fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":1sjys6sy said:
Commercialfarmer":1sjys6sy said:
Ground is about as moist as you could ask for except in the red rock, but i think maybe the drought a couple years ago took it's toll. Put in a couple miles of new fence at that time and it seems like we'd break a shear bolt every other hole.

20160831_125525_zpst4u8l02r.jpg

That auger is worth its weight in gold as far as im concerned. I hate digging holes for ties.

Been there. Get tired of replacing bolts and stick a grade 8 in . Usually gets the u_joint.

Yep. Those shear bolts are there for a reason.

As far as i know (which isn't much some days), it's the same kind of bolt. It came from the same machine shop as the other dozen that broke without incident.

I always try to keep an open mind, and Im sure things can get mixed around, but it sure looked the same.

Commercialfarmer":1bdmqwie said:
As far as i know (which isn't much some days), it's the same kind of bolt. It came from the same machine shop as the other dozen that broke without incident.

I always try to keep an open mind, and Im sure things can get mixed around, but it sure looked the same.

The bolt in the pic ain't a grade 8. May be a grade 5. Count the number of lines on top of the bolt head. That will tell you what grade bolt it is. Grade 8 bolts will be gold. Shear bolts need to be grade 3.

JMJ Farms":o6fnuovz said:
Commercialfarmer":o6fnuovz said:

The bolt in the pic ain't a grade 8. May be a grade 5. Count the number of lines on top of the bolt head. That will tell you what grade bolt it is. Grade 8 bolts will be gold. Shear bolts need to be grade 3.

All grade 8 bolts are not gold

Grade 5 three marks
Grade 7 5 marks
Grade 8 6 marks
Grade 2 no marks

To my knowledge there's no grade 3?

I can't tell what grade the bolt is. My comment was based on what I did to accomplish that result.

callmefence":24emghyo said:
Grade 5 three marks
Grade 7 5 marks
Grade 8 6 marks
Grade 2 no marks

I can't tell what grade the bolt is. My comment was based on what I did to accomplish that result.

Youre probably right about the grade 3 fence. I could've been told wrong. You know how that goes. I've never done it with an auger but I've been guilty of putting a grade 8 in a rotary mower. It's amazing that little bolt is stronger than a PTO shaft :bang:

M-5":24emghyo said:

I won't argue that point either dash. But every one I've ever bought has been gold. Maybe it's a local thing. Idk.

JMJ Farms":2hkmus7h said:
callmefence":2hkmus7h said:
Grade 5 three marks
Grade 7 5 marks
Grade 8 6 marks
Grade 2 no marks

Youre probably right about the grade 3 fence. I could've been told wrong. You know how that goes. I've never done it with an auger but I've been guilty of putting a grade 8 in a rotary mower. It's amazing that little bolt is stronger than a PTO shaft :bang:

M-5":2hkmus7h said:

I won't argue that point either dash. But every one I've ever bought has been gold. Maybe it's a local thing. Idk.

So your just gonna say you could be wrong like a full grown man.
No yelling and crying ,throwing up irrelevant links. Taking your ball and running home.
This is ct man . I protest your mature and decent response...BAN HIM.... ;-) :mrgreen:

callmefence":1tje0039 said:
JMJ Farms":1tje0039 said:
callmefence":1tje0039 said:
Grade 5 three marks
Grade 7 5 marks
Grade 8 6 marks
Grade 2 no marks

M-5":1tje0039 said:

So your just gonna say you could be wrong like a full grown man.
No yelling and crying ,throwing up irrelevant links. Taking your ball and running home.
This is ct man . I protest your mature and decent response...BAN HIM.... ;-) :mrgreen:

If you're wrong you're wrong. I ve had lots of practice :help: Fence, if you have been wrong as many times as I have have, heII it gets to where it don't even bother you :lol: But I will do one better, here's the link you requested. Not only does it make you right, it confirms i was wrong :deadhorse:

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-info ... chart.aspx

NECowboy":1nvyl1wg said:
Fenceman knows his stuff!
Fence is good at only posting on what he knows about :nod: some people could take a lesson (not talking about you jmj :lol: im probably as guilty as anyone)

Well for what it's worth they can make them "grade" bolts any color you want em. Them marks don't mean chit either unless you know where that steel bolt was made. Y'all break your Equiptment how ever you like too....:)

callmefence":3b547aae said:
Grade 5 three marks
Grade 7 5 marks
Grade 8 6 marks
Grade 2 no marks

Used to be according to my machinists class, but I can't remember what made it different from grade 2 or grade 5 tho I believe it was the material it was made from. It had 2 dashes on it-directly opposite each other. It is now considered an obsolete Grade. I want to say grade 3 was reserved for specialty solid bronze (not plated) bolts, but it's just been too long ago. There was also a Grade 1 and a Grade 6 bolt.
https://sizes.com/tools/bolts_inch_grades.htm

NECowboy":39dyxccw said:
ez14":39dyxccw said:
NECowboy":39dyxccw said:
Fenceman knows his stuff!
Fence is good at only posting on what he knows about :nod: some people could take a lesson (not talking about you jmj :lol: im probably as guilty as anyone)

Who you talkin about then lol
i didn't have anyone in particular in mind just something i've noticed on here

Every now and then, I will see a corral or just a stretch of fence like this in the background of someone's picture. The only wood, that I could cut myself, and achieve the same affect, and hold up to the elements is red cedar. The cedar on my place has too much white to really be successful with trying it. Out of curiosity, what species of wood is suitable to build something like this?

Around here people use black locust. Of course hedge is better, but I've never seen hedge poles that thin yet straight around here.

Walnut makes good posts, its about like locust and Sassafras makes good fence boards or rails.

Latest posts