Feeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

Draxxin is the best I've ever used for pnuemonia.Micotil is pretty good but I don't like living on the edge.

The thing is with that though Baytril and NuFlor are through the vet only.

Can you get that Draxxin at Co-Op or Tractor Supply?

Anyway I have to use Penicilin for now because thats all I have.

EDIT: I do have ONE dose of Baytril left for the heifer that the vet left me in a syringe.

Draxxin is a prescription drug (vet only). It's also expensive... about $4/cc.

I'd try the penn first since that's what you have and are using, but if the heifer doesn't respond to the pennicillin, give her the Baytril. Is it a one-time dose, or is it for multi-day therapy?

milkmaid":iz7zodt6 said:
300lb calf needs more like 10-15cc's of pennicillin. The dosages on the bottle don't do a thing.
i tdepends on the ppenicillan. i give 20cc to 1050 lbs calves. it depends on the brand. with my penicillain i give 1cc to pigglets, 2cc in the nursery, 4cc to the grower hogs, and then i give 10cc to mature sows, gilts, and boars

milkmaid":3bgogzy3 said:
300lb calf needs more like 10-15cc's of pennicillin. The dosages on the bottle don't do a thing.
i tdepends on the ppenicillan. i give 20cc to 1050 lbs calves. it depends on the brand. with my penicillain i give 1cc to pigglets, 2cc in the nursery, 4cc to the grower hogs, and then i give 10cc to mature sows, gilts, and boars

Moocow11":u20k6ld4 said:
milkmaid":u20k6ld4 said:

25cc's of the longer lasting, stronger stuff to a 550lb calf - per my vet - for post-surgery prevention of infection...

regardless of brand, there's only two types sold to us commoners; pennicillin procaine (short acting), and pennicillin procaine and benazthine (long lasting)...

...the dosages on the bottle won't do a thing other than make bacteria resistant.

Latest posts