Feeder Alfalfa

Help Support CattleToday:

gusea305

Reaction score
I need some help here folks. We are down to a few days of grass hay and I am not interested in paying 350 to 400 a ton for more if I can keep from it. I still have about a dozen haylage bales, and a semi load of 1300# bales of feeder alfalfa.

What will happen if I feed straight alfalfa? I was kicking around the idea feeding straight haylage for about 3 days so they would be in a food coma before putting out the alfalfa.

What do you guys think here?

Is this something I can get away with for the next 4-6 weeks before they go back out on pasture? What kind of problems can I run into here?

Thank you for your time and consideration here.

my cows get pretty much straight alfalfa as soon as I need to start feeding hay in the fall/winter with no problem. if it is high in protein, they may be a little loose so don't walk to close behind them incase they cough. protein to low will cause dark dry manure. if possible, it would be better to mix the haylage and alfalfa together for a few days to let their rumens adjust a bit before feeding the alfalfa strait. around here, the alfalfa sells higher than the mixed grass hay.

my cows get pretty much straight alfalfa as soon as I need to start feeding hay in the fall/winter with no problem. if it is high in protein, they may be a little loose so don't walk to close behind them incase they cough. protein to low will cause dark dry manure. if possible, it would be better to mix the haylage and alfalfa together for a few days to let their rumens adjust a bit before feeding the alfalfa strait. around here, the alfalfa sells higher than the mixed grass hay.
Thanks. I will give it a shot. Yeah alfalfa is more expensive here too. My partner didn't want the company to put out the money. I knew we were going to have a difficult time so after repeated no's I bought it myself. It was early enough in the season that it wasn't too bad. He thought it was a dumb idea and now he is coming to me about it a little on the sheepish side lol. I knew if we didn't use it I could sell it at a profit. I am really glad I did.

Thanks. I will give it a shot. Yeah alfalfa is more expensive here too. My partner didn't want the company to put out the money. I knew we were going to have a difficult time so after repeated no's I bought it myself. It was early enough in the season that it wasn't too bad. He thought it was a dumb idea and now he is coming to me about it a little on the sheepish side lol. I knew if we didn't use it I could sell it at a profit. I am really glad I did.
More expensive but if you can limit feed them like we used to do with small square bales it won't take much per cow per day so it could actually be cheaper.

Alfalfa most of the rime is actually better for cattle then grass hay anyway. Way more nutrients and minerals then grass hay. You will probably have to adjust the amount that you feed . You usually won't need to feed as much alfalfa as grass hay. Grass hay takes 2-3 days to pass through the digestive system alfalfa will pass through the digestive system in one day . So your cattle may not look as full as when they are fed grass hay . Because it doesn't stay in the gut as long.

If you can get your hands on some straw oats, barley, wheat you can feed 2/3 straw 1/3 alfalfa.

Rye grass straw would work, only thing is possible high levels of Endophyte. I feed my cows on a 3 day rotation. day 1- 45lbs/HD hay rolled out so everyone gets a fair chance, and 60lbs/HD straw in bale rings. Day 2- straw in rings. Day 3 - 9lbs of ddgs/HD and remainder of straw in rings.
On a per day basis 15lbs hay, 20lbs straw, 3lbs ddgs. That is based on a daytime temperature of 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

Been feeding feeder alfalfa to cattle for over 40 years . No need for any additional feed source or to mix it with anything else
Alfalfa is one of the cheapest feed choices available if you actually figure cost /nutrient value

Latest posts