Cuentas claras conservan la amistad

Seems that both Washington DC and Mexico City don't agree with that Boogie.

greybeard":fdsvs6ez said:
backhoeboogie":fdsvs6ez said:

Cuentas claras conservan la amistad

Seems that both Washington DC and Mexico City don't agree with that Boogie.

Well then, that makes us even. I don't agree with Mexico City and sure as hades don't agree with the other either. :cboy:

I think my cattle are just gentle creatures. I'd describe my fence as calf tall, and i can't think of any farm animals weak enough to describe the rest of it.

I guess it helps that the grass isn't greener on the other side, and there are no cattle on adjacent farms.

Latest posts