feeding rice to cattel

Help Support CattleToday:

peb

Reaction score
has anybody out there ever feed or know about feeding rice to cattel. i have recently gain access to 40 tons of rice and i am wondering if could be feed to my heard.

peb":2vwk71l9 said:
has anybody out there ever feed or know about feeding rice to cattel. i have recently gain access to 40 tons of rice and i am wondering if could be feed to my heard.

As a grain, I would think it would be okay to feed to cattle. Like any other grain, you probably would want to introduce it into their diet slowly.I've seen cattle be fed stranger things. We have alot of vegetable growers in the area. One of the guys near here feeds them the carrots, turnips and potatoes that don't make the grade. I would wonder with the rice if it would be better to mill it than feed it whole. Interesting question. If
I had 40 tons of rice, I'd probably make a whole lot of Saki. ;-)

i feed a pellet in creep feeders and and to my cows that i am getting in condition to sell that is combination rice hulls and corn. the cattle really like the rice hulls, so i am sure that whole rice mixed with soybean meal or cotton seed meal or ground corn would be an outstanding feed, depending on your feeding purpose

I was looking into feeding rice hulls since there is a few dryers in the area and I remember seeing somewhere that rice hulls have little to no nutritional value to cows, it is simply a filler. Is that true?

sidney411":2fprvreh said:
I was looking into feeding rice hulls since there is a few dryers in the area and I remember seeing somewhere that rice hulls have little to no nutritional value to cows, it is simply a filler. Is that true?

True Grasshopper but rice bran is good stuff if you can get your hands on it.

peb":1zdroh0f said:
I have never fed or had experience with anyone who has fed rice, however I do have a question concerning it. Inasmuch as one uses rice in the kitchen, and it is mixed with water - voila! It swel-l-l-l-s. I wonder if that might happen with cattle if they drink a lot of water in conjunction with the rice? ? ?? If it is mixed with soy beans as Farminlund suggests or, as Cattle Rack mentions - start it gradually (which I suggest almost always with something new) that might work okay. If I had 40 tons of anything I would sure look into feeding it! Also, get hold of a recent edition of "Feeds and Feeding". I'll bet that will have some ideas on Rice feeding. I know rice hulls are okay, but not much nutritional value to it.

sydney, that is true, there is very little nutritional value to the hulls. in the pellet mix i use it is with corn and it must have some flavor or there is something about it that is beneficial because the cattle love it and they do real well on it, 13 percent protein for 5.50 per hundred of pellets in 50 lb bags or add 50 cents per hundred for medicated. i have a couple of neighbors who let tindles and mfa talk them into their calf feeds at 9-9.50 per hundred and their cattle didnt do nearly as well, so they are back to feeding the corn and rice hull pellets again---i am sure that the whole rice would have considerable nutrition

We feed whole rice just like you would go to Sam's & buy in bulk, to 550# weaned steers. They gained about 3 pounds a day. We just wanted to see if they would eat it and how they would digest the rice. I feed 5 pounds rice, 3 pounds whole corn per steer and free choice junk hay. I watched the stol closley and found very little whole corn and no whole rice. The calves perfered the rice, every now and then they would leave a little corn but never any rice. I wanted to see for myself if they would eat the rice because so many people advised against it. The problem is we don't have a consistant supply near by and the freight cost makes rice to expensive to feed for me.

Feeds with Rice Hulls are what I label "Junk Feeds".They are there to satisfy a lot of people who want a cheap feed. Generally, they make a Lady out of a Tramp by mixing Rice Hulls with Molasses, and cracked corn, and some pellets. to boost the protein. It's appealing to the consumer because it looks OK and Smells OK, and is cheap. Cattle will get no energy, no nutrition, just filled on the stuff. Most Mills with any integrity will not manufacture feeds with a Rice Hull base.But for some folks on a budget that have cattle, buy the stuff anyway. For $2.00 more per hundred wt. they could get a good feed.

i really dont care about rice hulls, iam talking about whole grain rice just like you use in your home ..... thanks to all who took time to read and replay

crowder, i dont have any experience with other feeds with rice hulls, and i am sure you are correct on the majority of them. the one that i feed is 13 percent protein and steamed, rolled corn in pellets that really make the calves and cows produce.
there isnt 2 dollars difference in price between this and cattle charge and other big mill feeds, there is 4-4.50 difference per hundred. Each of my neighbors were talked into trying the expensive feed over the rice hull base because of the same argument went right back to the corn and hulls. those other feeds werent even close in what they did to the calves and cost an extra 4 dollars per hundred. we arent big farmers, they only wean out and feed about 200 calves per year each but even with those numbers that 4 dollars for feed and less weight gain on calves made a huge economical impact.
i had tried several feeds before this and once i tried this there has never been a reason to change. this "junk feed" will definitely stay in these creep feeders and in front of these cows to get them ready to sell with babies. during jan-march i feed 20-25 bags of this per day to cows as well as another 20 or so in the creep feeders and that equals about 200 dollars per day extra the mill feed would cost for producing calves that wont weigh as much and cows that wont look as good-----for me, it is economics, not the fancy large mill name and label

stocky":2j6fhvha said:
crowder, i dont have any experience with other feeds with rice hulls, and i am sure you are correct on the majority of them. the one that i feed is 13 percent protein and steamed, rolled corn in pellets that really make the calves and cows produce.
there isnt 2 dollars difference in price between this and cattle charge and other big mill feeds, there is 4-4.50 difference per hundred. Each of my neighbors were talked into trying the expensive feed over the rice hull base because of the same argument went right back to the corn and hulls. those other feeds werent even close in what they did to the calves and cost an extra 4 dollars per hundred. we arent big farmers, they only wean out and feed about 200 calves per year each but even with those numbers that 4 dollars for feed and less weight gain on calves made a huge economical impact.
i had tried several feeds before this and once i tried this there has never been a reason to change. this "junk feed" will definitely stay in these creep feeders and in front of these cows to get them ready to sell with babies. during jan-march i feed 20-25 bags of this per day to cows as well as another 20 or so in the creep feeders and that equals about 200 dollars per day extra the mill feed would cost for producing calves that wont weigh as much and cows that wont look as good-----for me, it is economics, not the fancy large mill name and label

Stocky, If it's economics, then you have to go for it.I agree with the fancy feeds, being way too high. Some of them are not near what they're cracked up to be.If you are seeing results why stop? If it ain't broke don't fix it... We sell some brands that are geographic to our area. Moderately priced, but good ingredients.

Latest posts