Feeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

Mongoose

Reaction score
What kinds of things can you give or do to a bull to make him eat? This is that same bull from the other thread "Bull Help" Hes not all droopy anymore but he still lays down most of the day and wont really eat all that much. I mean he trys, but he is mostly surviving off water. Think he might have worms? Thats all the only other thing I can think of. What would make a bull not want to eat?

This is gonna sound like a broken record from me...

Sprinkle some probios over his food...and give him a shot of B complex.

Alice

Have you run a fever stick up his butt to see if he has a temp or worse yet, a depressed temp?

Yes about. I am not for sure because we bought him at the sale barn. Called the vet and he said that its normal for calves his age, hes just lacking in vitamins. He said get him some Vitamin A-D and Vitamin B Complex and he should be fine. Well hes not any better and we called him back and hes going to come out and check him out. Also one of our heifers just last night caught whatever that bull has I think. She is all droopy eyed and breathing weird. Anyway, the vet should be here in a few hours so I think they will be ok.

Two months old and surviving on water plus some feed?

If this guy is weaned (?) - in my opinion it is far too early. That may be part of your prob.

Be curious to see what the veterinarian has to say - and glad to see you are a person who has made that telephone call.

Far too many come here looking for the answer to health probs and after spending the money buying an animal would not consider protecting their investment with a call to the veterinarian.

Let us know what transpires.

Regards

Bez>

Alice":s01oynuw said:
This is gonna sound like a broken record from me...

Sprinkle some probios over his food...and give him a shot of B complex.

Alice

Do you get Rumix in the USA? Or is Probios your equivalent?

If you do, worm him with a good quality injectable ivermectin, like Ivomec. Mix one sachet Rumix with 2 pints of lukewarm water and drench him with that. If he eats sprinkle the dry rumix over his feed.

if you can't do either dilute 2 pints of brown grape vinegar with equal amount water, stir 1 cup of brown sugar in and heat just enough for the sugar to dissolve, mix one sachet of brewers yeast in and drench/tube him with that.

He had what I thought he had from the very start. Viral Pnuemonia. The vet came out, and took a look at him and told me that hes not going to make it, and theres no use in wasteing money. Sure enough, I ran into town right after the vet left to get some things and came back and he was dead. I was treating for that when I first got him, but he was to weak and had it for to long already. There was nothing I could do. One of my heifers caught it from him too, so the vet fix her all up. She had a 104 fever, and he said she had pnuemonia. He gave he a long lasting Antibiotic and 1 shot of Vitamin A-D and 1 shot of Vitamin B Complex.

He gave me 1 more dose of that Antibiotic to give her on the 28th, and he said give 4cc of Penicilin once a day for I think 3 days. Thing is the Penicilin I have, says on the back to limit to 2 doses. Will it hurt to give her to much?

Mongoose":1ss7kcv2 said:
Shes close to 300lbs.

What kind of penicillin are you using? 4 cc's of any kind of penicillin I'm familiar with is not enough to do anything, with the possible exception of increasing the number of penicillin resistant bugs.

300lb calf needs more like 10-15cc's of pennicillin. The dosages on the bottle don't do a thing.

milkmaid":1qctk46w said:
300lb calf needs more like 10-15cc's of pennicillin. The dosages on the bottle don't do a thing.

Exactly, when I worked for the hog company we used 1 cc of PennG on a ~five lb pig, 2 ccs in the nursery, 6 ccs on a 100 lb grower hog, 12 ccs on a 180 lb top hog or first party ~350 lb sow, and 20 ccs on a mature sow or boar. 10 injected intramuscularly in the neck and 10 on the other side.

Its a combo-penicilin. The vet said to give 4-5 cc every other day. Its got 2 things in it, I am not sure of the exact name.

Mongoose":rgo2lvyx said:
Its a combo-penicilin. The vet said to give 4-5 cc every other day. Its got 2 things in it, I am not sure of the exact name.

Twin Penn. It's a long-lasting pennicillin with 150,000 units of penn procaine (short acting), and 150,000 units of penn benzathine (long acting). 4-5cc's every other day is still not enough for anything short of a dog, and even then it might be low.

The information on the label of any drug only tells you what's in it and how it was used during the testing period and what the results were (ie withdrawal) based on the dosage they used. The drug company picks a dosage and gets the drug approved/certified based on that... and it may or may not mean the drug is effective at that dosage.

We use Twin Penn at 60cc's to a mature cow for post-surgery infection prevention.

So how much should I give a 350lb steer, and a 250-300lb heifer? Both have pneumonia. Which kind?....I have no clue.

Every 24 hours.

IMO, with a 104 fever I'd give that dose daily for 5 days straight, then switch to every other day for 2-3 more days for a total treatment of 7-8 days, unless there's an immediate response, in which case I might only go with 5 days of pennicillin.

Personally though... I prefer Baytril or Nuflor to pennicillin, at least for pneumonia.

Latest posts