Fence line feeder panels ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Anyone use fence line feeder panels? If so what's the best one? I see some with slant bars , S bar designs etc. I want to make sure the calves don't slip out the slots. Thanks

Richnm said:
Do they keep the calves from slipping out ?

Reasonably well but if you're talking small curious calves they will still probably find a way.

The systems the utilize steel cables to restrict head movement within the feeding zone would probably do the best at keeping calves out. Cheaper too in the long run.

Richnm said:
Do they keep the calves from slipping out ?

When I was at Deer Valley they had fence line feeders with panels and they mounted them at almost a 30 to 40 degree angle towards the cattle, supposed to keep calves from jumping through, I thought they calves would go through easier, was told they don't like the angle. But nothing with calves is full proof.

My cattle don't like alfalfa. :nod:

We have better luck holding calves by feeding under an electric wire.
Need two hot wires if you have yearlings that jump.

Stocker Steve said:
My cattle don't like alfalfa. :nod:

We have better luck holding calves by feeding under an electric wire.
Need two hot wires if you have yearlings that jump.

That's a good idea.

Richnm said:
Anyone use fence line feeder panels? If so what's the best one? I see some with slant bars , S bar designs etc. I want to make sure the calves don't slip out the slots. Thanks

I'm looking at building a set of fenceline feed bunks and have come up with a couple options.

First and least expensive is to run heavy drill pipe uprights on 8' centers with a top rail. Once this is done buy the continuous fence panels and weld them to the pipe fence. Now just cut out one of the rails for the cattle to stick their head through. I thought about welding diagonals in were I took the pipe out put not sure it would be necessary.

Second option is to order the continuous feed panels from Corbin Steel. They have a good website but the panels look pricey.

Not sure if the pic above will show up but it looks like the best option to me. I just can't find the cable brackets anywhere.

Let me know if you find those cable brackets...i've seen them at a dairy and looked for a few hours on the internet unsuccessfully as well.

jdg said:
Let me know if you find those cable brackets...i've seen them at a dairy and looked for a few hours on the internet unsuccessfully as well.

check here for them

https://www.farmerboyag.com/

spent a good while tooling through the website and couldn't find them...where were they located at site?

Latest posts