feeds for cattle and hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
i am wanting a corn mix from somebody on here that will work good for cows and hogs. what about corn and soybean mill or dg. also heard about using alfafa pellets with ground corn. so if somebody can come up with a simple feed ration that would meet the needs of both hogs and cattle please help

trin":wltrxsd3 said:
i am wanting a corn mix from somebody on here that will work good for cows and hogs. what about corn and soybean mill or dg. also heard about using alfafa pellets with ground corn. so if somebody can come up with a simple feed ration that would meet the needs of both hogs and cattle please help

I am by no means an expert but I always thought hogs would need their feed ground up super fine and that was not good for cattle?

While it is true that hogs eat a little bit of everything - you really need feed designed for the specific needs of the species in question. Hog feed needs to be ground corn (no cob) with a concentrated supplement (several manufacturers make these) - for growing hogs we use a 16% protein mix and 12% for breeding stock. This needs to be ground to about the consistency of cornmeal - maybe one/two screens coarser. You could buy the pre-mixed ration from Purina which is great feed for show animals but a little pricey for commercial applications.

Trin, where you are the cattle should be good on grass soon. The hogs would do fine on shelled corn and a supplement that fits the particular use of the animal. Hi-pro suppliment like sow-38 for brood sows with pigs, 14% grower for smaller growing pigs and a finisher concentrate for topping them out. All these are fed with corn. Usually about a coffee can per day to each animal. You can cost yourself a ton of money looking for a universal miracle feed. Its not always economical.

Pig feeds are too high in energy for cattle, commercial pig feeds have additives that will accumulate and eventually poison cattle, notably copper sulphate. Pigs need different feeds at different stages of growth or pregnancy,I use three rations on just the breeding sows.
I can supply copies of rations I used when I did my own mixes on my own farm if it will help.

Latest posts