Feeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

Dale L

Reaction score
We just bought six replacement heifers. They are Feb. and March calves weighing from around 500 - 700 lbs. How would you feed them to maximize their growth this winter with minimal cost? We have plenty of hay but it is not of the highest quality. A lot of it was over ripe before we could get it cut due to weather. We have some pasture that has not been grazed yet but not enough to last the entire winter. Here are three options we have considered.
1) Just turn them out on the pasture with the rest of the herd and let them have access to hay.

2) Feed hay and supplement with corn.

3) Feed hay and supplement with a protein tub or something similar.

Why not give them 4-5 lbs. per head per day of 20% range cubes to supplement the low quality hay? You just want to let them grow up...not get fat.

We turn ours out on stockpiled fescue that was clipped in July and allowed to regrow. We feed 3-4 pounds of 14% feed per head per day. We keep a bit of fresh hay available and as the grass disappears they eat more hay. In the spring as the grass grows they still eat some hay. The last month before putting them with the bull we cut out the grain and they're done with the hay, too.

If your pasture is not good quality then feeding the cubes is a good idea for raising the protein without feeding too much concentrates.

I just aim to have them a minimum of 800 lbs at breeding and ready to keep on growing just on pasture at breeding time. Our Feb & Mar yearlings are 1100 lbs right now, and due in Feb & Mar. These heifers should be a frame score 5, and weigh 1200 lbs at a bcs of 5 when mature. You should adjust feeding based on your expectations of how big you think they'll get.

I would test your hay and then you can determine exactly what they need if anything. I'd also keep them seperated if you can so you can feed them what they need. Tubs are for convenience only; hand feeding is more cost effective. You can also generally get a mixed feed at the mill that is cheaper and can be mixed to your needed specs.

TB's right, grow them not fatten them.

I have always raide my heifer as a seperate bunch and kept them seperate until after AI and they were turned with the cleanup bull along with the cows and then became part of the cow herd.

this year with my reduced herd....I only had one keeper heifer....after she was weaned...I put her back with the cows....

now I call my little herd up every evening and just give them a handfull of feed just because that is the easiest way to see them after work in the short sunlight season...it has been amazing to watch that cow and calf continue their bond and for the cow to continue to show the heifer the ropes....the cow has calved again and the three of them hang out together....Now I do give the heifer a little more feed than the handful of corn I give the cows...but with my headlocks that is easy to do....

Latest posts