feeding out steers

Help Support CattleToday:

wood2

Reaction score
:hat: What will put weight on steers to get ready to butcher. What if any med do you give when you start? I have had a couple of steers up I've been putting corn and 12% feed besides good hay with alfalfa and clover seem fine and putting on weight , this is just first time we have decided to feed out ourselves.

Some one experienced with feeding out to go to market please reply!

I have two 750-800# steers one is black angus the other is brangus. I would like to get them up over 1000#.

I'd say corn as well, start slow and build up. If by meds you mean steriods/implants, stay away from them ~ you don't need it. Sounds like you are doing as you should. Ought to be some good stuff by the time you are done!

wood2-

if you know the vaccination history of the calves is up to date, o.k. if not, i'd give them a round of shots. 7-way, blackleg W/homopholus somnus, IBR/PI3, pour on for worms & int/ext parasites, and would also give a shot for pasturella.

for 750-800 lb. angus or angusX calves, you could expect to feed a minimum of 3000 lbs. of corn based feed to get them to finished condition, along with free choice hay (depending on your feed ration).
Corn and soybean meal is a pretty simple ration, starting out at about 14% protein level and decreasing protein as you increase feed level. you could start out with about 8lbs/hd/day and work up to 16 lbs./hd/day in about 2 wks. time. once they're eating about 2% their body wt. you will want to have their protein level back to about 11%, and they should be pretty close to full feed condition. after this time, increase feed level just enough that they can't quite clean it all up - over a 24 hr. period. from this point on, monitor their feed intake - keeping just enough in front of them to maintain full feed condition. the free choice hay could/should be a low quality roughage. don't need the alfalfa when fed in this manner. this method will likely take more than 3000 lbs. of feed/hd. to properly finish.

another option is to bring the calves up to full feed on corn and purina impact 44 with free choice low quality hay. at full feed the calves should again be eating close to 16 lbs./hd/day. then take away the hay and let 'em eat all the ration they want. simple, easy, and they won't eat quite so much. when they are near finished condition, they won't eat more than 22-24 lbs/hd/day. whereas in the first option above they will be eating well over 30 lbs./hd/day + the hay.

there are a lot of other ways to feed an animal but these two ways are easy and will work well.

in your post you mentioned taking them up to around 1000 lbs. small framed heifers will sometimes finish out near 1000 lbs., but typical angus, angusX steers will more likely weigh up 1300 lbs or more. there is a lot of good info on this forum which describes what a properly finished animal should look like. good luck. :D

ROB

TNMasterBeefProducer":1r1nhrov said:
Then he goes to M&M mars candy factory and buys the reject candy.
dang ~ must take forever to open all those little bags! :shock:

:tiphat: Thanks for all the info, very useful! In reply to the fella with the orange peels and m&m's candy sounds awfully sweet to me, never heard of such, let us know what it is and if it works!

wood2":1n7efot0 said:
:tiphat: Thanks for all the info, very useful! In reply to the fella with the orange peels and m&m's candy sounds awfully sweet to me, never heard of such, let us know what it is and if it works!

Just a side note. If you happen on a free semi load of peanut butter don't bother trying to make a ration out of this. Just doesn't work. Not good, not good at all. But it will feed out one fantastic hog. Say one like Hogzilla. ;-) :secret: Ooops, I forgot, it was wild. :lol2:

TNMasterBeefProducer":2sgwls4g said:
It aint in bags. LOL! Would take along time if it was like that. Instead he takes metal drums and gets them filled with the m&M candy.

Are thoey the rejects because the blond inspector says they have Ws on them?

dun":nen0f89w said:
Are thoey the rejects because the blond inspector says they have Ws on them?
Watch it cowboy ~ gettin' a little big for yer britches there! :lol2: :cowboy:

Side note - question.

I have a friend in Canada, we were talking about the "feeding out" and finishing. When I mentioned corn, she gasped. Seems that then they are finishing a cow, or pig or chicken, they feed barley.

Any comments on this?

Latest posts