Fence Question

Help Support CattleToday:

NORTH FLORIDA

Reaction score
Five strands of barb-wire over terraces with wood and T-post. The soil is sand and clay, any suggestions. The last time I put some up, my wire was pulling up post.

Hey NoFla, sometimes you just have to tie the fence down to an anchor, like a log or a big rock. At least that's what we do because we have an ample supply of both. Either that or you can shorten your pulls and then not pull quite as tight so your posts will stay in the ground.

Cuz

We have deep sand here too.

Our T-Posts are 8' long and in ground 2.5' deep. Corner posts are 2-7/8 steel units in ground 3.5' deep set in concrete with "stinger" braces set out 10' from second corner post unit. So far, no problems.

Or you can follow Caustics suggestion and drive the T-post through a sack of quickcrete.

dj":kjtecuye said:
Or you can follow Caustics suggestion and drive the T-post through a sack of quickcrete.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but I couldn't remember who's suggestion it was. I'll be doing that soon for a rock infested dip where a wood post just isn't an option, but I'll probably be slipping the sakrete over the post once it's in the ground.. Reason being, I won't know exactly where the post will be until it's driven, and I ain't pullin it out after that! :lol:

If that don't work and the fence pulls it up anyway, that's when I'll bury the bag and drive the post through it. At least that way the fence did part of the work by pulling the post. :)

cmjust0":1wzp07qp said:
dj":1wzp07qp said:

That's exactly what I was thinking, but I couldn't remember who's suggestion it was. I'll be doing that soon for a rock infested dip where a wood post just isn't an option, but I'll probably be slipping the sakrete over the post once it's in the ground.. Reason being, I won't know exactly where the post will be until it's driven, and I ain't pullin it out after that! :lol:

If that don't work and the fence pulls it up anyway, that's when I'll bury the bag and drive the post through it. At least that way the fence did part of the work by pulling the post. :)
wouldn't you have to be pretty quick to slip a bag of sackrete over the top before it ran out the hole in the bottom. After you decide where the post will be just lay the bag on the ground and drive the post through bag and all.
----------------------------------------------------------
back in the day we'd get a young buck full of vim and vigor.
really liked to show us his muscles. so somebody would bet he couldn't get a sack of barite over his head. course he could and did. till someone from behind cut the bottom of the sack while it was over his head. slowed'em down some. that was when you hustled 100 lbs sacks off the railcar floor and walked them to the door way and stacked on pallets. Thank you lord for forklifts and palletized freight.

dj":294juhuj said:
After you decide where the post will be just lay the bag on the ground and drive the post through bag and all.

Come on dj, how often have you ended up putting a post a couple of feet away from where you started it? I consider an Ozark fence pretty good if the posts are anywhere from 6-12 feet apart and no more then 2 feet either side of a centerline

dun

dun":1pkvn7ny said:
dj":1pkvn7ny said:
After you decide where the post will be just lay the bag on the ground and drive the post through bag and all.

Come on dj, how often have you ended up putting a post a couple of feet away from where you started it? I consider an Ozark fence pretty good if the posts are anywhere from 6-12 feet apart and no more then 2 feet either side of a centerline

dun
I thought that was the purpose of the sackrete so you wouldn't have to move it :) But to be honest I never tried this trick(yet).
On this rock you just staple to the closest tree. And if there isn't a tree there, give it a year the locust will be. :lol: ;-)

If you get your wires good and tight wont it just pick up the bag of sackcrete. Ive had posts pull like that and i weigh 190 pounds and sometimes i dont even start to push the wire back down. The best thing ive found to do is to take a steel post and drive it in the ground almost all the way in, like about ten inches sticking out, and then drive another post right up against it and then tie the two together. then its like having your post in the ground 6 foot.

I like causti's idea, but i think I'd probably scratch out a hole to lay the sacrete in and then drive the post. that way the hole forms a "Form" for the crete after the bag dissappears. smile....

I use an old steel post driven in at angle, in line with the wire to a depth of four feet. Wire the fence down to the post where its pulling opposite the direction the post is driven to prevent the post giving.

Jason":21szxn8d said:
If you get your wires good and tight wont it just pick up the bag of sackcrete. Ive had posts pull like that and i weigh 190 pounds and sometimes i dont even start to push the wire back down. The best thing ive found to do is to take a steel post and drive it in the ground almost all the way in, like about ten inches sticking out, and then drive another post right up against it and then tie the two together. then its like having your post in the ground 6 foot.

I seems to me that you are pulling your wire to tight, especially at that point.

Latest posts