Feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

MLCLARK

Reaction score
I'm new to cattle. I bought 5 brangus cows, all bread. My pasture if full of coastal grass, not in the best of shape, it was fertilized this year, limed two years ago, has some weeds. Cows are on about 20 ac. The grass is not lush green like some pastures. My queston is with bread cows is it safe to feed range cubes in small amounts, and will it do harm to the unborn calves? Thanks.

No problem feeding range cubes in small amounts.
What ever you feed do it on a regular basis. It does not do them any good to do it just one time a week. The rumen system has microbes that break down the grass. It takes a deferent microbe to break down the starches. These microbes are present but in small numbers. They must be allowed to grow in order to break down the feed. So whenever you change to feed or back to forage you should do it slowly. Many range cubes are made up useing alfalpha and others are made up useing a lot of grain. Not a big deal when feeding small amounts.

We feed range cubes from time to time as a way to train them to come when we call and to stay used to us. It is such a treat to them, they love them.

I have always heard that you don't want to feed alot towards the end of the pregnancy so the calf won't be too big. I'm not sure if that is true or not. We were told at one point that we were feeding way too much but the calves were small. We don't put much out now just enough so everyone gets a little bit.

MLCLARK":2gguyhhn said:
I'm new to cattle. I bought 5 brangus cows, all bread. My pasture if full of coastal grass, not in the best of shape, it was fertilized this year, limed two years ago, has some weeds. Cows are on about 20 ac. The grass is not lush green like some pastures. My queston is with bread cows is it safe to feed range cubes in small amounts, and will it do harm to the unborn calves? Thanks.
========
ML...,

See September issue of progressive farmer...page B-30. New studies show that smaller amounts 3/4 times weekly...at different times each day.... is better than large amounts...where forage is available.

Helps the bugs in the rumen for better digestability and increase nutrient extraction and urges animals to eat more forage.

We give cubes in the winter and to supplement when hay/pasture get poor. We look for cubes with no Urea. We have read where it might be detrimental to pregnancy. So we by a 20% CP cube (urea free) from our feed store that the cows seem to like and do well on.

It is also nice to keep them coming up to feed every so often. It makes moving them much easier. They just follow the feed!

My grandson is doing a 4 H steer. We just weaned and have taken his steer and a special heifer into the barn. He was told that he should feed hay and either te pellets 14% protien or 18% oat mix.

I thought I read somewhere that the rumen produces enymes for one or the other but not both. I always thougt they had to have rougage hay etc. Is it OK to feed hay and supliment with oats?

His is for 4 H my heifer I want to get staceked up to breed her in the summer and the pasture won't do it

Thanks

Mind .... what kind of steer do you have (surely not holstein). As for the heifer, I'd feed her a good commerical feed along with the hay and plenty of exercise. The last thing you want for a holstein show heifer is for her to be too fat.

The steer will compete in the "others or crosbred". He is maybe 75% black angus he is all black except small patch on gut.

We decided on the mix from the local mill sells with 29% protien and is what most are using around here.

Can anyone help our boy from Tenn with the correct usage of "bred", "breed" and bread.