Feeding out steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What is the best way to feed out steer? What age , what rations, how long? Does the time of the year make a difference? I would love all the info anybody has! Thanks much! Kelly

[email protected]

> What is the best way to feed out
> steer? What age , what rations,
> how long? Does the time of the
> year make a difference? I would
> love all the info anybody has!
> Thanks much! Kelly

There are so many factors to consider when determining how to feed out a steer including what feed resources are available and at what costs.

Most cattle in the US are finished off for at least the last 90+ days on a grain based diet, but there are also some that feed out their steers on an exclusive forage based diet.

If you are planning on showing your steer then you also need to consider when the steer will be shown so that you can have him at his ideal weight for the show. I would start by talking to your local feed dealers to see what they recommend and the costs involved.

Also check with the extension agent in your area. They should have rations on file that consists of ingredients available for your area.

We usually purchase nice steers in the spring (Apr-May), weaned and in good condition 500-600 lbs, the grass is growing and the grow well with it. We feed a corn mixture and slowly bring them to full feed (all they can eat). Depends on your area what feeds are available or will be cost effective for you. By mid winter (Jan-Feb) they are good size and ready for butchering, approx 15 months old. They sure taste good when its done. donna

> What is the best way to feed out
> steer? What age , what rations,
> how long? Does the time of the
> year make a difference? I would
> love all the info anybody has!
> Thanks much! Kelly

[email protected]

Latest posts